Trading the #1 pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton has said consistently that we're holding on to pick 5.

Realistically the only way we're going to waver from that is if a great deal comes our way - and the above is not a great deal.

There are only two ways I see us giving pick 5 to GWS - either give us a player they won't want to give, or send pick 7 our way.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-08/st-kilda-essendon-start-tugofwar-over-jake-carlisle
..."But St Kilda counterpart Ameet Bains said his club would reject those demands, declaring the club's pick No.5 would not be put on the trade table in exchange for Carlisle"...

I understand that's the current "situation", but a lot can change during/in trade period.

Realistically the only way we're going to waver from that is if a great deal comes our way - and the above is not a great deal.

There are only two ways I see us giving pick 5 to GWS - either give us a player they won't want to give, or send pick 7 our way.

5 and 23 for Marchbank, 15 and 16?

Has SOS said you're gonna hold it?

Given his previous form it would be surprising it he's put a line through it already, given the previous trading partnership between the clubs and how many potential moving parts GWS have to make a deal work.

I reckon 5 for Marchbank and 15 is somewhere close to the mark, potentially with the Blues also receiving a fringe Stewart type.

If you want to turn down #15 + Marchbank for #23 and #5, I think we would be happy to trade #1 and #26 for Marchbank, #7 and #15.

The idea that that trade is unders from a Carlton perspective is mind boggling.

If you want to turn down #15 + Marchbank for #23 and #5, I think we would be happy to trade #1 and #26 for Marchbank, #7 and #15.

The idea that that trade is unders from a Carlton perspective is mind boggling.
i think better than 5 is achievable from GWS.
McCarthy for 7 and 3
Then 3, 15, 16 for 1, 2017 2nd & our Hibberd compo (pick 26 this year, or somewhere between 24 and 30 next year)

We go in with 3, 15, 16, 19, 37.
Brodie/McCluggage, Scharenberg, Venables, Battle, Sproule.

We lose 2 picks and a player and add 5 kids to pad the gap from 2013/14 draft losses.

Ideally want to prise Barrett and McKenna out of GWS as well.

Wording was always clear
It wasn't to be used directly
As it wasn't

"It's a difficult start if you've got one club saying that pick five is what they're after and you've got another saying they won't relinquish it, Bains said.

Very clear.

Love how defensive Saints fans get over this despite the fact the trade has worked out well for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"It's a difficult start if you've got one club saying that pick five is what they're after and you've got another saying they won't relinquish it, Bains said.

Very clear.

Love how defensive Saints fans get over this despite the fact the trade has worked out well for them.
Yes a bit of a precious point but only because of the wrong info which comes out.
Such as we missed Parish or we said he wouldn't give up and 5 and we fell in

Parish went at 5 not 6

5 was never going to be given up directly

RE: Pick 5 - That's not what his quotes say. Peoples minds can change, thats fine, it doesn't have to be considered a weakness that he moved from his original position to get the deal done, espicially when its worked out well for you. And you don't know what Dodo's board looks like do you (if so, please share)? He may have placed Francis ahead.

I hope not, the "selected one" almost certainly has a mummy in Vic
Can't see why you'd bother either given the talent you already have.

To muse our Bomber friends/Dodoro, whose available/tradeable worthy given you already have a couple of #1 picks already

Can't see why you'd bother either given the talent you already have.

To muse our Bomber friends/Dodoro, whose available/tradeable worthy given you already have a couple of #1 picks already
I'd want pick 7 and potentially 5 from them (if the Marchbank + 15 for 5 happens). If GC get 6 for Prestia (which they will) I wouldn't be opposed to getting 4 and 6 off their hands.

I'd want pick 7 and potentially 5 from them (if the Marchbank + 15 for 5 happens). If GC get 6 for Prestia (which they will) I wouldn't be opposed to getting 4 and 6 off their hands.
Interesting you would prefer picks over players. Don't mind that strategy

Parish went at 5 not 6

5 was never going to be given up directly
Parish went with what was pick 4. It shifted to 4 due to Mills.
The real question is, had you kept 5, who would we have had gone with 4.

As for Pick 1 - this deal is gonna be tough.
Marchbank & Pickett/Stewart for 5 still feels a little pricey for Carlton. Perhaps if all 3 players are involved.
Pickett's injury is a big risk though for a player whose speed is his weapon.

1 into 5 & 7 is a good haul if Brisbane bid on Bowes.
5 would become 4 and 7 is likely to be 6 as 6 slides behind it in the order.
McGrath, Mcluggage, SPS go top 3. Brodie & Taranto land with the bombers.
Not a bad outcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Back