Training 8/12

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 17, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Bruins
Had the day off work so thought I'd meander down and watch the boys train this morning.

I'm sure mop and bs will be putting up a full training report, but just thought I'd mention a few things.

Adrian Barich was there and I overheard him talking to someone about mop and beatlesmith saying;
"They're actually pretty good, they do a full comprehensive write up on training.."
Well done boys, you've got Barra's approval!

At one point Shannon Hurn (training with the midfield:thumbsu::thumbsu:) ducked his head and broke through about 4 blokes who tried to tackle him in a training drill like they weren't even there. Even had Coxy cheering! About 2 minutes later in the same drill he wrapped up Priddis and drove him into the turf pretty hard. Looked very fit and aggressive. :D

Looked like all the draftees were there, can't be certain because I don't know what they all look like yet. Not training, just handballing to each other etc... Naita was standing next to Coxy for a few minutes and didn't look too much smaller in his frame, would be able to handle AFL football bodywise for sure, just gotta wait and see what the coaching staff want from him this season.

Seaby is not looking good, owned by Cox in every ruck contest and at one point kicked the ball into the man on the mark, Chad Fletcher, who is like 5 foot tall.

Coxy looked awesome as usual and reinforced my belief that he should be Captain, keeps the talk up through the whole training session, every few minutes I'd hear Cox's voice encouraging the boys.

Didn't see Kerr train, just standing near the Eagles van and having a chat to a trainer..

I hope Notte puts on some weight, his hands and skills are great to watch.

Mitch Brown is a monster and it is not beyond the realm of possibility that he eats small Volkswagons for breakfast.

Anyway I'll leave it at that as I'm sure beatlesmith and mop will have a comprehensive Barra approved training report coming up sometime today. :thumbsu:

Good write up, cheers fryzie:thumbsu:

Also, how coincidental is the timing of you and Mop's threads? Are you two in an internet cafe writing together or something?:D

Has anyone noticed if Mitch Brown's agility has suffered due to his size?

And were any draftees there? How did they go?

Mop's Training Report: December 8th
Claremont Oval

So, after our ritual of meeting at Dome and getting our sacred coffee, we made the journey over to Claremont over.
Through the rooms we walked and up into the stands just in time to see almost the whole group do their run around the oval. Waters, Lecras and a few others were doing a handballing drill near the race. Naitanui and Swift ran with the main group, Kerr ran on his own.

Schuey, Smith and Jordan Jones were all participating in the handballing drill.

After their run and warm-up, the boys did a kicking drill, though it seemed that the main priority of the exercise was to make as much noise as possible.

A few minutes later that was all over and done with and the next drill began; Kicking between pairs and then doing pushups. I didn't see it, but according to Beatle, Naitanui's pushups were weak, though with arms like that it can't be easy.

At around this point we were once again joined by Mattman.

Not much really happened after the kicking and pushups, so we then tried to focus on individual players for a little while.
Lynch, JK, McKinley were all in the forward line, working hard.

Naitanui, Swift and co once again didn't do a lot after the original warming up, just sat on the sidelines and watched.

I suppose the most interesting occurances that we saw was the game the midfielders were playing. Cox and Seaby were competing for the tap to feed the midfielders who had to kick the ball into the hand of their respective assistant, as was the case last week. However, I tried to take pictures to highlight Cox's dominant nature. They seemed to turn out well, I haven't looked at them yet on the big screen.

Something to note was Davis and McGinnity really really getting at each other, tackled hard and, according to Beatle, some real niggle between them on the ground.
Adam Selwood and Davis were also real hard at it with each other.
One particular matchup that had be baffled was a ruck contest between Sullivan and Ryan Davis of all people. Davis was leaping around like a terrier but Sullivan hit the ball away with relative ease, though Davis was moving him around a bit.

The next drill that briefly occured was a tackling game. They were all in a small cluttered space and they had to handball it to their teammates. Shirts vs bibs. The team not in possession's job was to tackle them.
This was where the Davis - McGinnity niggle occured IIRC.
Priddis tackles anything that moves, but we all knew that already.
Hurn is just a general tank though, shrugging and marching through his tacklers, Priddis included. He was bleeding briefly from the chin after it, but 10 seconds of wiping it off later he was back in it.

Other than that, not much to report.

Adrian Barich asked me us to mention him in the report, so here you are Barra mate, just for you.

Things to note
- Waters left early yet again
- The Victorian imports present but not doing much
- Naitanui and Swift still training lightly
- Swift not superstitious - When I asked him if he was, and mentioned the bad luck we've had with number 15, his reply was brilliant. "I'm not worried, I write my own future"
Brilliant reply, Mr. Swift.

I think we may finally have got a photo of Mitch Brown.
I had a quick chat to Woosha and asked him who he thought was bigger; Q-zilla or Brown. After careful though, he suggested perhaps that Lynchy might just have him. He also still doesn't know if Brown will play forward or back, or if he does he's certainly not letting on, but I'd suggest, based on his current training regime, that he'll be a forward, primarily at least. Woosha might choose to use him as a Swingman in the mould of Hunter, and less prominantly, Embley.

I think that's it.... as I said, not much to report.

Adrian Barich was there and I overheard him talking to someone about mop and beatlesmith saying;
"They're actually pretty good, they do a full comprehensive write up on training.."
Well done boys, you've got Barra's approval!

Yeah I went down today too and said G'day to Barra and he asked me if I was a reporter for Bigfooty and I told him I was a Bigfooty member but the boys over there (pointing in the direction of who I thought was Beatlesmith and Mop) were the ones that did the training reports. He was really impressed with the reports and he said to keep up the good work.

Thanks Mop

always a good read.

Good to see the agreesion between the rookies, boyh Davis and Stevenson are fast, lets just hope is only for trianing and they get on ok.

Has anyone noticed if Mitch Brown's agility has suffered due to his size?
Not at all.
He runs and runs and runs and jumps and marks and kicks.. and then runs some more just for good measure.

And were any draftees there? How did they go?
They were there but did very, very little. Handballing and the kicking drill was all.
Shuey looks a lot like McGinnity, Beatlesmith was convinced it was in fact McGinnity until he examined him through the binoculars.

Thanks again for the report guys.

From the great reports I've read so far this pre-season, it seems as though the players are going through a pretty light pre-season. I was under the impression that most pre-seasons involve a large volume of track running and usually not much ball-work. Have the boys already done their heavyrunning, is it to come after Christmas or have they gone for a light load this year?

100_0568.jpg

100_0570.jpg

100_0572.jpg

100_0574.jpg

100_0577.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks again for the report guys.

From the great reports I've read so far this pre-season, it seems as though the players are going through a pretty light pre-season. I was under the impression that most pre-seasons involve a large volume of track running and usually not much ball-work. Have the boys already done their heavyrunning, is it to come after Christmas or have they gone for a light load this year?
That trend has mostly stopped. Listening to some of the assistants on SEN over the past few weeks they have highlighted that the straight distance running isn't much good, it's the repeated bursts they require. For that stuff, the ball work is as good as anything. That's not to say the boys won't be doing more base fitness work, but they probably won't be doing it in their big sessions. The Famous time trials the Carlton boys do (about 3.8 km from memory) is aparrently the longest run they do all summer....

Got there a bit late and saw Rosa walking out of the ground as I was walking in. Didn't see Waters at all so must have left before I got there. Didn't see J-Mac or Ebert but may have been there

some of the things that I saw were;

*Adrian Barich with his 2-3 year old son arriving in a black BMW I think (hello Barra if you are reading this)
*Adrian Barich told me to tell the boys to keep up the training reports
*Kerr, Staker Scott Selwood, Masten running around kicking the ball to each other
*Staker and Kerr not doing any other training apart from this
*Couldn't see Jordan Jones (may have left already) but all other draftees were there
*Masten and S.Selwood doing handball in a circle with draftees
*Seaby doing lead and mark work with the forwards
*Others doing this forward line work were McKinley, Lecras, Notte, Lynch, Hansen, Kennedy
*Brown with the defenders at the other end of the ground
*Sullivan on Davis for some ruck contests; Seaby on Cox
*In the approximately 100m running exercise Houlihan and Selwood pushing each other at the front of the group (others included McGinnity, Priddis, Embley, Fletcher, Stenglein).
*Lynch at the front of the other group and Davis at the back (others were Cox, Seaby, Sullivan, Hurn, Stevenson)
*when everyone else was stretching at the end, Seaby was doing goal kicking, ruck taps and ball work with a trainer

That trend has mostly stopped. Listening to some of the assistants on SEN over the past few weeks they have highlighted that the straight distance running isn't much good, it's the repeated bursts they require. For that stuff, the ball work is as good as anything. That's not to say the boys won't be doing more base fitness work, but they probably won't be doing it in their big sessions. The Famous time trials the Carlton boys do (about 3.8 km from memory) is aparrently the longest run they do all summer....

Thanks for the info Larri it'll be interesting to see if there's a reduction in major wear-and-tear injuries as a result.

Something to note was Davis and Stevenson really really getting at each other, tackled hard and, according to Beatle, some real niggle between them on the ground.

I thought it was Davis and McGinnity but you guys were closer. Davis was holding him on the ground and when they got up I thought I saw some jumper punches. Not sure about the seriousness of it tho.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back