Autopsy Training Drill Review Vs North (99 - 35)

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m still at a loss how Brayshaw had that much space, Darcy kept Anderson out of it, but aside from him Brayshaw had 30m of space
Yeah that was very strange. I don't think I've ever seen a player stroll out of a centre bounce and take a few bounces, only sprinting at 100%.

I liked our forward set up where we seemed to have either Tabs or Jesse virtually standing on the edge of our goal square and only leading or moving toward the play once it was well forward of the centre. This created a situation where North had to defend players and space.

Perhaps this tactic only works if you are well on top of the opposition and may backfire if the other side could win the ball back in our forward half. All in all our forwards all played their positions very well and hopefully may have evolved some positioning that works to make them more dangerous.

I think this game shows that we need Hogan in the team, regardless of how Tabs and Lobb is tracking.
With our new plan to move the ball forward slowly and more deliberately, 3 tall targets are necessary. Especially if one of them roam downfield to help take a contested mark in the middle of the ground, we’ll still have a tall forward in the one on one up the ground.

Not a bad effort to win by 10 goals and be ajudged to have not one player with an excellent individual rating (7.5 the best). I'd argue that if other players had a game like Fyfe, they would have got at least 9.
The media isn't on Fyfe this year but would genuinely not be surprised if he still top 5s in the Brownlow. Umps love him and he has still been very good, just not 2015 or 2019 good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but Schultz did a great block for Taberner to allow him to kick his first.

This was a common theme all day, and it was great to see the forward line working for each other.

I was impressed that the talls weren't all flying for the same ball. Has been an ongoing frustration for me, even this year.

Probably the first time since we played North last year talls gave each other space.

Maybe it's North? But hopefully they have started to figure it out.

The attacking team appears to draw more frees going forward if the forwards are isolated in one on ones. To the umpire it looks like the defender is panicking and holding when most of the time it's a 50/50 tustle. Hogan got two sodas from this from memory.

The attacking team appears to draw more frees going forward if the forwards are isolated in one on ones. To the umpire it looks like the defender is panicking and holding when most of the time it's a 50/50 tustle. Hogan got two sodas from this from memory.

Tabs went the other way In a 50/50. Starting to get the Pav treatment from umpires.

Tabs went the other way In a 50/50. Starting to get the Pav treatment from umpires.
Tabs not even close to get umpiring protection. Pretty horrible considering he’s quite lame and hardly appeals whenever two defenders grab him high or block his space for a mark.
10 free kicks for him this whole season. 10! Given away 12. A net loss of 2.

Darling on the other hand, has 17 free kicks. Know what’s insane. Only given away 3. Net gain of 14.

Tabs not even close to get umpiring protection. Pretty horrible considering he’s quite lame and hardly appeals whenever two defenders grab him high or block his space for a mark.
10 free kicks for him this whole season. 10! Given away 12. A net loss of 2.

Darling on the other hand, has 17 free kicks. Know what’s insane. Only given away 3. Net gain of 14.
IMO this again falls into the 'footy nous' basket. It's a legitimate skill but not one that people love, similar to pro golfers who know how to use the rules to their advantage and of course soccer players too. As has been discussed at length, footy brains and Tabs don't go that well together.

IMO this again falls into the 'footy nous' basket. It's a legitimate skill but not one that people love, similar to pro golfers who know how to use the rules to their advantage and of course soccer players too. As has been discussed at length, footy brains and Tabs don't go that well together.
It’s not footy brain per se. It’s acting and being dishonest. Fans aren’t dumb whenever Darling gets it. You know it’s coming every time.
Tabs is too honest really. He just keeps going even when he’s clearly held. What do the coaches say? You get touched fall, flop to the floor?

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but Schultz did a great block for Taberner to allow him to kick his first.

This was a common theme all day, and it was great to see the forward line working for each other.

Been a massive improvement in shepherding across the board.

That one (in the second quarter?) where Tabs had his face raked during a two-on-one marking contest on the wing...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back