Training Training news & reports

Remove this Banner Ad

If we were doing it one thing for suire.....no chance of the team being finalised on a Thursday night.

In fact we'd still be fiddling with it at half time
I think so.

And some would be holding out to include

Heath Shaw in the side.

:D

What you do with balls and walls perhaps needs to be kept more quiet :eek:
Great tune. A mate of mine actually cranked this on a boombox to a priest in class as his "song that means something special to me".. pissa! Fair to say said priest was not amused

this one?
[/QUOTE]

Don't spoil the surprise doodles..............it could go either way you know!! :mad::)

I just have to think of a song for a draw...........just in case!!!

This bloke says hi to your theory...........enjoy!

Congratulations. You have at least found 1 exception to the rule. Missed 11 weeks, returned straight into the seniors.

Great tune. A mate of mine actually cranked this on a boombox to a priest in class as his "song that means something special to me".. pissa! Fair to say said priest was not amused

Twin Flying Vs! And Travis Cloke's banned gloves!

Looks suspiciously like Bad News on Tour if you ask me :p

Congratulations. You have at least found 1 exception to the rule. Missed 11 weeks, returned straight into the seniors.

..........and scored the winning goal at the SCG...............lightning does strike twice........SURELY!

Just play him!

Twin Flying Vs! And Travis Cloke's banned gloves!

Looks suspiciously like Bad News on Tour if you ask me :p
Liked for the Bad News reference. Hugely under-rated and influential band. They did the greatest version of Bohemian Rhapsody ever!

Liked for the Bad News reference. Hugely under-rated and influential band. They did the greatest version of Bohemian Rhapsody ever!

And some of the best metal lyrics ever

"Some people like to put their dick in a blender"
"Some people like to have a wank at Eastenders"
etc...

Look I'm a big boy just say you disagreed with my opinion it doesn't mean either of us is right or wrong. How's about this you give your best evidence to support your claim that he MUST return via the two's and I'll weigh it up?

To this point listing a bunch of recurrence injury recoveries from players at strong clubs has done nothing to convince me. Therefore bring something worthwhile and I might buy in. I will grant one point at least you aren't attempting to shut discussion down altogether!

Edit: doodles98 I found the bolded comment quite intriguing it's amazing what you can learn unintentionally;)
It wasn't solely your point in regards to senior players deciding what level they play at that I disagreed with.

Other posters wanting him in due to the high stakes of the game, I also disagree with. Higher the stakes, even more reason to be confident you have fully match fit players.

Other posters thinking an underdone Elliott will offer more than Blair even if he just sits in the goal square, I disagree with.

The notion that a green light from the doc means you are in match condition, I also disagree with.

Elliott has had a longer absence then most blokes have when they do an ACL. When players return from an ACL mid-season, how many jump straight into high level football without any lower level games?

Not sure JJ is a fair comparison, he wasn't returning from not playing for more than 18 months!!

The year before Bevo made D.Morris return via VFL, so in any case a decision is made as to the individuals match readiness.

If Elliott is deemed not ready, I can't see how anybody could be upset at the club for not playing him!? I'm sure Bucks would be wanting to be able to have him up forward just as much as we do!

And some of the best metal lyrics ever

"Some people like to put their dick in a blender"
"Some people like to have a wank at Eastenders"
etc...
Yep.. lot of poignant meaning. Love their classic protest song "burning looting raping shooting" too. First song ever to have the entire lyrics in the title. Groundbreaking!

..........and scored the winning goal at the SCG...............lightning does strike twice........SURELY!

Just play him!

He's not on our list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you need to review when he actually started full training.

Elliott hasn't broken down, he's sustained a new injury. All the players you sighted had uninterrupted runs at resuming which included either multiple reserves games or multiple preseason games. By your own argument, if it's good enough for Hawthorn to allow players to have a hit-out at a lower level game before they resume senior footy, I am not sure why you consider the Pies to be doing anything different. It would be the same at every other club.

Still waiting for that list of players who have resumed from LTI's and gone straight into the seniors without any lower level footy.

I pointed it out to you- Roughead and JOM didn't play lower level footy.
They resumed via the seniors.

JLT games are overrated.
Players are professional these days and diligent in their preparations. The guns do not need to play lower level footy to "resume".

Was Elliott's rolled ankle which ruled him out for a few weeks worse than Roughead's cancer scare or JOM consistent knee injuries that have left him off the pitch for the good part of 2yrs?

Do you think Elliott will go less harder at the ball if he plays VFL?
Do you think he will just pick and choose his moments?

He will play as if he is playing senior footy.
Therefore, why waste his talents in the twos- if we were flying you could understand-yet we are almost at panic stations.

JLT games are overrated.
Players are professional these days and diligent in their preparations. The guns do not need to play lower level footy to "resume".

Was Elliott's rolled ankle which ruled him out for a few weeks worse than Roughead's cancer scare or JOM consistent knee injuries that have left him off the pitch for the good part of 2yrs?

Therefore, why waste his talents in the twos- if we were flying you could understand-yet we are almost at panic stations.

JOM and Roughy both played all 3 JLT games which by your own admission is "overrated" and as per my assertion, lower football. Don't recall any points being allocated or clubs running out their best available every game, reduced quarters, larger benches, higher rotations.

No, I don't expect Elliott to go any softer at VFL level. Difference is that he can be benched for extended periods of each quarter or for whole quarters. A luxury he wouldn't have at senior level.

Happy to agree to disagree.

JLT games are overrated.

The JLT games are lower level football, used to help players expose themselves to match conditions before playing actual AFL games.

They are exactly the same as VFL games in terms of preparation.

Elliott played 1/2 a JLT game, his only 'competitive' football in over 18 months.

If Roughy was declared medically fit to play mid season, do you think the Hawks would throw him back into senior footy without any lower level practice games??

JOM and Roughy both played all 3 JLT games which by your own admission is "overrated" and as per my assertion, lower football. Don't recall any points being allocated or clubs running out their best available every game, reduced quarters, larger benches, higher rotations.

No, I don't expect Elliott to go any softer at VFL level. Difference is that he can be benched for extended periods of each quarter or for whole quarters. A luxury he wouldn't have at senior level.

Happy to agree to disagree.

We do disagree on points yet surely we could rest him out of the goal square if we needed to to "manage" him or for rotation luxuries?

The JLT games are lower level football, used to help players expose themselves to match conditions before playing actual AFL games.

They are exactly the same as VFL games in terms of preparation.

Elliott played 1/2 a JLT game, his only 'competitive' football in over 18 months.

If Roughy was declared medically fit to play mid season, do you think the Hawks would throw him back into senior footy without any lower level practice games??

Mid season would assume the player has been injured throughout the entire summer and up until that point.

In this case both players missed an entire year.
Both players completed a full summer.
Difference being Elliott rolled an ankle just before start of season.

Now that he is available I don't like the idea of having a quality player turn out for the reserves.

Why is Greenwood returning via the seniors?
Has he not missed the same amount of time this season as Elliott?

The track record of the BF board would sit nicely v those that handled the return of Nathan Freeman;)

Alas opinions are like arseholes everyone has them and ye old medical staff always know best POV is just that an opinion! As a mod you really should know better...

Hah the difference is you know you're opinion is more informed and don't deny others their's...

GC's post unfortunately added as little to the discussion as ol mate Clayton last night!

Scodog10 not sure you are hearing my view here. I am not suggesting "ye old medical staff always know best". Believe me I could talk to you for a long time why this is often not the case in all sorts of situations. If you haven't picked it up from my posting I am more than anything a sceptic and doctors are very fallible. I am not trying to deny anyone their opinion either but i am suggesting it might be wise to temper those opinions.

The base point I have is that I am coming from a position of ignorance when it comes to having an opinion on whether Elliott should play AFL or VFL when he is ready to play. I just don't feel I have anywhere near the information I would need about his current position or the expertise in fitness and conditioning to be able to make an informed decision.

I would contrast that with my opinion on selection this week. I would say I think Blair needs to go and Varcoe to come in. I can base that on having watched the last 2 matches both live and on replay and having a reasonable footy knowledge based on years of watching and playing the game. My opinion could be argued by others but I would reasonably feel I have enough understanding to have a worthwhile opinion.

As such my opinion here is I hope like hell it is decided by the club Elliott is ready to play AFL this week but if he isnt I will accept they have the information and knowledge I dont so will accept their decision.

You may feel my opinion adds little to the discussion but I find it curious you have tried to shut down that opinion but not bothered to address any of the points I have made.

Mid season would assume the player has been injured throughout the entire summer and up until that point.

In this case both players missed an entire year.
Both players completed a full summer.
Difference being Elliott rolled an ankle just before start of season.

Now that he is available I don't like the idea of having a quality player turn out for the reserves.

Why is Greenwood returning via the seniors?
Has he not missed the same amount of time this season as Elliott?

Just as an aside my memory is Elliott was on an amended program for much of the pre season and only joined in full training fairly late in the piece. If he does come back via the VFL that may be part of the reason.

Just as an aside my memory is Elliott was on an amended program for much of the pre season and only joined in full training fairly late in the piece. If he does come back via the VFL that may be part of the reason.
He was joining in drills etc from day one and was in full training officially after the Xmas break. He really should be in ripping nick fitness wise.

He was joining in drills etc from day one and was in full training officially after the Xmas break. He really should be in ripping nick fitness wise.

That first half against the Bombers proved that to me...........I did say during the game how much we missed him in 2016.

We need a spark on Friday night and I think Elliott would have provided that..........cést la vie!

That's my recollection. Managed pre-Christmas with lots of running laps, eased into full training post Christmas and had done enough to be played for 1/2 a JLT game. If he hadn't have had the ankle injury likely he would have played at least 1 of the next 2 JLT games and been cherry ripe for Round 1. Did roll the ankle and has missed 4-5 weeks of training in the interim though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back