Trading the #1 pick

Remove this Banner Ad

I think whether or not GWS get #3 is very dependent on how desperate Freo are for talls. Trading #3 for #7 + McCarthy would mean they bring in two quality players for one pick, and at #7 both Marshall & English are right in the gun, whereas at #3 they're a stretch. Although they could do with some more midfield class, their midfield is still way ahead of their talls.

That said, if GWS get #3 I think they're likely to keep it. I could see them then trading for #5, and trying to get #1 from us via a player + #5 combo. Leaving them with #1, #3 and then three more top 15 players. Ouch for the rest of the competition.

I think whether or not GWS get #3 is very dependent on how desperate Freo are for talls. Trading #3 for #7 + McCarthy would mean they bring in two quality players for one pick, and at #7 both Marshall & English are right in the gun, whereas at #3 they're a stretch. Although they could do with some more midfield class, their midfield is still way ahead of their talls.

That said, if GWS get #3 I think they're likely to keep it. I could see them then trading for #5, and trying to get #1 from us via a player + #5 combo. Leaving them with #1, #3 and then three more top 15 players. Ouch for the rest of the competition.

Ouch for Eddie's fat arse

Giants won't get either of those picks, Steele is highly unlikely to want to go to Essendon
I reckon they will

McCarthy & 7 into 3 & 39
Marchbank, 15 & 16 into 5, 23 & 41
McCarthy = 17~
Marchbank = 20~

GWS trade 3 & 5 & players into 1, 26 & 37

1=Mcgrath
23, 26, 31, 37, 39, 41, etc = Setterfield, Perryman, Mutch, Sproule.

EFC walk into draft with 3, 5, 19 for live picks. 5 will become 4 after a Bowes bid.
2017 additions =
McCluggage (if brisbane take SPS, Brodie if not)
Taranto
Battle/Kerr/Berry/SPP @ 19
Steele
Barrett

I reckon they will

McCarthy & 7 into 3 & 39
Marchbank, 15 & 16 into 5, 23 & 41
McCarthy = 17~
Marchbank = 20~

GWS trade 3 & 5 & players into 1, 26 & 37

1=Mcgrath
23, 26, 31, 37, 39, 41, etc = Setterfield, Perryman, Mutch, Sproule.

EFC walk into draft with 3, 5, 19 for live picks. 5 will become 4 after a Bowes bid.
2017 additions =
McCluggage (if brisbane take SPS, Brodie if not)
Taranto
Battle/Kerr/Berry/SPP @ 19
Steele
Barrett
Would be a good result for the Dons, if they could get Taranto and Brodie or something similar that would be brilliant to go alongside Parish and Francis. All 4 could play good senior footy next year.

Although for mine McCarthys worth is more back end of second round opposed to pick 17.

Clubs are hesitant to move on top10 selections.

Would be a good result for the Dons, if they could get Taranto and Brodie or something similar that would be brilliant to go alongside Parish and Francis. All 4 could play good senior footy next year.

Although for mine McCarthys worth is more back end of second round opposed to pick 17.

Clubs are hesitant to move on top10 selections.
To have the next 5-6 years of midfield having Merrett, Heppell, Parish, Francis, Steele, Langford, Laverde and Barrett, plus any 2 of Taranto, Brodie, McCluggage, SPS or Ainsworth is massive. Effectively means the draft sanctions are cancelled out.

McCarthy shouldn't be underrated, esp for Freo. As a second forward, he looked dangerous. Stole the light from Cameron at times in a team of kids still developing.
Had a look at their KP options. Taberner & Crozier.
To slide 4 spots and miss SPS, but still have a look at Marshall or English & land McCarthy makes sense.
Freo's midfield isn't bad. Will add Hill. Bennell is an elite talent. Weller and Blakely broke out this year. Still got Balic coming through. some kid called Fyfe. And Neale was breaking records without their best team out there.

To have the next 5-6 years of midfield having Merrett, Heppell, Parish, Francis, Steele, Langford, Laverde and Barrett, plus any 2 of Taranto, Brodie, McCluggage, SPS or Ainsworth is massive. Effectively means the draft sanctions are cancelled out.

McCarthy shouldn't be underrated, esp for Freo. As a second forward, he looked dangerous. Stole the light from Cameron at times in a team of kids still developing.
Had a look at their KP options. Taberner & Crozier.
To slide 4 spots and miss SPS, but still have a look at Marshall or English & land McCarthy makes sense.
Freo's midfield isn't bad. Will add Hill. Bennell is an elite talent. Weller and Blakely broke out this year. Still got Balic coming through. some kid called Fyfe. And Neale was breaking records without their best team out there.
Yep the picks Essendon have ended up getting will power them back up.
Not saying I'd like to be in that situation but it hasn't worked out poorly list management wise

Yep the picks Essendon have ended up getting will power them back up.
Not saying I'd like to be in that situation but it hasn't worked out poorly list management wise
Hard to say
Call Barrett, but this will be dissected as a sliding doors moment

2012 doesnt happen.
Ryder stays. Hibberd stays. Carlisle is 2 more years into the project to turn him into a FF. Crameri turns into Bont (and i think we still take Merrett in the 2nd) via the Crameri & 1st for Dogs 1st trade. We probably land Z.Smith and J.Garlett.
2014 pick is one of Laverde or Langford, not both.
We dont have Francis or Parish. Maybe a Gresham or Rioli.

Baguley Hooker Gleeson
Goddard Hurley Hibberd
Colyer Watson Bont
Langford Daniher Zaka
Fantasia Carlisle Garlett
Ryder
Merrett Heppell
Smith Gresham Stanton Tippa

or 2017:
Baguley Hartley Hooker
Gleeson Hurley Tippa
Colyer Watson Parish
Laverde
Daniher Langford
Fantasia Francis Steele
Berger
Merrett Heppell
Barrett Brodie Taranto Zaka

Other than missing out on drafting Bont, Merrett and Fantasia in one hit, if we land a trade like this, i think I'm happier with the 2017 team

Hard to say
Call Barrett, but this will be dissected as a sliding doors moment

2012 doesnt happen.
Ryder stays. Hibberd stays. Carlisle is 2 more years into the project to turn him into a FF. Crameri turns into Bont (and i think we still take Merrett in the 2nd) via the Crameri & 1st for Dogs 1st trade. We probably land Z.Smith and J.Garlett.
2014 pick is one of Laverde or Langford, not both.
We dont have Francis or Parish. Maybe a Gresham or Rioli.

Baguley Hooker Gleeson
Goddard Hurley Hibberd
Colyer Watson Bont
Langford Daniher Zaka
Fantasia Carlisle Garlett
Ryder
Merrett Heppell
Smith Gresham Stanton Tippa

or 2017:
Baguley Hartley Hooker
Gleeson Hurley Tippa
Colyer Watson Parish
Laverde
Daniher Langford
Fantasia Francis Steele
Berger
Merrett Heppell
Barrett Brodie Taranto Zaka

Other than missing out on drafting Bont, Merrett and Fantasia in one hit, if we land a trade like this, i think I'm happier with the 2017 team
Fair stuff.
Not sure about the Bont one, it's easier to say that in hindsight.

Fair stuff.
Not sure about the Bont one, it's easier to say that in hindsight.
no one will ever confirm it, but the fall out from 2013 was that the Crameri deal was supposed to be our 1st (something like 11-14) and Crameri for 4 and we wanted Bont.
Merrett was a bit of an unknown and likely still makes it to our 2nd.

Would love Bont, but not sure id give up Parish, Francis, Laverde & whatever is coming our way this offseason for him.
Cos we wouldnt have pick 1, nor do we finish bottom 4 in 2015.

Listening to Dodoro on trade radio sounds like he won't be giving up the pick 1.
Can't pass up the chance to draft Hugh McCluggage, simple as that.
I would agree with you there he said that two top 10 picks wont get it done. Thats going to be a lot for a club to part with to get it and I honestly dont thinm a club will give up that much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would agree with you there he said that two top 10 picks wont get it done. Thats going to be a lot for a club to part with to get it and I honestly dont thinm a club will give up that much.
Reckon he would want 3 and 5. A ridiculous amount really it would be that much of a win.

Be aware, its unlikely that Dodoro would be saying his price now. The idea is you start higher than you'll take, and then work down.

I think some clubs are just trying to stir the pot: most of the public suggestions are simply ludicrous.
However, desperate teams can do stupid things. God knows mine did for many years.
In some cohorts, trading pick #1 or pick #2 would make some sense, especially if, like this year, the to bunch were very hard to separate. But the deciding factor would be, who would this club choose? If the club with the pick did not rate the guy the other wants quite so highly, then they could well decide that a deal could be made. Or, like Schache or Silvagni, for example, it was clear that the player in question would not stay at the club for more than the minimum of time before seeking to get out.
To me it is a process that is fraught with danger. Not many clubs would want to repeat Carlton's mistake with Blaine Boekhorst and company.

Really?

A mile?

A whole mile?

Alleged Eagles offered MacKenzie + 12 for 1 and Essendon said Darling needs to be involved to even consider trading pick 1.

So is that Darling + MacKenzie?

So is that Darling + MacKenzie + 12?

So is that Darling + 12?
They wouldn't do Darling and 5.

They wouldn't do Darling and 5.

Lets look at the past #1 picks shall we.

1. Weitering - looks ok so far.
  2. Paddy McCarthy - Hmmmmm. Jury out.
  3. Tom Boyd - up until his last game jury out.
  4. Lachie Whitfield - still to deliver.
  5. Patton - 2 knee recos, still to deliver.
  6. D Swallow - injuries, still to deliver.
  7. T Scully - decent but not what you'd be happy with from a pick 1.
  8. Jack Watts - finally showing something after 7 years.
  9. Matty Kruzer - unfortunate injuries but solid. Disappointing return from pick 1.
  10. Gibbs - faaaaaaar out, actually finally showed more than a glimpse why he went pick 1 after what 9 years.
  11. M Murphy - not bad just went to a club in turmoil.
  12. Delideo - nice pick, shame about the club.
So of the past 12 pick 1's I'd suggest Darling actually wouldn't be a stranger in that group with what he has shown and he's still only 23.

Then you look at other pick 1's in Des Headland, Josh Fraser, Clive Waterhouse, Travis Johnson and Michael Gardiner.:huh:

Just shows how stupid your post was.:cool:

Lets look at the past #1 picks shall we.

1. Weitering - looks ok so far.
  2. Paddy McCarthy - Hmmmmm. Jury out.
  3. Tom Boyd - up until his last game jury out.
  4. Lachie Whitfield - still to deliver.
  5. Patton - 2 knee recos, still to deliver.
  6. D Swallow - injuries, still to deliver.
  7. T Scully - decent but not what you'd be happy with from a pick 1.
  8. Jack Watts - finally showing something after 7 years.
  9. Matty Kruzer - unfortunate injuries but solid. Disappointing return from pick 1.
  10. Gibbs - faaaaaaar out, actually finally showed more than a glimpse why he went pick 1 after what 9 years.
  11. M Murphy - not bad just went to a club in turmoil.
  12. Delideo - nice pick, shame about the club.
So of the past 12 pick 1's I'd suggest Darling actually wouldn't be a stranger in that group with what he has shown and he's still only 23.

Then you look at other pick 1's in Des Headland, Josh Fraser, Clive Waterhouse, Travis Johnson and Michael Gardiner.:huh:

Just shows how stupid your post was.:cool:
Not gonna even bother if you look at it like that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back