Training 4.12.08

Remove this Banner Ad

-CG-

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I am expecting my report to not be the only from today's session, considering that there were a number of bigfootyers around the reserve this morning ;)

- Gill, Stevens, Griffin, Edwards and Armstrong were the early arrivals of the group and warmed up with a couple of laps around the oval. Burton joined them shortly afterwards and par took in nothing else.

- The restricted group involved Gill (who showed he can cleverly juggle three footballs at a time), Cook, Moss and Kite. While the main group completed their warm up, these guys were doing handball drills.

- As part of the warm up there was a wrestling drill where one player is encouraged to bring the other to the ground. During this, Knights lifted Armstrong onto the ground but in doing so appeared to hurt his already strapped wrist. The trainer had a look at it and tested it out with some handball and kicking work but he sat out the next few drills, before joining in later.

- The first main drill focused on one side of the ground and basically just involved the players moving the ball from one end to the other in varying ways. After a while the players then switched to focusing on moving the ball down the other wing. Only one forward 50 and the centre of the ground were used.

- The other 50m arch was occupied by our new draftees who were refining their kicking technique. A trainer was pretty much going through step by step how they should kick the ball.

- The next main drill involved the main group splitting into two, with one half practicing their agility by weaving through poles down the centre of the 50 and then moving off to the side to have a shot on goal. The other half were working in the other 50 and moving the ball along the edge by handballing and kicking before a player running forward would have a shot on goal. After a period of time had elapsed both groups switched drills.

- Two separate groups remained in place for the next round of activities. One group was doing a kind of circuit like work around the oval which involved varied actions such as jogging, short sprints, dropping to the floor, push ups and wrestling. While there have been some question marks over his head of late, Sellar seemed to have no issues with keeping up. The other group were going through ball movement in the centre involving a mix of defensive zoning like players. The groups then switched.

- At this time all the new recruits were on the bikes. Cook, Moss and Kite were running laps, Mackay, Maric and Gill were working together completing various small activities and Dangerfield may have hopped on a bike for a bit and I saw him later icing his right hamstring. I also spotted Porplyzia out on a bike.

- One of the final drills for the morning had a strong focus on tackling and was very entertaining to watch as it was completed right near all the supporters! Basically, a triangle is set up with two players on a point who then run around a cone before enter the triangle to tackle/evade the other player. At one point a handball receiver was introduced into the drill, so there were three players at a time. Mark Bickley was conducting one group who he game some strong pointers to afterwards!

- The last two drills involved the whole main group and covered the entire oval. The first drill was more structured while the second was freer flowing and game like.

- As things were beginning to wrap up and some players were starting the long walk back to the visitor's rooms, Sellar, Tippett, Hentschel and Jacky were goal kicking. Hentschel seems to have corrected his unusual run up to some degree. Mackay also had a couple of shots and goal and Sell and Gill were having a couple of stab like kicks at each other, so the person receiving the ball was marking the ball in their hands as if they were on a lead.

Wow! nice report.

Were any of the NSW Scholarship holders out there?

I've seen Aaron Duncan play and is god dam impressive and hear that guy from down south would break the club 3km time trial.

Wow! nice report.

I've seen Aaron Duncan play and is god dam impressive and hear that guy from down south would break the club 3km time trial.

"that guy from down south" is Sam Martyn and he wouldn't break it, he'd smash it easily (by over a minute).

Wow! nice report.

Nah none of them were there. Come to think of it, Brad Moran wasn't there either...

Nice job Anne. ;)

How do you write training reports? I won’t even bother attempting to describe what drills they dill, I've left that to our resident journo.

Absent were Johncock, Moran and McLeod. Cook, Kite (sporting a new haircut), Gill and Moss were mainly just running laps or working away from the main group. Burton ran a few laps too.

A few thoughts on the individual players…

If I were Craig I’d let Sellar know he’s not required to attend training anymore. Maybe a bit extreme and not entirely serious but I still don’t see how he’s going to be an AFL footballer, in fact who knows whether he’ll even step up to SANFL league level this season. He’s huge, he’s got the Pieterson look down to a tee but he is shocking below his knees and fumbled a lot today. He still runs like an unco but he is actually pretty quick and his kicking is normally pretty good. I’m interested to know where the Crows would like him to line-up this season.

The new draftees worked with each for virtually the entire season but they joined in with a group a few times mainly practicing goal kicking and doing that agility test. McKernan is probably the one most bulked up and he’s a pretty huge kid. You can tell that Sloan is going to be popular around the place as he’s just such a personality. He’s bubbling with life and I hope he’s not force to tone it down.

I was impressed with Brodie Martin, and that’s saying something considering I haven’t exactly been his biggest fan. He’s very quick and has his foot skills were better than I remembered. He’s still a rookie but perhaps he does have a future at this level.

Dangerfield’s kicking is a big concern for mine. He’ll kick accurately and then the very next kick will be an absolute shocker. He had some floaters, some grubbers and then he had some pin-point passes. I’m not sure what happened to him though as probably 75 minutes into the session he went over the bikes area and had an ice pack on his knee, or his calf, didn’t quite see. We all know he has pace; he’s got great reach and is great above his head, but in this day and age where kicking is so important it’ll need to improve.

Jacky seemed to be working on his ball drop, a positive sign considering his kicking was one of the main areas I felt need improvement. He’s still got strapping on his left knee. Tippett’s ball drop is still pretty horrendous, hopefully that will be a focus over the pre-season. But you can’t help but be impressed with his athleticism and he seems to have a real presence out there.

Tony Armstrong seemed to be struggling a bit towards the end of the session as he was blowing pretty heavily. Petrenko was impressive, probably just because he’s one of my favourites though. He is without strapping on either shoulder for the first time in a while, a terrific sign.

Hentschel moved well and looked pretty agile and strong below his knees to me. He was never the quickest guy and I’d suggest he looks to be back to where he was pre-injury, or close enough anyway. I think he’s ready to play AFL again, at least so we can get an idea of whether his body will stand up to the rigours of the sport.

Taylor Walker is a star and he's huge! Really bulked up and certainly physically ready to play AFL. He's a bit of a joker and is one of the real personalities of the squad.

I liked the drills where the two players went head to head as one tried to get past and the other tried to tackle. Highlight was Jacky going up against Tippett, safe to say Jacky came off second best. Radar had a nice spin move too, which I have on video, but it goes for like 0.02 seconds and it’s probably not even worth uploading.

What else...? Good to see Bicks back at the club, well I didn’t see him but I see him in one of my photos. Why was it so cold, I thought it was Decemeber? And nice to meet Truck Rutten, cmndstab and Southerntakeover. :thumbsu: Maybe next time, CG. :p I’ve got quite a few pics but I’m struggling to get them to the size I want, really frustrating.

Nice report there Drum :thumbsu:

Here are some pictures I took:
Armstrong.jpg

Tony Armstrong

BrianDonley.jpg

Guy from Melbourne

ChrisKnights2.jpg

Chris Knights

DangerandBernie.jpg

Dangerfield and Vince, Sellar in the next pair and Burton in the background helping out with a drill.

DangerfieldandJacky.jpg

Dangerfield and Jacky

GriffinandDanger.jpg

Griffin and Dangerfield

group.jpg

Martin, Armstrong, Edwards, Reilly, Douglas and Knights

MaricGillMackay.jpg

Maric, Gill, Mackay

JonathonGriffin.jpg

Griffin

Recruits2.jpg

Lee, Davis, Young, Sloane, McKernan

Recruits3.jpg

Lee, Davis, McKernan, Young

Rutten.jpg

Rutten

ShaunMcKernan.jpg

McKernan

Because I'm fed up with trying to get the pictures the right size without making them look all squished, here you go…

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/569070175gBNDdr

Let me know if it works. You can expand the picture by clicking full size, pretty obvious I know. :p And if anyone knows how to get the full size of the pictures directly onto here, then be my guest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Truck....and his victim

McKernan looking pleased with your photography

Tippett and Vince continuing on where Dangerfield and Jacky left off.

CG, word on the street is one of the lads approached your mob early in the session, and all knowledge of bigfooty was denied. :eek:

Well I didn't say anything back my friends were the ones to jump in and say no.... I know I should've said something though! I'm too shy haha.

I'm sure there will be another time ;)

CG and Drummond, you guys are awesome. Love the write ups and the pics.

As good as your write up is Drum, can you just settle down on the Sellar bashing. I'd rather we all wait til mid way through next season before we go nuts (with love or hate) with him. Other then that love the work.

Just a note there, Davis look to be taller then Mckernan? Is that the case and Will Young looks like a solid unit already and seems like the could be a perfect 3rd tall for us.

Did you guys see much of the new draftees, if yes how are they getting along, in terms of any joking around or its pretty serious stuff? Cheers.

ST & Drumm hanging out and getting along? I would have gone just to see that!

Well I didn't say anything back my friends were the ones to jump in and say no.... I know I should've said something though! I'm too shy haha.

I'm sure there will be another time ;)

Too bad for you i turned up and blew your cover. To be fair, the odds on me getting up were pretty slim, so you nearly got away with it.

Still, if me and Drummond can talk peacefully for a few hours, and it didnt end in some form of professional wrestling like challenge, you can pop your head in at some point. ;):p

Dammit CG, I even stopped and said something like "Heh, I'm here to meet some of them but I have no idea what they look like!" just incase somebody would pipe up from the corner ;)

It was great fun meeting Truck Rutten and Drummond, and catching up with Southerntakeover again. Of course, this distracted from my watching of training but, really, I don't get how you do it CG because I'll be damned if I can make anything out except for when they come up real close. Pretty much any information I got was just from talking to the support staff. I'll post a few of my random thoughts/pieces of gossip from the session.

Firstly, great photos Drummond! Especially as I took half of them ;) Some real beauties in there, no doubt they were yours.

Has anyone heard why Kite would be training away from the main group? I managed to catch up with a guy on the support staff that I know and he said it was some kind of upper body injury, but no idea other than that. I certainly hadn't heard anything.

Bernie Vince has shaved his hair all the way back, looks like Thompson from the start of the year. To my eyes he's bulked up a bit too.

Apparently at Norwood Oval in a recent session Tippett belted into a goalpost in midair (presumably practising a marking attempt?) and bruised the hell out of himself. No idea if it's affecting him or not but he seemed pretty solid out there. Watching Jacky try to tackle him was hilarious but I promised to leave the details of that to Southerntakeover. I'll just say that I felt bad about bursting out with laughter with Jacky only metres away from me :eek: Sorry Jahhran!!

Phil Davis is one skinny kid. As you can see in one of the photos (I forget if it's one of Drum's or CG's photos...) he doesn't even have much definition in his stomach, he's just a straight up and down skinny lad. He looked like he was tiring a bit on the bikes but maybe that's just because he had his head down while the other youngsters were looking up.

Without going over too much of Drummond's report (no point hearing it twice) Armstrong really did seem to be struggling. He was in a group jogging along (he was at the back of the group of, say, ten?) and his head was down, he looked as sick as a dog. They then had to drop down and do five push-ups. They finished, he started to stand back up and the trainer yelled for another five push-ups... I think he almost died. He did lay some lovely tackles earlier on though.

Dangerfield's kicking was pretty much as Drummond described it... almost clinically so. He literally seemed to get every second kick perfect and every other kick horribly wrong. The very first kick he did was only metres away from us... he was supposed to kick to a contest but it skid along the ground instead :eek: He was really impressive when collecting the ball at pace though, even at his manic speed he can scoop the ball into the air and without breaking stride judge it back into his arms. He seems much better at the pinpoint chest pass than a lofty kick, that's for sure.

Sellar didn't seem as bad as Drummond seemed to think in my opinion but then again, every time I looked away he would cringe so maybe I just missed it each time. One thing that does strike me though, he never seems to be going full intensity at training. Even with the tackling drills, the second the drill is over he just stops and walks back to the group, there's no intensity at all.

According to my hot goss, the group of draftees last year really didn't handle the pre-Christmas training well at all and many of them got overtrained and are still suffering the effects of it, which was a key factor in the decision to ease the youngsters into the preseason this year. Dangerfield in particular was worked too hard last year and apparently has been suffering from it the whole year. Considering his TAC Cup form, if it's him while suffering a sore body, it'd be nice to see what he could do when fit! He spent most of the session today on the bike after the first 45 minutes or so.

At one stage Craig gathered all the players around to make noise and heckle while each of the new draftees had one shot on goal. All of them slotted it except for either Young or Lee (I don't know which). Apparently Sloane was quite cocky about it to Craigy, hahaha. He's got spunk, that's for sure.

Gill spent almost the entire session away from the main group, I don't know if that calf injury is still there but he certainly seemed to spend a lot of time just cutting laps. Johncock meanwhile still wasn't present, I gather he's come back overweight and is working away from the group. He attends the indoor special skills sessions but not the main training. A bit of a worry.

Comically at the end of the session, Walsh decided to lead the draftees, who had just done over an hour on the bikes, on a bit of a bike ride to the area outside the Crows shed. I don't know if it was just weak knees or what, but Rory Sloane simply could not ride the bike to start with. He was terrible! He was trying to get it to move along the oval and just going all over the place, similar to if you tried to start moving on a bike in way too high a gear. By the time he got back from the Crows shed he had finally got the hang of it but it was pretty embarassing, hahaha.

Anyway, time for me to be off. I would have written this later (and probably written more) but I'm gone for the weekend so I had to squeeze it in now. Had a great time, I encourage others to come down and check out a session in the future :)

Oh, and Happy Birthday Crow Girl! I had an expensive gift for you but I couldn't find you at the ground so I'll have to use it myself instead ;)

Top report Cmnd, must have been 'coincidence' that every time you weren't looking Sellar had a momumental stuff up aye Drum? lol

I can see Drum waiting for you to turn your head so he can yell out an ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeee Sellar you're crap!

hahaha

Top stuff, may I have CG's expensive gift?

Top report Cmnd, must have been 'coincidence' that every time you weren't looking Sellar had a momumental stuff up aye Drum? lol

I can see Drum waiting for you to turn your head so he can yell out an ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeee Sellar you're crap!

hahaha

Top stuff, may I have CG's expensive gift?

Of course, he WAS the one with a camera with a zoom function so I guess he's got the runs on the board ;)

Sorry, I already used it myself. Ate it. Wore it. Whatever you do with.. whatever it was.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back