Trading the #1 pick

Remove this Banner Ad

If we equally up points with a blanket top 12 ... Sure you would prefer to do 5 & 7 ... but we would want more in the back end.

5 & 7 in this draft could well outstrip 1 ... So for this type of deal is too heavily faired for you.

This deal I could live with .... your deal I'm happy to take two bites of the cherry for ourselves.

GWS Out ( Essendon In ) - 8, 16, 17

GWS In ( Essendon Out ) - 1, 37, 55

Yeah easy pass then ;) unless you route 16 & 17 for a top 10 pick from someone say one of Gold Coasts? Then a deal like that is more fair for all sides involved

If we equally up points with a blanket top 12 ... Sure you would prefer to do 5 & 7 ... but we would want more in the back end.

5 & 7 in this draft could well outstrip 1 ... So for this type of deal is too heavily faired for you.

This deal I could live with .... your deal I'm happy to take two bites of the cherry for ourselves.

Looks good to me, draft strengh would be a major factor though.

Let's assume you are that keen on McGrath that the farm is on the table

With Steele, marchbank and whe on the way out, there would be a good chance of doing sequential trades for picks that eventually get you 5. We'd take 5 & 7 with a late pick coming back to GWS

If pick 1 is traded it wont happen till very late in the trade period when clubs like GWS and GCS will of completed the trades for their players and hold picks that would be more appealing to Essendon (or Brisbane if PP).
I would like to see Essendon trade their first rd pick for multiple 1st rd picks so that we can also draft a key fwd with one of those picks.

Kidding right? No way would Essendon accept to picks in the teens and late top 10 for the number 1.

Yeah easy pass then ;) unless you route 16 & 17 for a top 10 pick from someone say one of Gold Coasts? Then a deal like that is more fair for all sides involved
i think they are quite set for 2nd rounders to get Scheer and Bowes over the line.
Pick 8 is a consideration cos if they don't think Bowes will be bid on by 4, he will be before 8 and this pick is lost.
But i think they can land a good deal for 8. It will be overs, but they can get a ready made player like Hartlett and possibly Ah Chee too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hahaha - cheers.

No the points total are near perfect for this year. The deal ... I suggested for Essendon this year is perfect - perfect draft this year to do it with a blanket top 12, but again they wont do it .

Footy wise Essendon would be the huge winners ...

..... its all about the money & advertisng dollars gained from pick 1.

Rule 1 - In bottom finishing sides "bean counters" always over-rule footy people (you can bank on that ... :huh: )
Points mean nothing for Essendon.
The only way Essendon would trade pick 1 is if we still got one of McGrath, Brodie, or McLuggage.

That deal looks ok to me if we could trade back up via GCS or saints, So our hand would be...
7, 15, 16, 19, 26(Hibbo).

If we could get Gold coast to agree to, 16, 26 and 2017 2nd for pick 6 or saints to go for 19 and 26 for 10, I would do it.

If suns agree our hand would be...
6, 7, 15, 19

If Saints agree our hand would be...
7, 10, 15, 16

Would be a great result for us.

If we can turn #1 into a top 5 pick, I don't care where the other pick goes as long as its first round. My preference would be #1 for #4 and #14. If the Gibbs rumours are true, its unlikely GWS will get #5 in which case they won't do it for picks. So then it becomes - if they offer something to Freo in addition to McCarthy to get #3 (e.g. Lobb), would we actually do the deal instead for #1? I mean, if I was offered Lobb + #15 for #1 I'd jump at it.

The other possibility is if we get Melbourne's 2017 2nd instead of their 2016 2nd and offer that, #1 and our 2017 2nd to GWS for something. That has the advantage of getting them 2017 picks (quite likely for teams outside the 8) plus the best pick for this year. But again, unless they have a top 5 pick I'm not sure if we want to go that route.

So much depends on whether Brisbane will bid on Bowes, and how badly GWS really want #1 (if at all).

I think GWS will trade pick 7 and Marchbank for pick 5 and pick 23 (or 2017 2nd).
GWS will use pick 5 as the foundation for a crack at pick 1. The other pick(s) will come from 15, 16 or a pick resulting from Steele, McCarthy trades. Lots of options to make this happen.
We'll have to wait for these to unfold so expect a bid for pick 1 to happen late in the trade period (if at all)

I think GWS will trade pick 7 and Marchbank for pick 5 and pick 23 (or 2017 2nd).
GWS will use pick 5 as the foundation for a crack at pick 1. The other pick(s) will come from 15, 16 or a pick resulting from Steele, McCarthy trades. Lots of options to make this happen.
We'll have to wait for these to unfold so expect a bid for pick 1 to happen late in the trade period (if at all)

Pick 5 and 10 for pick 1?..... hrmmmm as long as we get a top 5 i'm actually pretty content with that... could obviously try and move up with the Hibberd pick and pick 10 too... interesting

Pick 5 and 10 for pick 1?..... hrmmmm as long as we get a top 5 i'm actually pretty content with that... could obviously try and move up with the Hibberd pick and pick 10 too... interesting

What do you think Freo would say to 10, 19 and 26 for 3 and 39.

19 and 2017 3rd gets them McCarthy, 26 lands them Hill and they stay inside the top 10.

We have 3, 5, 37, 39.

19 and 2017 3rd gets them McCarthy, 26 lands them Hill and they stay inside the top 10.

We have 3, 5, 37, 39.

Freo is a prime example of needing to rebuild.... so they need picks the more picks you can offer them the better I reckon

We have 3, 5, 37, 39.
Yep possible. Depends how much freo want a player (eg English/SPS). They might feel they can get their preferred at 5 so might swap 3 and 39 for 5 and 26 for instance.

That would give us 3, 10, 19, 37, 39 and out night is done.

Very much in the impossible detail though and unlikely to play out this way!!!

Three Way trade....

GWS
Give: Stewart, Marchbank, Pick 7, Pick 15
Gain: Pick 1, Pick 23, Pick 26

*Stewart and March bank want out, picks 23 and 26 can be used on earlier bids for the 3-4 academy players they have in first round. Have to cull list to normal size then fit in the 4-5 picks they have coming including pick 1 (which they want) and get approx value for two players

Essendon
Give: Pick 1, Pick 26 (from Melb for Hibberd)
Get: Stewart, Pick 5, Pick 7

* Get key forward they are interested in to help Joe, two top 10 picks which is approx value for pick 1.

Carlton
Give: Pick 5, Pick 23
Get: Marchbank, Pick 15

*Get Marchbank, and manage to stay in first round of the Draft which they are keen to do.

Last edited:
Carlton
Give: Pick 5, Pick 23
Get: Marchbank, Pick 15

*Get Marchbank, and manage to stay in first round of the Draft which they are keen to do.

Carlton has said consistently that we're holding on to pick 5.

Realistically the only way we're going to waver from that is if a great deal comes our way - and the above is not a great deal.

There are only two ways I see us giving pick 5 to GWS - either give us a player they won't want to give, or send pick 7 our way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back