Trading the #1 pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Classy response.

Can see you put a lot of thought into that.
You think Whitfield and Swallow haven't delivered as of yet.
Weitering has looked 'ok'
And overlooked the selections of Luke Hodge and Nick Riewoldt.
Wish we could all take the biggest flaws of arguments out.

Didn't think the conversation was worthwhile after that.

Hooker has never been close to being delisted. Seen as expendable yes but he's always been rated as clearly Afl standard.

That's probably the case by the club - tall defenders are hard to find so any promise keeps them hanging around until they either come good or it's bleedingly obvious they aren't going to. I was specifically talking about the expressed view of him by supporters on this site though.

There was a story on CH 7 tonight about Bombers bidding on Bowes or Setterfield.

Is that a threat to convince GC or GWS to trade multiple picks for pick 1?

There was a story on CH 7 tonight about Bombers bidding on Bowes or Setterfield.

Bowes would be a pretty good get at 1.
Inside/Outside mid who finds the ball, good in traffic, gets his hands free, great awareness of the game around him.
Setterfield is a stretch at 1 but certainly worth a top 10 bid. May be why GWS want to lose 7, and maybe get 15 and 16 into some better options.

So far Essendon, Brisbane & Fremantle now have come out saying we will consider trading our pick 1,2,3... lol, no way in hell will a team have the nut sack to do it !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We'd consider a bid on Bowes, we wouldn't bid on Setterfield.

As with any club, we're going to bid on the best talent at any position whether it's an academy player or not. Exactly as the AFL intended the system to work.

So basically there's yet another draft loophole, allowing Academy clubs to double-dip on the best open-draft talent and their Academy talent in the same draft. Another AFL utensil-up; colour me shocked. :rolleyes:

Not surprised to see Essendon seemingly blackmailing both clubs into accepting a trade for pick 1, by informing them they will bid on Academy players otherwise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So basically there's yet another draft loophole, allowing Academy clubs to double-dip on the best open-draft talent and their Academy talent in the same draft. Another AFL utensil-up; colour me shocked. :rolleyes:

Not surprised to see Essendon seemingly blackmailing both clubs into accepting a trade for pick 1, by informing them they will bid on Academy players otherwise.
You can only use a draft pick once tool, there is no double dipping..

Your total grasp of the process has me in awe

We'd consider a bid on Bowes, we wouldn't bid on Setterfield.

As with any club, we're going to bid on the best talent at any position whether it's an academy player or not. Exactly as the AFL intended the system to work.

Well, that's probably smart. GWS would probably let Setterfield go.

After discount, they will need to find 2600 points for a pick one bid.

That's the same as pick 3 and 43, pick 4 and 33, or pick 5 and 25, or pick 6 and 21. Or 7 and 19.

Or pick 2.

That at least sets the bar for what they'd want to have, or what the first pick is worth to them - plus it gives Brisbane a sense of what they could sell pick 2 for.

Roughly this will happen.

Freo will trade pick #3 to GWS.
Essendon will swap pick #1 for pick #3 & #7 from GWS. Or it might be #3 & #15.
I think the Giants will have to give 7 to Freo. Reckon Freo will get McCarthy and 7 for 3 and a later exchange of picks.
Ideally for us GWS can snare 5 off Carlton and we can then swap 1&20 for 3&5

Roughly this will happen.

Freo will trade pick #3 to GWS.
Essendon will swap pick #1 for pick #3 & #7 from GWS. Or it might be #3 & #15.

If GWS get pick 3, they're fine. Even if Essendon DO take Setterfield (say), they only need pick 43 (and pick 3) to match. No point giving up 7 or 15 to also move up two spots.

If GWS get pick 3, they're fine. Even if Essendon DO take Setterfield (say), they only need pick 43 (and pick 3) to match. No point giving up 7 or 15 to also move up two spots.
Yeah doesn't make a lot of sense unless they want a free 'high end of the draft' hit before using picks on academy players. You get the feeling they want to consolidate picks into high end talent and only pick 3 odd high end players apposed to 5 odd player spread across the draft.

By GWS taking Pick #1 it means they can get one of McCluggage or Mcgrath with no one having a chance to force a bid before that pick is used. They would then need pony up their next available picks for Setterfield and Bowes.

Cake and eat it too scenario for GWS.

Bowes would be a pretty good get at 1.
Inside/Outside mid who finds the ball, good in traffic, gets his hands free, great awareness of the game around him.
Setterfield is a stretch at 1 but certainly worth a top 10 bid. May be why GWS want to lose 7, and maybe get 15 and 16 into some better options.
I've seen views by observers who rate Setterfield #1 in the draft and possibly Bont like. I don't think Essendon will bid on him because it would stuff our future trading relationship with GWS, but he's certainly in the discussion for #1 in a pure draft.

Not really. It depends on why they're chasing the high pick. If its like I laid out earlier and to make sure that they don't just get another top midfielder (recognising that Setterfield, Perryman and Mulch are all mids) then getting #1 to land McGrath is pretty important. He and Ainsworth are the only two of the top 6 non-academy players that isn't a midfielder, and Ainsworth has question marks on attitude.

And of course, there is a risk Setterfield may be bid on. Getting #1 may be valuable to GWS for those reasons.

Yeah doesn't make a lot of sense unless they want a free 'high end of the draft' hit before using picks on academy players. You get the feeling they want to consolidate picks into high end talent and only pick 3 odd high end players apposed to 5 odd player spread across the draft.
I think they'll take ONE pick, and then take all academy players. Setterfield, Perrymen and Mulch give them two top 10 and a top 20 midfield talent. Sproule and MacReadie give them two talls. There are also others rated 30 - 60 odd they'll probably pass on. That gives them 5 players + the list reduction. They probably don't have room for more than a single additional pick.

Darling + 12 + (one of MacKenzie / Masten) for pick 1?

or

Darling + 12 + Yeo for pick 1 + 39?
Yeo....please, no.
I dont see the value in Darling for us when Battle is achievable by trading into a mid-teens pick (at far less cost than Pick 1).
Battle actually looks better below his feet as well, which is a consideration given our forward entries of late.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back