Training 8.12.08

Remove this Banner Ad

-CG-

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
It was quite the pleasant morning today out at Max Basheer Reserve. The two hour training session began at its scheduled time of 9.30 am as the players arrived, footballs in hand, ready for the their warm up.

While there was still no sign of Graham Johncock, a familiar face made reappearance early on in the morning. Andrew McLeod, with his right knee still in a brace, was having a word with some trainers before presumably hoping on a bike for an hour or so.

- An agility drill, kick to kick and some goal kicking on the run from 25 metres out followed the normal stretching warm up. It should be worth noting that Porplzyia was involved in these warm up drills.

- The restricted group for today consisted of Cook, Moran, Burton, Dangerfield and Porplyzia. All five spent considerable time running laps amongst other things, with Young joining in with Dangerfield and Porplyzia mainly just sticking to running.

- The pace began to kick up a notch for the first main task of the day. The main group split up into smaller groups of six or seven, where one was handed an orange shirt to be the defender. The ball would be brought into play by a trainer and then passed around with a number of handballs to evade the defender before it was cleared of the area. So in other words, it was like affecting a clearance at a ball up situation.

Griffin was in the group closest to me and I think it’s fair to say he struggles a bit when it comes to trying to stop someone in a close situation. He's too big; he's got his arms and legs all over the place. But it’s fair to say he looked a lot more comfortable when he wasn't wearing an orange top!

- While the next drill involved the main group working the ball down one side of the oval with a handful or orange defenders in the way, the new recruits had some quick kicking practice with Peter Jonas. Today it was only Davis, McKernan, Sloane and Lee as Young was off with Dangerfield. They were working over about 20 metres and Davis and McKernan probably did the best. Lee was a bit off target a couple of times. At one point Jonas even commented on McKernan's good kicking and I must say myself, on Thursday I thought he was skinner but he must've beefed up over the weekend :p He's got quite big shoulders and thighs!

Back with the main group and I was impressed to see Hentschel take a strong diving mark in the rather dry conditions. As a whole group they were moving the ball swiftly and smoothly through the centre. They then spread out to use the whole ground and I heard Gallman giving directions, Kite was rebounding well out of the fifty and Martin was also moving well. Maric and Cook spent some time together working out of one of the vacant goal sqaures just practicing making leads and the like with each other.

Our mystery Melbourne man was there again today I believe, unless that was Mr Irish.... He is quite tall, about 10 or so cm taller than Thompson. Speed doesn't seem to be his greatest attribute but he was able to hang around the top of the pack when they went for a jog as a break from the drill. It resumed again afterwards but only for a few more times.

- The closing drill of the session was as close to a game as I've seen this pre season. Orange was pegged against the blue tops, with the attacking orange bringing the ball in from behind the goals. The ball didn't make it all the way down to the orange goal that often, but when it did blue took possession and began their attack.

There didn't appear to be many structured match ups although I reckon McKernan was the full forward for orange with Bock placed on him. Lee was also an orange forward and I think Young may have been one too.

- Some highlights were Sellar's great run down of Martin from behind. He just latched his fingertips onto the back of Martin's top and was able to pull him down to the ground. Sellar was on the end of a lot of praise from his team mates.

McKernan finally got his hands on the ball by marking close to the boundary line on the forward flank. His long kick was indecisive though and found the orange players severely outnumbered by opponents. Bock was in his ear afterwards though, giving him a few pointers. He made up for it afterwards though, by taking a strong mark on the lead in front of Bock and being crashed into by an oncoming player. He quickly got to his feet and found Symes who had snuck down into the pocket.

Again, Kite was somewhat of a stand out in defence for blue. His attacking movement out of defence is almost Mattneresque besides the monumental stuff up at the end.

Otten showed poise and skill through the middle of the ground and was also heard to be passing on directions down the ground.

- Finally, players broke off to work individually or in groups. Armstrong, Shirley and Otten were working together on getting a handball away when being closely covered by an opponent and Jacky was having a chat with Neil Craig for a few minutes in the centre of the ground.

Walker, Sellar, Griffin, Tippett (still with some work to do), Hentschel (who was doing very well), van Berlo, Gill, Vince, Stevens and Jacky were having shots at goal. Funnily enough though Tippett seemed to kick just about everyone from when he gathered the ball off the ground and had a snap at goal, but he was missing the set shots at tight angles.

McKernan, Sloane, Davis and Lee ran a number of laps to finish off the session. Mackay was leading the way for a couple of laps before he retired to the rooms for the morning. Sloane was coping the best, then Davis was a few metres behind him, Lee was a greater distance behind Davis and McKernan was lagging at the back. A couple of times a trainer came over and had a word in his ear to ensure he would keep going. So while he may be in good shape, he could find himself in the SANFL for a while building up his endurance levels.

Brad Moran was back in action today, mainly running laps and working in the small group of players away from the main group. Burton ran a few laps once again, as did Porplyzia and Cook, and McLeod rode the bike for a while. Dangerfield was running laps with Will Young. Still no sign of Johncock.

Not so impressed with Brodie Martin today, sorry…Dandy_GO. ;) I guess this is based around one mistake more than anything, but still. They had just started a new drill, they were in groups of 5 or 6, the ball was kicked to Martin and under no pressure he fumbled the ball and subsequently dropped it, and had to gather the ball off the deck as his teammates waited. He worked hard to keep up with the pack afterwards and put in some hard yards but not the ideal start!

McKernan looks to be easily the most unfit of all the new draftees as when they were running laps he was always falling behind the small group. He finished a good 10 seconds after Lee who finished second to last. I would say Davis has the best fitness of the tall forwards, although Young wasn’t with them at the end so it’s hard to judge. As I noted above, was off running laps with Dangefield for a fair while.

Really impressed with my new man in Mossy. IMO he’s a sure thing to be elevated to the senior list at some stage, whether that be throughout the season or at seasons end. He took a superb mark under heavy pressure in the ‘game situation’, and he is certainly quick enough. He’s a big boy, great height, and with that marking ability I think he’s got the tools to be an excellent player.

Sir Kite started out in the small group of players working away from the main group but he was back training with the main pack after a while. He’s still got some serious strapping on his right shoulder which I assume is the reason he has been working away from the main group. He looked good out there but of course that’s nothing new.

Now what I thought was Will Young (massive apology to him), turns out to be someone else as I look at my pictures. On the back of what we saw today we’ve found our new Jericho and yet I don’t even know who it is… Who is it? Donnelly; I didn’t think he was there? (2nd page, 2nd pic)

He was involved in the game drill, and McKernan had just taken a mark and kicked it into the forward line. It wasn’t a great kick, a bit of an up and under but ? was the lone player from McKernan’s team that was in the area. He had about 2-3 opponents relatively close by. He half went up, and then when the ball was near him he completely ducked his head. I mean completely. The supporters made a few comments, the training staff nearby all were a bit shocked and Stephen Schwerdt dropped his head immediately. It was bad. You could see he was really embarrassed and as the dill finished up after that and a few teammates came up to him to give him encouragement. Walker went over to him and had a few words.

There were a few of the youngsters that impressed me. I thought Tony Armstrong trained very strongly and was heavily involved in the game drill. He took a few of the kick-outs and pushed hard up the ground and was always involved in the play. His beautiful foot skills really stood out. Jarrhan Jacky looked lively and very sharp, he had a few nice moves to get around opponents. He might even make an impression next season which I didn’t expect. He seems like an upbeat youngster which is always a good thing to have around the place.

As for the new guys…

McKernan looked good in the drill. He took 2 marks, one a pretty strong grab with his arms extended. His kicking might need a bit of work and I believe his fitness will hold him back from playing AFL in 2009. Sloane was involved a bit too and even laid a few nice blocks for teammates to get free. On one occasion he had possession and Knighta was streaming past and yelled for the ball but instead Sloane kicked it downfield. His team turned it over not long after and the two slapped hands after. I think when the draftees were having a kick to kick (with the exception of Young) you could tell he really wanted to be out with the main group. I like the look of Phil Davis, he seems reasonably fit and his kicking technique is flawless. He’ll obviously need to add a fair bit of weight but I’m starting to get excited about this guy. Lee impressed again, just looks like a neat and clean footballer, has a nice kicking technique and is a pretty decent height.

A few other random notes…

- Tippett seemed to be working on his snaps at the end of the session.
- Walker was pretty hilarious, in the game drill his team had moved the ball into the forward line where he marked. He didn’t have many options so he bombed it on the boot and it was a shocker, went about 30 metres, sideways, straight to a nest of opponents and he just took off his hat and looked a bit bemused.
- They practiced torps at the start and whoever was Knight’s partner sure could launch them as he was forced to run and collect his ball a few times.
- Gill looked really good and has a bit of a presence about him. Took some nice marks up forward and his defensive pressure was top notch.
- Myke Cook looks to have really beefed up and he looks physically ready to play AFL. He was running laps for most of the session and kept up pretty well with Mackay at the end.
- Sellar was much more impressive, especially with his defensive efforts. Tackled, chased, harassed, he looked good. Still yet to see him actually out on a lead against Rutten/Bock yet.

Pics:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/569122731BnMljb

And hopefully a few videos on the way also. A bit longer this time (up from 3 seconds!) and hopefully interesting enough, but they could take all day to upload. Need to get it into one video instead of 3 separate ones.

Jonas even commented on McKernan's good kicking and I must say myself, on Thursday I thought he was skinner but he must've beefed up over the weekend :p He's got quite big shoulders and thighs!
Love his kick, his action looks a little like a 'special' kid but so did his bro's and it works.

Back with the main group and I was impressed to see Hentschel take a strong diving mark in the rather dry conditions. As a whole group they were moving the ball swiftly and smoothly through the centre. They then spread out to use the whole ground and I heard Gallman giving directions, Kite was rebounding well out of the fifty and Martin was also moving well.
Good to see potential have no worries hitting the dirt as well as Gallman feeling comfortable enough to yell

- Some highlights were Sellar's great run down of Martin from behind. He just latched his fingertips onto the back of Martin's top and was able to pull him down to the ground. Sellar was on the end of a lot of praise from his team mates.
I love that he's trying, he always looks like he enjoys a chase down, let's hope he's about ready aye.

Again, Kite was somewhat of a stand out in defence for blue. His attacking movement out of defence is almost Mattneresque besides the monumental stuff up at the end.
Wasn't that part of the fun though, seeing how he would stuff up?

Good to see a few of the youngsters getting vocal at training, sounds like the vet's are getting a few teaching jobs too, very nice.

Thanks a heap CG

I could not agree more with Drummond and CG comments, I went to training for the first time ever, and it was pretty interesting.

I agree McKernan looks ready but seemed to struggle with the repetitive 800m laps.

Davis looked strong he did have the back of his leg ... (groin) looked at early but seemed fine running laps.

Johncock again a no show. james an adelaide trainer said he had a run with stiffy this morning about 7:30. still seems odd he is not doing laps with the other not in the main group.

Oh and Bunji did look strong on the bike, for about an hour.

Overall very good experience and i would recommend crows fans go down and have a look at training :)

Oh and Sellars tackle was very good to see

Cheers CG & Drumm. Appreciated as always.

The closing drill of the session was as close to a game as I've seen this pre season. Orange was pegged against the blue tops, with the attacking orange bringing the ball in from behind the goals. The ball didn't make it all the way down to the orange goal that often, but when it did blue took possession and began their attack.

I'm 95% sure I saw them do this same drill when I was down the other week.

Hey, that's awesome you guys :) I'm still wondering if you actually talked to anyone this time though CG ;)

But sounds like it was a very entertaining session. The two times I've gone it's been more about drills and less about game-day drills. That's where you really get a feel for how the players are during the pressure gametime.

I might have more to reply to individual points later, have to take off now. But you guys are making me feel like coming to training again :p Is it at Max Basheer again on Thursday?

Thanks for the report CG and Drummond.
I saw the crow boys heading for a swim on Sat morning and could have sworn I saw Sloan with ice on his calf. Either I need my eyes checked or it was someone else.
On other news, I spotted a group of Crows boys at the 36ers on Sat night (no I'm not stalking them!)
I didn't recognise some of them (might have been Young etc...), but clearly saw Tippett, Douglas and McKernan sitting courtside. It was great to see a few experienced boys take the newbies out. For what it's worth McKernan def is a shy bugger! He looked shell-shocked for most of the night and barely said a word. Hell when the Cheerleaders walked right past him he was looking at the ground!

And Drummond, get excited by Davis. He is the real deal and will be the comp's next do it all player (ala Cornes, Pavlich etc..) just give him a couple of years!!

Thanks for the report CG and Drummond.
I saw the crow boys heading for a swim on Sat morning and could have sworn I saw Sloan with ice on his calf. Either I need my eyes checked or it was someone else.
On other news, I spotted a group of Crows boys at the 36ers on Sat night (no I'm not stalking them!)
I didn't recognise some of them (might have been Young etc...), but clearly saw Tippett, Douglas and McKernan sitting courtside. It was great to see a few experienced boys take the newbies out. For what it's worth McKernan def is a shy bugger! He looked shell-shocked for most of the night and barely said a word. Hell when the Cheerleaders walked right past him he was looking at the ground!

And Drummond, get excited by Davis. He is the real deal and will be the comp's next do it all player (ala Cornes, Pavlich etc..) just give him a couple of years!!
Gun! ;)

He does come across as very shy. When they started the game drill he was sort of hanging out the back by himself waiting for it to come down his end. I like him. :thumbsu:

Really impressed with my new man in Mossy. IMO he’s a sure thing to be elevated to the senior list at some stage, whether that be throughout the season or at seasons end. He took a superb mark under heavy pressure in the ‘game situation’, and he is certainly quick enough. He’s a big boy, great height, and with that marking ability I think he’s got the tools to be an excellent player.
Very Happy with this, he looked likely last year, seems to have a good pair of mits for his possy

Sir Kite started out in the small group of players working away from the main group but he was back training with the main pack after a while. He’s still got some serious strapping on his right shoulder which I assume is the reason he has been working away from the main group. He looked good out there but of course that’s nothing new.
Reports on Kitey seems to just keep glowing

Now what I thought was Will Young (massive apology to him), turns out to be someone else as I look at my pictures. On the back of what we saw today we’ve found our new Jericho and yet I don’t even know who it is… Who is it? Donnelly; I didn’t think he was there? (2nd page, 2nd pic)
Can't pic him, either mystery melbourne man or Donelly(he's pale enough to be Irish) for me

He was involved in the game drill, and McKernan had just taken a mark and kicked it into the forward line. It wasn’t a great kick, a bit of an up and under but ? was the lone player from McKernan’s team that was in the area. He had about 2-3 opponents relatively close by. He half went up, and then when the ball was near him he completely ducked his head. I mean completely. The supporters made a few comments, the training staff nearby all were a bit shocked and Stephen Schwerdt dropped his head immediately. It was bad. You could see he was really embarrassed and as the dill finished up after that and a few teammates came up to him to give him encouragement. Walker went over to him and had a few words.
Hate that more than anything, i'm 100% on this with you Drum, we don't need another Mad Dog

- Sellar was much more impressive, especially with his defensive efforts. Tackled, chased, harassed, he looked good. Still yet to see him actually out on a lead against Rutten/Bock yet.
He MUST have trained well then.

Pics:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/569122731BnMljb

And hopefully a few videos on the way also. A bit longer this time (up from 3 seconds!) and hopefully interesting enough, but they could take all day to upload. Need to get it into one video instead of 3 separate ones.

Thanks Drum, ledgend!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who's this pasty mofo?

2448309390101217222S600x600Q85.jpg

Yeah that's the same guy that did a Jericho. And see how squished the pics are when you post them? No idea why. That's why I just provide the links so people can view them normal. :p

Yeah that's the same guy that did a Jericho. And see how squished the pics are when you post them? No idea why. That's why I just provide the links so people can view them normal. :p
Bigfooty has installed a mod which cuts em down to that size.

If your using firefox, you can right click and 'view image' and it'll be normal size.

Bigfooty has installed a mod which cuts em down to that size.

If your using firefox, you can right click and 'view image' and it'll be normal size.
Well that's no good. And I don't use firefox, IE all the way. I tried to use that windows media maker thing but my videos are in QuickTime so it doesn't work. I'm installing this movie program I have, taking an eternity, but I reckon I'll manage to make decent vids now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back