List Mgmt. Trading pick 3 - Who wants it???

Which club are we dealing with?

• Brisbane

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Western Bulldogs

• North Melbourne

• West Coast

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmm not sure to be honest. I can see the argument for keeping the pick

I can also see the benefit of using it for Luko. But that would be the only player I would use it on.

If you forecast that a pick 3 gets a 10 year player then getting Luko guarantees that for the AFC. and not to cast aspersions on an Ash or Young but can you say they stay here for 10?

The other thing to think of long term is we may have a pick in a similar range next year. Do we forecast 2 top 5 picks driving the club forward for the next 10?
Yeah agree, we need as much elite talent as we can get over the next few years as we go through this rebuild. If we can get Luko this year with pick 3 we definitely take it.

Then next year we take the best available mid with our likely top 5 pick. We have holes all over the ground so we need to fill them when we can. Luko and Fog set up our forward line for the next 10 years.

Yeah agree, we need as much elite talent as we can get over the next few years as we go through this rebuild. If we can get Luko this year with pick 3 we definitely take it.

Then next year we take the best available mid with our likely top 5 pick. We have holes all over the ground so we need to fill them when we can. Luko and Fog set up our forward line for the next 10 years.
One hole at a time.

I thought the rules were that you get a RFA pick right after your first round pick?
Can be - there are different levels of compo depending on AFL's secret herbs & spices formula. Don't know if it would be the same now but back in 2011 with GWS:

Phil Davis from Adelaide was the first player to announce a move to Greater Western Sydney as an uncontracted player signing.[6] After the season had ended, Palmer, Scully and Ward also announced moves to the Giants. As compensation, Scully was rated as a top-level player, resulting in Melbourne receiving both a first-round and a mid-first round draft pick as compensation. Davis and Ward were rated as second-level, earning Adelaideand Western Bulldogs a first round compensation selection, and Palmer was rated a third-level player, giving Fremantle an end of first round selection

(from wikiped.)

And GC got their first round compo for Tom Lynch last year right after their r1 pick so that seems to be the rule.

So much water to go under the bridge, ie; compensation, FA picks, trades etc etc - but as it currently stands..... With a need to split this pick into multiple picks, Who and what do we deal this pick with?

I personally think GWS / Lions our best bet. (thinking long term, espescially when GWS get a 1st round compo pick for RFA Coniglio)

CURRENT PICKS:

View attachment 730006

I wonder if the Gold Coast could consider this

Jenkins and 27 for 18

And then Carlton would do Keath and 18 for pick 9

Leaving us with 3, 9 and 21 for Keath, jenkins and pick 27

Then we could seriously consider going pick 3 for Lukosius

Greenwood to the hawks for 28???
Atkins to Melbourne for 38

Going to the draft with pick 9, 21, 28 and 38

I wonder if the Gold Coast could consider this

Jenkins and 27 for 18

And then Carlton would do Keath and 18 for pick 9

Leaving us with 3, 9 and 21 for Keath, jenkins and pick 27

Then we could seriously consider going pick 3 for Lukosius

Greenwood to the hawks for 28???
Atkins to Melbourne for 38

Going to the draft with pick 9, 21, 28 and 38
While I got confused with the PS level of trading

9 gets you Gould , 21 might see Stephens still available (maybe live trade 21 and 38 for top 15 pick depending on conversations previous)

Then 28 is a lottery

While I got confused with the PS level of trading

9 gets you Gould , 21 might see Stephens still available (maybe live trade 21 and 38 for top 15 pick depending on conversations previous)

Then 28 is a lottery

I love how some people try and play this line as an insult. I’m not a recruiter, list manager or footy managers. Every post is just a guess.

But thanks for your reply.

I love how some people try and play this line as an insult. I’m not a recruiter, list manager or footy managers. Every post is just a guess.

But thanks for your reply.
It wasnt an insult, it was genuine confusion as to how some people can play with those numbers . I get lost in my old mans head

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought the rules were that you get a RFA pick right after your first round pick?

I am not aware that is the case. I am of the understanding a compensation pick is determined by the AFL using a formula no one nows about......in other words they'll pull somthing out their rectum.
If I were a club trading for BCrouch I wouldn't be giving anthying better than a pick around 15, on current form that is a stretch.
Hypothetically if we end up bottom BCrouch is not worth pick 2.

I am not aware that is the case. I am of the understanding a compensation pick is determined by the AFL using a formula no one nows about......in other words they'll pull somthing out their rectum.
If I were a club trading for BCrouch I wouldn't be giving anthying better than a pick around 15, on current form that is a stretch.
Worth a pick top 10

If we can't get Luko this year with pick 3 then I'm open to trading down for a great deal if that's Ogilvie's best advice to Reid.

I'd back Ogilvie to make the best call, though the Gallucci pick eroded some faith.

Let's just hope the best footy player available at our pick has a cleanskin past, intangible leadership qualities and has a wonderful family or we might overlook them.
Ogilvie wanted Tim English at that pick.

Pyke was concerned about our foot speed and said he needed more athleticism, and Gallucci was best available that offered that.

Pyke has said that himself publicly.

Really? Your not at all tired of the mid table picks?

How long we been saying we never get access to the top end talent
12, 13 and 14 aren't midtable picks. And this draft sounds like you can throw a blanket over the next ten picks after Rowell/Anderson.

So what? Neither was Frawley. And Buddy wasn't worth pick 18.

It's totally tied to your ladder finish and always has been.

And after Brad Crouch's B&F winning year this year, we wouldn't trade him for a late first anyway. That's a rubbish pick for him.

12, 13 and 14 aren't midtable picks. And this draft sounds like you can throw a blanket over the next ten picks after Rowell/Anderson.
Mutineer offered some insight into the top end on the draft thread and as he gets to see a number of these guys live he has a different take on the top end. Worth reading

100% agree with you Kristof.

if we could manage to secure 3 or even 4 picks inside the first 20 (for example 12, 13, 14, 18) picks I think that would be a much better outcome than having pick 4 and say pick 16.

Standing Rowell + Anderson and Greene aside,

The next 13-15 guys ; Caleb Serong, Sam Flanders, Lachie Ash, Brodie Kemp, Hayden Young, Deven Robertson, Dylan Stephens, Fisher McAsey, Cody Weightman, Luke Jackson, Will Gould, Josh Worrell, Trent Bianco - all have claims to any pick, and could fall anywhere from 4 to 20 and it seems there isn't much between any of them in terms of absolute talent/value.

I want as many of them as we can get our mits on.

This year it's about getting as many, new fresh faces (with talent) as possible. Adding 1 guy won't have the impact / future value we require.

100% agree with you Kristof.

if we could manage to secure 3 or even 4 picks inside the first 20 (for example 12, 13, 14, 18) picks I think that would be a much better outcome than having pick 4 and say pick 16.

Standing Rowell + Anderson and Greene aside,

The next 13-15 guys ; Caleb Serong, Sam Flanders, Lachie Ash, Brodie Kemp, Hayden Young, Deven Robertson, Dylan Stephens, Fisher McAsey, Cody Weightman, Luke Jackson, Will Gould, Josh Worrell, Trent Bianco - all have claims to any pick, and could fall anywhere from 4 to 20 and it seems there isn't much between any of them in terms of absolute talent/value.

I want as many of them as we can get our mits on.

This year it's about getting as many, new fresh faces (with talent) as possible. Adding 1 guy won't have the impact / future value we require.
With Keath/Greenie/JJ/etc leaving, we might be able to finish up with a good number of mid/late-r1 picks while still holding #4 (BTW thread title should be updated).

Trading down #4 into two r1 picks is likely to be hard anyway. GWS is probably the only club that can do it without involving other clubs in one deal and should approach Dees for their #3 in any case.

Then we'd need to rely on other clubs wanting our #4 for targeting a specific player but maybe they're just as likely to see that large group of similarly desirable players you listed and also be keen to get as many of them as they can.

At least hanging to #4 gives us a chance to target a best of the remaining players outside of Rowell/Ando.

Demons open to trading Pick 3
8bc3af87ee2514624fae262b79c19903

Liam Twomey
Melbourne is open to trading its pick 3.
The Demons were bumped down the draft order by one spot earlier this week when the AFL announced the Gold Coast Suns would be handed the top two selections in the draft.
Demons list boss Josh Mahoney said pick 3 was on the table, for the right deal.
“The recruiters have been at the (draft) combine. They are really excited at what the top end of the draft looks like,” he told SEN.
“We haven’t had a first round pick that we’ve taken to the draft now for three years. Right now, we think there is some real good talent at pick 3.
“But we also know that the top 10 is quality players in there as well. There are some discussions around movement in the top 10. If we go to the draft with pick 3 we will be really happy.
“If there is a deal available to us that involves two picks inside the top 10 then that is something we would look at as well.”

Back