Opinion Training facilities in Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Here we go ,
I think we should be starting to plan our finals campaign now by having talks with Melbourne clubs that won't take part in finals this year about use of their facilities during the finals .
Namely Melb, ST Kilda, Western bulldogs and possibly Kangaroos .
Now I'm sure the Saints will tell us to Piss Off but the others could use the money .

We travel once every 2 weeks during the home and away games {change from normal this year }
during the finals we will be travelling every week depending on where we finish at the end of home\away.
Should we finish in 6 th or 7th we will fly every week like last year
5th or better we get a home final and then depending on results we could be flying soon after .

So to give ourselves the best chance of success what is the best thing we can change that can help
the team be in the best possible shape .
REDUCE the amount of flying
By doing that our players get more time to recover , get medical or physio sooner and get the sore body's help sooner rather than later .
It takes the boys 3 days to get over flying interstate and then one light training session before they get back on a plane heading back to Melbourne . We saw the results of the flying last year do we need to repeat the same mistake or improve
I know some will say the players won't like not sleeping in their own bed or they will miss family.
They are professionals and yes the wives and partners should be with them but major league baseballers,pro soccer players and cricketers plus other sports have longer away trips than us and they cope so there are my feelings

I would go further and do this once or twice a year e.g. organising a Saturday game in Melbourne, followed by another Saturday\Friday game in Melbourne and not bother flying home.

The player could use it as a bonding experience, and it will allow us to play a couple of home games back to back.

I'm a firm believer in routine and that's what we've been consistent with our travel to Melbourne since Ross has taken over.

The guys need to be used to their reglar weekly schedule of Recovery, T1, T2, (T3 depending on the turn around time) and another recovery the day before gameday.

The boys haven't completed 1 training session in Melbourne no matter which day they get here. Its just a recovery session down at St Kilda baths in and out of the hot/cold water with a ball being kicked. It's a shame for us fans in Melbourne that were used to the kicks down at Wesley/Punt Rd/Albert Park and a chance for signatures and photos.
I had a chance to speak to Michael Dobbin when the guys were last here and he mentioned that Ross is big on routine. It must help the players prepare to be an 'Anywhere, Anytime' team.

Would not want to muck around with what they are doing... If we finish 3rd or 4th it won't be a problem if we somehow manage to lose because we get a home game for the Elim the week after.

If we finish Top 2 and we win, we won't travel at all leading up to the GF.

If we drop to 5th/6th and win, that's when the following EF and PF become consectutive travel weeks.

They way we are going at the moment, I don't see this to be an issue.

Michael Dobbin?

I wonder if we will ever get to the stage of having a camp like GWS do in Blacktown???. With our own accomodation. Then we play two or three games over East in a block.

Fred do you agree or disagree that travel was a big part in our finals campaign last year and the players had reduced time to recover and to freshen up for the Adelaide game .

Instead of flying from Melb to Perth we had stayed in Melb for a couple of days then gone to Adelaide the team would have been in better shape . The reserve\emergency players could have joined the boys in Adelaide and we improved our chances by at least 20%.

It was the successive weeks that caused the trouble.
A normal travel pattern ie; alternate weeks isn't causing us problems nowadays in fact it could be argued we prefer it.

I think it is inevitable a customized jet will be made available eventually to ferry both W.A teams interstate and a visiting team here, perhaps inside 10 years.
But for now, just finish top four and go with what we are used to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The WAFC should buy a facility in Melbourne and provide it for Freo and WC (we are not usually there at the same time)

Oval
sheds
fridge
bottle opener
etc.

Collingwood charter a plane when they fly interstate and it is only allowed to fly at low altitude we could do the same .

The ideal situation would be for Fremantle to build a stadium over there, rent it to the Bulldogs/Kangaroos etc and have all our recovery and preparation there. We could even have a Victorian Docker Football Academy/Our own team in the TAC cup etc.

We just need half a billion dollars.

That idea was one that Carlton had with Princes park and it almost sent the bankrupt

The cricketers take the WAGS with them or they join up at the beginning of the last test when they are overseas

Did they get foxtel installed in their tin shed?

Yep, a 22 million dollar one.

image-jpg.20115

250213_Large.jpg

FWIW, St Kilda's base is in Seaford about 40km's from Melbourne's CBD.

I think Pykie is giving us permission.

We will require you to replace that logo first, no hurry though.

Pykie how much to rent the facility for the finals since you may not need it in September .

Whats the accommodation like .
Is there a decent hotel close by family friendly of coarse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back