mighty mick

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 10, 2002
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
aussie cricket team
went to training today as im on holidays and i needed a new jumper.

interesting to note the injury sqad.

martyn- due to hamstring of corse did laps after the initial injury grp training, but came off looking a very tired man. looks like retirement is catching up with him

winnie- good to see him out there with this grp trained lightly but gave me a bit of hope as to why we are holding onto him. also saw a replay of a hawks game on the weekend, winnie starred so heres hoping.

corey jones sat training out.

john blakey trained with the main grp but some talk was that he may miss due to the mixture of injuries he has suffered.

now for the surprise... glen archer trained with the injury squad for a short time and then left the field cause of injury was a back complaint from saturdays game.

the rest of the squad went through what you would call normal drills emphasizing the skills on ball carrying, accurate passing to the forwards, contested marking and on field preassure.

after breaking into the two grps for senior and magoo training.
tashi sorry to show my ignorance but what number is crowe,

last of all they finished of with some sprints

i must say that porter is looking a bit on the slow side as he struggled for the sprints

finally on a sad note i had not spotted spider burton on the track,
he is not injured but he is alredy in wa due to his mother passing away.

the forwards and some others stayed on the field for while having a friendly game of who could kick the longest goal. of course it came down to sav and digby but diggers accuracy let him down in the end,

goroos2002:D

re training

archer should play as he didnt look to bad and it was just a rest with light duties for him.

spider will remain in wa and play on saturday

saw a bit of crowe with the reserve squad

harris looks like the one to watch and i must agree with the other threads on the board at the moment.

give harris a go.

the warm weather was good training conditions too for a subiaco game

thanks but i need the money

sorry mate i was in the area and hadnt been to arden st for quite a while, brings back somememories of the seventies sitting in front of the social club. but the part time work i do get is minimal

and melbourne putting on such a great weather display again, happy to be of service and keep you all informed.

i really enjoy the posts from the rest of you guys, :D

and as you can see i love my footy.

sounds interesting...we should really have designated people do certain things....eg.:

someone to report and go to trainings and what drills we're emphasising on

someone to report and go to MK games and specifically give a run down on how our youngens played and how our older guys are going

several people to go to games and give their verdict on how we went and reports....i'm going to be at mostly all the games I can attend (VCE and other commitments provided and within the city) so i can do a report whe ever i can....

im only new at this

i went to training to pass some time and unfortunately my knowledge of players by thier number is not gospel, but im pretty sure petrie and harris were two of the main magoos with the seniors.

junior was also training with them of course but no one else looked unfamiliar to me when they broke up into there two grps.

at least adam lange has a hair cut

Mighty Mick, did they actually hit any of those targetts they were aiming at in the drills or was it like most game days and anywhere in the general vivinity will do?:confused:

re training

stevo10 it was interesting to read your post about the drills, as they too must of known there deficiancies in being able to hit a target, and keep possion.

one drill they worked getting the ball out of the backline under the preassure of a team mate or two, and keeping posession until being able to long kick not bomb the ball onto a leading forward or some one running into space.

i did notice that there were a couple of variations of these drills but the main focus was to hit the teammate on the chest,
many contested marking and posesion practice.

id say more of the recievers stuffed up than the passers

i hope it all means that they will be going for a running game again like last yr, they played good footy that way... but what can you tell from one night of training eh,?

of course the usual speed ball handling skills was also there.:

That type of drill is still ala Pagan's game plan of yesteryear. If you have read my post under training already somewhere on the board, I give an idea on how the top teams set up from the midfield and defence from the contested situation. Another thing that the top teams do is have a short kick to a free player in space from congestion. So instead of the long clearing kick to the leading forward or chf hot spot (where we turn the ball over continuously) the short kick of around 25 to 40 metres finds a free running targett on the switch or midfield. This player is often a designated player who will then run and deliver to a leading forward around 30 to 40 from goal who has started in the square, or deliver to the hotspot 15 from goal. Players like Johnston and Akermanis and black perform this role beautifully for the Lions. Brown and Bradshaw play deep and lead hard and Lynch hangs out in the hotspot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Classic, a training report turns into a report on Langey's hair! :eek:

But I'm guilty of changing the subject line all the time. ;)

He has had it cut, yet it's still curly. At least he is not sporting the Osama look of January! :eek: :eek:

While i wasnt there this week, i've been to a fair few training sessions this year.

Everytime i've been there, Harris, Junior, Petrie, Smith (when fit), Crowe and Watson have gone with the senior group when they seperate. Interestingly, Bourke and McLaren are the opposite.

And the thing they seem to practice a heap is in-close work with plenty of shepparding and short quick hands as well as long over the top type handballs.

I have also noticed a heap of shorter kicking drills, often involving 3 players running with eachother in support. They do still practice their long kicking as well, also always with numbers in support.

you could of almost been there last night

hey carlos have you got esp the training drills were pretty much as you stated.

i missed a bit when training went to the wing opposite the social club, and a certain blonde walked out of the race and proceded to walk the length of the boundary line towards arden st.

i dont know who she was but she did gain the attention of corey jones and myself, by the way corey is still on crutches

Remove this Banner Ad

Back