Remove this Banner Ad

Colin D'Cops

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Essendon Player Sponsor 2011
Nov 24, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Training begins for Gold Coast

GOLD Coast coach Guy McKenna oversaw his first training session on Saturday, with 40 players put through fitness testing and skills work at Carrara Stadium.
Eight of the 40 are contracted to the club, while the rest are locals identified through Queensland's talented player pathway program.
So begins the campaign of all players to retain their place in the squad as the club embarks on the TAC Cup competition in 2009, graduates to the VFL in 2010 and becomes the AFL's 17th club in 2011.
"I'm not real good with the crystal ball, but I would conservatively say there would be at least half a dozen who would definitely be good enough and probably three or four who, if they were in the draft, would be able to play senior footy next year," McKenna told Sunday's The Age.
"It is history in the making. It's exciting to teach these boys what discipline and commitment and professionalism are all about.
"The skill level we saw today (Saturday) was exciting. Athletically, they are not too shabby, I wouldn't say fantastic. Some are exceptional but others are a fair way off."
McKenna was flanked at the session by new assistant coaches Shaun Hart and Marcus Ashcroft, both triple premiership players with the Brisbane Lions, and is adjusting well to his new home after spending five years with Collingwood.
The opportunity to have an impact outside of a traditional football culture is something that's driving him.
"These kids don't grow up with footy culture, which means they don't have fathers, uncles and teachers filling their heads with what they should do," McKenna said.
"We are working with a clean sheet, we can set some values and standards. These boys are eating out of our hand and it is really exciting."

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=69810

ok heres what ive heard about training
direct from a guy that trained who is training with raiders atm
soon as they got there it was a 2k time trial, apparently 36degrees
2hr skills session, mainly full field work, not short drills
meeting for about and hour and a half
then another 2k time trial

Remove this Banner Ad

Back