Training Report 29 Jan

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure modern surgery has the ability to Transfer legs from one person to the other at a whim.
:D
:greenalien:
:D
It’s not about surgery, that’s a ridiculous suggestion.
I can’t understand how you cannot understand what a “coach” is supposed to do.
Surely a coach is appointed to pass on his skills when he was a player. And Bucks kicking skills were second to none.
Why hasn’t he been able to coach that skill to our players? I doubt all could actually achieve his level, but to not have the list achieve at least 80% efficiency is simply a failure on his part.
Just my view of course, but upon his appointment I thought we would become the best passing team 8n the league. Instead we have become the best chaos kickers in the league.

Surely a coach is appointed to pass on his skills when he was a player. And Bucks kicking skills were second to none.
Why hasn’t he been able to coach that skill to our players? I doubt all could actually achieve his level, but to not have the list achieve at least 80% efficiency is simply a failure on his part.
Just my view of course, but upon his appointment I thought we would become the best passing team 8n the league. Instead we have become the best chaos kickers in the league.
At least I get a laugh reading your posts.

Great creativity.
Imagine if you used your powers for good

:p

I reckon DaVe86 would like hearing that Goldsack and Varcoe are spending time forward at training. That would indicate a focus on more defensive pressure in the forward half.

I hope if that's the case it isn't to compensate for others up forward that can't or won't apply that pressure, because it needs to be a group effort.
JT is the other I think can play small forward and trap the ball in. Think he would bob up for goals too

JT is the other I think can play small forward and trap the ball in. Think he would bob up for goals too

Probably competing with Goldsack for that last spot at this stage you'd think, as Varcoe has much more natural ability and track-record in the forward line that either.

Offers an additional midfield rotation if/when needed as well.

I like the way youre thinking, and agree a tiny bit... but its somewhat akin to saying "get Craig Mottram to come and coach our fitness, and Kayle Kirby should be running 5.00 min 2kms in 2/3 years time.

natural ability plays a large part, and we havent drafted many elite kickers. Bucks should be able to help mason, but theres no way he is going to learn to kick like him

JT could play a role for sure. I'd probably prefer we go with Stephenson though. He'll add energy and is dangerous.

I like the way youre thinking, and agree a tiny bit... but its somewhat akin to saying "get Craig Mottram to come and coach our fitness, and Kayle Kirby should be running 5.00 min 2kms in 2/3 years time.

natural ability plays a large part, and we havent drafted many elite kickers. Bucks should be able to help mason, but theres no way he is going to learn to kick like him
Can we do this? Please?

Can't say I have thought that's what I would expect from a coach and for the likes of Clarkson, Hafey, Beveridge etc that's a good thing.

A coaches role isn't to specifically concentrate on what made them a good player. Their job is much more all encompassing. Our kicking issues come from the lack of skill of the players recruited, that is where my criticism would lie and Bucks is involved in that.

Mate, skills can be improved but no senior coach would spend much time on that. That's not really his job.

In any case, the evidence is that skills can be improved but only by degrees. If you're Taylor Adams, you'll never be able to kick like Buckley. The question mark is on the recruiting. And the issue for us is that our skilled players -- Wells, Broomhead, Elliot, Fasolo -- are the ones who have been injured. That's just bad luck.

I reckon DaVe86 would like hearing that Goldsack and Varcoe are spending time forward at training. That would indicate a focus on more defensive pressure in the forward half.

I hope if that's the case it isn't to compensate for others up forward that can't or won't apply that pressure, because it needs to be a group effort.

I think its the right move. Goldsack, Varcoe, Elliott and De Goey will add good pressure up forwars but can still be quite dynamic players.

It does help compensate for the immobility of Cox.

I think its the right move. Goldsack, Varcoe, Elliott and De Goey will add good pressure up forwars but can still be quite dynamic players.

It does help compensate for the immobility of Cox.
Agree and the plan may be for Sack to position himself next to/underneath Cox at all times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has sure had a lot of injuries since we took him on.

Not so much the quantum as the fact it's repeated calf and quad injuries that's a concern.

i disagree. We played frenetically last year and look where that got us. We don't have the players "to play fast". Adams and Treloar just blaze away for no return (although i blame Treloars groin for his bad disposal ). They need to think where to kick it. Their first thought is the wrong one.

The Geelong, gws, last round, etc. we managed to outnumber because we had better ball speed by "taking the game on". If you look at the Carlton game we slowed down partly because of the conditions but I'd hazard a guess it's because the players were instructed to "crab" backwards and sideways to draw out the opposition defence in the hope of a joe the goose over the top.

For me it's no secret our disposal is poor to a point that should not be in the highest level of the sport, my confidence is eroding reading reports about shitty disposal in match sims

C'mon Collingwood not another year of embarrassing disposal please!

The Geelong, gws, last round, etc. we managed to outnumber because we had better ball speed by "taking the game on". If you look at the Carlton game we slowed down partly because of the conditions but I'd hazard a guess it's because the players were instructed to "crab" backwards and sideways to draw out the opposition defence in the hope of a joe the goose over the top.

For me it's no secret our disposal is poor to a point that should not be in the highest level of the sport, my confidence is eroding reading reports about shitty disposal in match sims

We looked 2 Different Side last year.

1 was a Quick Moving Take the Game On Team and we look Dangerous when doing that.2

2 was a Slow Ball Moving Team and Kick Backwards and Sideways and that Team looked like it be Lucky to win a Game

Disposal has been a problem for years and probably even in the MM years. I don't know what the game plan is going to be this year , but i assume its a continuation of last years... There is an old saying. If you keep doing the same thing expecting things to change you will be waiting forever. I hope we do not play the same way as last year because it didnt work, and we basically have the same team barring a few newbies. I don't know what we are planning for this year.. i don't expect to get near the finals but that might be because we are in a waiting pattern to get Lynch... (very dangerous ploy if its true).
I can even cop a bad year if we spend the year experimenting because we have wasted 6. I do not think thats Buckleys style though.

We looked 2 Different Side last year.

1 was a Quick Moving Take the Game On Team and we look Dangerous when doing that.2

2 was a Slow Ball Moving Team and Kick Backwards and Sideways and that Team looked like it be Lucky to win a Game

Yeah bang on, the question is why were we instructed to crab. Bucks himself said so in the ess loss presser as to why we do it - to draw out the opp defenders. But why do we need to? is it a concession that we can't match teams like ess with transition because of disposal? Is that why we are heavily focused on skills this preseason?

And a question for the club, why the f*** is the skills focus not working at match sims?

Disposal has been a problem for years and probably even in the MM years. I don't know what the game plan is going to be this year , but i assume its a continuation of last years... There is an old saying. If you keep doing the same thing expecting things to change you will be waiting forever. I hope we do not play the same way as last year because it didnt work, and we basically have the same team barring a few newbies. I don't know what we are planning for this year.. i don't expect to get near the finals but that might be because we are in a waiting pattern to get Lynch... (very dangerous ploy if its true).
I can even cop a bad year if we spend the year experimenting because we have wasted 6. I do not think thats Buckleys style though.

If you look at our disposal and I50 numbers in 2017, they were good. It was disposal that let us down; hence the focus on skills which it seems unfortunately is not coming to fruition.

If we clean up our disposal then the possession game plan stacks up, I'd argue it's highly unlikely the club is banking on Lynch to be the saviour hence the "experiment" of moving Reid forward.

I'm nailing our misfortune mostly on skills, yes the list is unbalanced but not overly so. Hell another uneven list just won the last flag.

C'mon lads get your skills up!

If you look at our disposal and I50 numbers in 2017, they were good. It was disposal that let us down; hence the focus on skills which it seems unfortunately is not coming to fruition.

If we clean up our disposal then the possession game plan stacks up, I'd argue it's highly unlikely the club is banking on Lynch to be the saviour hence the "experiment" of moving Reid forward.

I'm nailing our misfortune mostly on skills, yes the list is unbalanced but not overly so. Hell another uneven list just won the last flag.

C'mon lads get your skills up!
We got killed on the rebound, just looking at disposal stats doesn't tell the whole story. We had a forward line that let the ball out very easily.

We move our more skilled players more in the action and away from where turnovers kill we and use our lesser skilled and bad decision makers in places where the errors don't hurt as much and we might have a team designed that works better

I would have Wells and WHE on the wings (but more running off the half back line). I would have a core centre line of Pendles De Goey Trealor and Aish (dont laugh thats where he needs to play) and i would play Sidebottom through the forward line and Adams as a deep forward because he can kick a goal and he has the tenacious defensive skills we desperately need down forward. I would not play Fasolo except for depth.. He is a one way player and he might kick 50 goals but he causes 20 goals to the opposition as the ball runs away from him too easily. I like the idea of Goldy down forward for the same reason as Adams... we need to keep the ball in.. that negates the poor skills.
I

I would have Wells and WHE on the wings (but more running off the half back line). I would have a core centre line of Pendles De Goey Trealor and Aish (dont laugh thats where he needs to play) and i would play Sidebottom through the forward line and Adams as a deep forward because he can kick a goal and he has the tenacious defensive skills we desperately need down forward. I would not play Fasolo except for depth.. He is a one way player and he might kick 50 goals but he causes 20 goals to the opposition as the ball runs away from him too easily. I like the idea of Goldy down forward for the same reason as Adams... we need to keep the ball in.. that negates the poor skills.

Apart from Adams and Goldy I'd argue that's the intent from the coaches box, when it came off this is how it looks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back