Trading the #1 pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Given their is no clear number 1 pick this year it would be hard to find buyers willing to pay the usual cost of pick 1. Best bet is a team outside the top 10 offering a first and second

So we turn that down and take it to the draft?

Only will happen if the offer is too good to refuse. Only club I could see doing it is the Giants, but I don't think it's likely.
GWS will have minimal interest in pick 1, list management have flagged for some time that they will take academy picks by preference last year and again this year, last year they stuck 100% to script, no reason to think they wont do the same this year.

So we turn that down and take it to the draft?
Pretty much. In the draft years where Boyd, Whitfield, swallow, etc were always the clear cut number 1 heads and shoulders above the rest then pick 1 has its maximum value. The only reason Essendon would be willing to part with pick 1 is because there's 3-4 players that are worth my to be pick 1. Why sell the farm for 1 when you could pay less for pick 3 and still get a player rated to go at 1

Pick 1 will still be on the table but can't see anyone taking it unless it's part of a trade to lure a big fish but I just don't see that happening

Personally i'd rather we just use the pick #1. I kind of wish the AFL would just stop the trades made purely to gain academy points - it really is a distortion of the drafting system. Although i will concede its one of the few distortions that really favour bottom teams (ie the ones with more high draft picks).

I say take the #1 pick. Celebrate the end of a lousy era and look forward to the future. We will have a really talented kid that is highly rated and will improve our club. Trading the #1 pick is easily something that could come back to bite the club in the future anyway so unless we get a favourable deal (and I don't know why another club would participate) then just take the pick and move on.

I would not consider bidding on an academy player unless we wanted to take them and genuinely rated them above all the other draftees.

I wish we had picks 1 & 2 for McCluggage & Brodie. I just cant split them. Both good in their own way. Yes Clugga is in front but think we need more of Brodie.

Id be shattered if we traded 1 for JOM. Its fustrating never seeing talent play due to injuries and he is approaching the point where he stops improving too.

Who says we even use it?
I'm hoping we don't even get it.
Still mathematically possible for us to avoid it.
Hoping for a Cats win by 100 plus today and us to make a game of it against the Dogs and take the fight to the last round atleast

Personally i'd rather we just use the pick #1. I kind of wish the AFL would just stop the trades made purely to gain academy points - it really is a distortion of the drafting system. Although i will concede its one of the few distortions that really favour bottom teams (ie the ones with more high draft picks).

I say take the #1 pick. Celebrate the end of a lousy era and look forward to the future. We will have a really talented kid that is highly rated and will improve our club. Trading the #1 pick is easily something that could come back to bite the club in the future anyway so unless we get a favourable deal (and I don't know why another club would participate) then just take the pick and move on.

I would not consider bidding on an academy player unless we wanted to take them and genuinely rated them above all the other draftees.

Trading #1 is very likely to bite, because every player that comes good out of the draft year will be marked EFC could have drafted him. Logically it makes sense to split into two picks to minimise draft risk but clubs and fans don't behave logically when it comes to very top end draft picks.

Trading #1 is very likely to bite, because every player that comes good out of the draft year will be marked EFC could have drafted him. Logically it makes sense to split into two picks to minimise draft risk but clubs and fans don't behave logically when it comes to very top end draft picks.

To be honest I think when it comes to the top pick - if you have a fail (or in this case trade the pick away) you only really compare what you got with the top couple of picks (say top 3 or top 5). Lets face it no one is hounding the club who took Player X (sorry too lazy to check) at number 1 instead of Fyfe because Fyfe was well down the order and wasn't even considered for a top pick at the time. Nobody expects the team with the number 1 pick to choose the guy that ends up going pick 45 who is pretty high risk high reward and happens to turn out the best in his draft.

That said I agree with your point that clubs and fans don't behave logically with very top end draft picks. The perception of having the top picks almost has an intangible value all on its own. Just think of Carlton last year with the number 1 pick - standing out in front of the draft camp proudly welcoming Weitering to the club. Immediately people's perception of Carlton's talent went up as well (they had other top picks too) but it definitely builds excitement. That excitement and anticipation may end up selling memberships that year. It probably has a real financial value attached to it. That's not even the obvious benefit to the team of having someone that will almost definitely be a pretty good AFL player at worst.

So if say Pick 60 becomes a gun, fans will blame Essendon for not taking him at Pick 1? No, because at the time they'd be the stupidest people ever to do that. Similar to the Fyfe scenario. Do you think he was going to be taken Pick 1? If a late pick becomes a gun, the teams around that pick will be the ones that will be marked as a possible draftee for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meh, the draft is one big lotto. Sometimes the surest of prospects turns into Tambling. Sometimes you overlook Luke Parker for a Thor lookalike with zero footy ability.

Are Essendon not satisfied with bringing the game into disrepute already?

If I was Clayton I'd let them have Bowes. Gives us a chance of picking up a better player in Brodie, McLuggage, SPS or Ainsworth with pick 4, then another with Pick 8 (Melbourne) maybe Venables or McGrath, then a few more along with Scheer with our 4 x picks in the twenties. Jack then gets homesick after 2 years and comes back to the coast for a second rounder.

can we have one thread not sidetracked with the past?

kthanx

Reading through this "some" Essendon supporters have clearly learnt nothing from their clubs recent troubles. Always out to screw another club over for even the smallest gain.

I feel for the majority decent Essendon fans that must cringe when reading some of this stuff

That is precisely what every club does with virtually everything in every sport

what an awesome draft.
cool penalties AFL. :S
What could have been though if we had kept our 1st and 2nd
Bont (our 1st and Crameri for Dogs 1st was on the cards)
Merrett
Fantasia

It's always fun bagging the Dodo for his trade by media game but he's got the drafting really right in the last few years.

Wonder if there was Bomber Thompson influence there - leave recruiting to the recruiter. Cos he made some odd picks in earlier years and I wonder if that was coaches interfering. Speculating.

It's always fun bagging the Dodo for his trade by media game but he's got the drafting really right in the last few years.

Wonder if there was Bomber Thompson influence there - leave recruiting to the recruiter. Cos he made some odd picks in earlier years and I wonder if that was coaches interfering. Speculating.
Steinberg over Parker was probably the one you back on in hindsight and wish you could change. Cooney instead of another kid was obvious coach meddling.
But on the whole I think he's been pretty spot on. Gumbleton has probably been the only high pick that didn't come off and that's hardly a recruiting issue

Will the change in academy rules change what GCS/GWS want?

I wonder if GCS would do #4 and #6 for #1 and #19?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back