Training Camp

Remove this Banner Ad

crowsfan

Team Captain
Nov 3, 2002
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
Well, the training camp at Strathalbyn started today and runs till Sunday arvo. As well as being a team bonding exercise, Ayres also mentioned on the C10 sports report that they'll be testing the players both mentally and physically but not too hard since they came back from a (well deserved) 2 week break.

What was interesting to hear was that on the C7 sports report, Ayres discussed the team's tactics and game plans for this year. If I heard correctly, he said that our game plan this year would pretty much stay the same as last year, with not too many changes at all. He didn't specifically designate Carey to a position (though most of us have speculated he should stay primarily at FF) but I'm pretty sure that he said that Carey would just slot into the game plan.

I'm pretty surprised that Ayres would even mention game plans and all that sorta stuff so early on already in the year. What do you guys think about this? Did anyone else catch either sports reports? What do you guys think about Ayres' comments regarding the team tactics and game plans??

I didnt see him talk of game plans but at the end of the day ...Whats he gonna give away?

Nothing he'd have to kill you over ( Id suggest )

Each and every coach is still going to have to match up on Carey wherever he plays.

I hope we dont change too much. ie Id hate so see us straighten up too much from last year and compromise our style?

Our inside 50s are good..... lets now convert our entries

Originally posted by topjars
I didnt see him talk of game plans but at the end of the day ...Whats he gonna give away?

Nothing he'd have to kill you over ( Id suggest )

Each and every coach is still going to have to match up on Carey wherever he plays.

I hope we dont change too much. ie Id hate so see us straighten up too much from last year and compromise our style?

Our inside 50s are good..... lets now convert our entries

Right on the money as usual topjars. We had visitors for tea (a beautiful lamb roast with baked potatoes, vegies and gravy) so I missed the news reports. But at the end of the day Ayresy would have really told them less than I told you what I had for tea!! :)

And wherever Carey plays, (FF is my bet) they will still have to match up on him, and if they double team him, our loose forward should have a picnic.

As topjars says, we get plenty of the ball inside our 50 - it's now up to Wayne, Ronnie and crew to turn them into sausage rolls.

Can't wait!! ;)

Originally posted by PAfolwr
Carey will play at CHF. Be mad to play him anywhere else.
Whilst Carey no doubt will play @ CHF at some stage, he should predominantly play FF (with Stevo @ CHF). However, both players can be swapped around if things are going well, or thrown in to defence if need be. Playing Carey mainly @ FF will hopefully prelong his career too.

TJ & Macca are spot when saying that we don't need to change our game plan as it works well. Where we fell down most last year was marking/converting inside 50m, particularly when Stevo was shut down.

Yep, you guys are right, doesn't seem to be the need to change a winning formula. I guess I was just a bit surprised that reporters would ask Ayres about game plans and all so early, as I thought they might concentrate on more training camp stuff, and whats going on with a few of the players' injuries e.g. Roo and the slight Carey hammy strain.

Originally posted by Kane McGoodwin
Whilst Carey no doubt will play @ CHF at some stage, he should predominantly play FF (with Stevo @ CHF). However, both players can be swapped around if things are going well, or thrown in to defence if need be. Playing Carey mainly @ FF will hopefully prelong his career too.

TJ & Macca are spot when saying that we don't need to change our game plan as it works well. Where we fell down most last year was marking/converting inside 50m, particularly when Stevo was shut down.
Getting Carey is a short term gamble that if it pays off, it may bring you a premiership. Looking after him for the long term should not come into it.
If on song he is the best CHF around. By playing predominantly at FF, his "sphere of influence" is lessened, and subsequently his value to the team is not as much as it could be. For mine CHF, go for broke.
Then again I follow another team, so perhaps I view it differently.

Originally posted by PAfolwr
Getting Carey is a short term gamble that if it pays off, it may bring you a premiership. Looking after him for the long term should not come into it.
If on song he is the best CHF around. By playing predominantly at FF, his "sphere of influence" is lessened, and subsequently his value to the team is not as much as it could be. For mine CHF, go for broke.
Then again I follow another team, so perhaps I view it differently.

This post makes a lot of sense.

Having said all along, that I think the Crows will play Carey at FF to prolong his career and give us that marking forward close to goal that we have always lacked, I totally understand where you're coming from and you're right.

If playing Carey at CHF meant that we would win the 2003 flag but finish him off, then yes, I would be the first to say play him at CHF. The means would justify the end. Conversely if playing him at FF meant that he could play for another 5 years and we would not get a flag in that time, there would be no point in that. He was recruited to help us have a fair dinkum crack at winning either or both of the 2003 and 2004 flags.

So your principle is 100% right.

Adopting your principle I still think that Carey will be at FF though, not because it would prolong his playing life, but more importantly because it gives us the ingredient missing from previous years. We have always managed to get the ball often enough into the scoring zone - it's the finish that has been lacking and Carey and Burns will hopefully give us that finish.

We'll know in a few weeks - can't wait!! ;)

Both Carey & Stevens are capable of playing FF & CHF. As I have previously mentioned, I think that Stevens will still play mainly CHF (with Carey @ FF) - however, if things aren't going well, I'm sure Carey as a proven matchwinner will be moved to CHF. This is a luxury we did not have last year! Bring on the 2003 season ... :D

Guys, this is the full report of the training camp from the AFC website.

Pre-Season training camp wrap-up
matthew robran
afc.com.au
11:58:12 AM Fri 10 January, 2003

The Adelaide Crows annual pre-season training camp took place on Friday 3rd February and concluded on Sunday 5th February at the Clipsal Training Centre at Strathalbyn. The camp is designed to physically challenge the players with a series of tough runs and activities planned throughout the three-day camp, as well as including some more relaxing and team bonding games.

The camp got to off to a relaxing start for the players and staff with a social cricket match on Friday morning. Apart from the obvious highlights of many players clearing the boundary line with a six, the many dropped catches or the confusion between the two batsmen resulting in a run-out, the most notable highlight was assistant coach, Peter Curran, taking a spectacular outfield catch (much like Glen McGrath’s effort at Adelaide Oval in the recent Ashes Test). The cricket match did have its ugly side with four of the competing players sustaining injuries, which would prematurely end their camp. Football Operations Manager, John Reid, and training Services Manager, Trevor Jaques both suffered hamstring strains while ball Steward, Tony Scuteri and physiotherapist, Kevin Whitford fell victims of the dreaded groin strain.

The relaxed atmosphere of the camp was quickly forgotten with the arrival of the afternoon session. The squad was divided into four teams with Ben Hart, Mark Ricciuto, Brett Burton and Andrew McLeod and Simon Goodwin (joint leaders) named as leaders of their teams.

1. Hart, Bassett, Bock, Crowell, Jericho, McGregor, Perrie, Rutten, Smart, Smith, Parker
2. Burton, Biglands, Carey, Clarke, Hentschel, Marsh, Schell, Stevens, Welsh, Bratton
3. Riccuito, Bickley, Begley, Bode, Burns, Doughty, John****, Mattner, Schuback, Stenglein, Skipworth
4. McLeod, Edwards, Gallagher, Goodwin, Ladhams, Massie, Nelson, Reilly, Shirley, Torney, Porplyzia

Now the serious stuff was under way as the teams were competing against each other with the aim of being crowned the Strathalbyn champions!

Each team had to complete an eight-kilometer orienteering run which included trivia questions, which gave the teams bonus points, at specific checkpoints throughout the run. The standout player in the trivia questions was Nathan Bassett.

The evening session, although relaxed was still very competitive as the teams took on each other in a series of ‘pub games’ (darts and pool) as well as tennis, table tennis and a golf chipping competition. The competitive nature of the players was evident as the level of sledging in all these games was through the roof. Scott Welsh was the standout in the darts and pool, Tyson Edwards in the tennis, Tyson Stenglein was the table tennis guru and Ben Hart showed his skills with a pitching wedge.

The Saturday morning session was designed to test the fitness and teamwork of each team as all players took part in a four-kilometre run from the training base to Strathalbyn Oval and return. The first half of the run was done at a steady pace, but once the teams hit the oval and headed for home, the pace was on. Each side had to get all their players back to the training base in as shorter time as possible, and the clock would only stop when the last player from each team entered back into the training facility. Brett Burton, Matthew Bode and James Gallagher all moved beautifully during this run and all teams worked well to ensure all players covered the distance in as little time possible.

Saturday afternoon was the toughest challenge of the camp. The Star Force Division, led by former Crow Paul Patterson, designed a running course through Kuitpo Forrest, which covered twelve kilometers and left the players exhausted by the finish. At various stages throughout the run players undertook a range of activities, which would earn them bonus points. New recruits James Begley and Jason Torney, as well as Rhett Biglands covered the undulating terrain in impressive fashion.

The evening session was set aside for free time and most players took the opportunity to rest their weary bodies by sitting in either the pool or spa or putting their feet up in front of the TV, while others hit the sack early knowing that the Sunday was going to be another tough day.

The final session of the camp saw each of the teams play each other in a nine-a-side game of corridor football. A few hundred interested locals ventured to Strathalbyn Oval to see the boys go through their paces. Each game lasted fifteen minutes and concluded with the two sides with the highest accumulative scores playing off in the final. The competitive nature of the players certainly came to the fore in these games with many players finishing the session with cuts and bruises, while Tyson Stenglein and Hayden Skipworth’s push and shove demonstrated that all players were desperate to win. The final result of the games saw Andrew McLeod and Simon Goodwin’s team win the Grand Final.

The camp finished with a relaxing BBQ back at the training base where Macca’s and Goody’s team were crowned ‘The Strathalbyn Champions’

Remove this Banner Ad

Back