Opinion Trading Scott Pendlebury - the case for and against?

Remove this Banner Ad

The mere sight of the title of this thread makes me feel ill
This 100%.

I won’t say it’s offensive, but it’s really poor. This guy is up there in conversations for top 10 in our entire history.

Incredible disrespectful, hopefully he never sees it.

I think it's OK to conduct this discussion as long as it's respectful. I recognise that embracing a purely strategic & transactional view of life allows us to detach and ponder these scenarios.

My view on Pendles is that he is our on-field leader, potential games holder, and currently in our top 5 players.

Putting aside the fact there is no way we can easily cover the black hole his absence would create on-field, I fear that the damage to morale and culture would be even worse. Not because Scott is one of the lads, he isn't; not because we don't have leaders in waiting, we do; but because of the club we want to be, the kind of club I'd want to support.

I realise that my response is emotional but that pretty much describes my entire Collingwood existence, plus I'm Mediterranean.

<3 those Pies.

Last edited:

Other than his playing stuff, he seems pretty aloof. He doesn't come across as the kind of character that is boing to be a charasmatic changer of culture that players would rally around and try to emulate. I reckon you could het his style of leadership from your assistant coaches, as guys who sit a bit outside the group.

Agree 100%

But if he has serious aspirations to coach (I wouldn’t have bothered to raise the topic if he didn’t) then that’s something he’s going to need to work on and would work on.

I've got no idea why you think the Suns would pay much for him. Hes been a wonderful player and hopefully will continue to be so for the next few years. So he'd give them a short term boost on field, but they'd still be ordinary.

Help with leadership and culture. You can’t put a price on that

I think they should keep all their talented kids and high picks and chase 4 cheap popular role models to change the culture and make it a more fun place to be in order to keep players. I don't think Scott P is the man for that. 4 Levi Greenwoods is what I'd be chasing.

How would that strategy be any different to what they’ve done for the last 10 years? It hasn’t worked for them.

Agree 100%

But if he has serious aspirations to coach (I wouldn’t have bothered to raise the topic if he didn’t) then that’s something he’s going to need to work on and would work on.
Maybe for Scott, but no cllub in their right mind is paying big trade chips to develop some guy innto a coach.
Help with leadership and culture. You can’t put a price on that

My point is that i don't think you create or change a culture from tbe outside. You have to change it from within the core group. I don't think Pendles will be in the core group. I think he'd sit outside much like an assistant coach. So why not just get what he'd offer in this regard from an assistant coach, without offering a huge trade price.
How would that strategy be any different to what they’ve done for the last 10 years? It hasn’t worked for them.
I think it's different to GC past. To me the big Gold Coast stuff up was that they didn't pay enough attention to the senior players they were building a club around. You hear stories about early leadership at GC and kids had the post game choice of praying with Gaz, partying with Brennan or getting into a fight with Brown. I'm not saying that Pendles fits into one of those categories, but I think he'd just add a very serious disciplined option that wouldn't have many takers.

I think its start from scratch time for GC culture. Get in a group of really hard working, but easy going fun guys to create that culture. That's winning culture for footy clubs in my eyes. Basically I don't think Pendles personality type is suited to culture building and definitely not the type of fun culture that is going to entice people to stay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back