Aug 26, 2009
Yarra Bend
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Monday 30th November
Sunny 24 at 9:30

The headline from training today would have to be Sidebottom Loses his Crown. We’d discussed the possibility of this happening as we negotiated Hoddle Street this morning. There was plenty of time for the discussion, as it took 45 minutes to travel from Clifton Hill to The Glasshouse. My partner in crime and a Collingwood fanatic, suggested one of the 4-year players would beat Sidey this year. It should happen we agreed. Sooner or later somebody else should step up. With all the wonderful athletes in the squad, surely it would be soon. We didn’t have to wait long!

On arrival, the Collingwood precinct looked an absolute picture. What a sensational base we now have. No wonder the young recruits want to play with the Pies.

We went straight into the Glasshouse for breakfast. Surprise No.1 for the morning was the price list. Last year in the old café, bacon and eggs came in at $14. Today I had 2 poached eggs with bacon on 2 slices of sourdough for $10. Now I know a few people like Neil in Queensland will tell us that they can get that feed for less, but really folks, in metro Melbourne that price is a steal! The coffee is pretty good too. There were some Side By Side biscuits on sale too.

The players started to appear at the same time as brekkie, but no problems, I sat on a stool with the bi-fold windows open looking directly over the ground.

Players arrived on the field at 9:15. Mason Cox was the first to arrive followed by Nathan Brown, Jack Frost and the rookies. By 9:30 the players were into their stretching routine after jogging a lap. The players then moved to the AAMI side to do some up-tempo run-throughs. Jono Marsh was in the front group and won most of the time.

Then the players moved to the Glasshouse side to do the 2km time trial. As the players walked toward us, Brayden Maynard and Bayden Sier walked side by side. Maynard is a young bull, but Sier is very similar in body size and shape. The boy is only 17; what a beast he’s going to be.

The time trial started with new rookie Josh Smith taking an early lead from Sidebottom. Last year Michael Manteit impressed in the first time trail; the young rookies like to impress early.

After one lap Smith lead from Sidey and Levi Greenwood. Sidey took over the lead on the AAMI side and Smith started to fall back as the players completed the second lap. After 2 laps it’s Sidebottom from Greenwood and new draftee Tom Phillips.

On the third lap the order stays the same and as they pass us its Sidebottom from Greenwood and Phillips. At the rear it’s Cox, Grundy and Marsh.

Sidebottom does the usual acceleration on the back straight and Greenwood can’t keep up, but Phillips stays with him. The small band of observers expect Sidebottom to pull away, as Phillips looks to be making no headway, but on the turn at the top of the staight, Phillips accelerates and it’s Sidebottom who can’t respond. Sidebottom hands over the crown after quite a few years to new draft pick Tom Phillips.

Times:
1. Tom Phillips 6:05
2. Sidebottom 6:07
3. Greenwood 6:18
4. Josh Smith 6:22

5. DeGoey 6:23 ”
6. Aish ”
7. Macaffer ”
8. Crisp ”

9. Gold 6:32
10. Elliott 6:35
11. Crocker 6:38
12. Reid 6:42
13. Fasolo 6:43
14. Brown 6:44
15. Goodyear 6:45
16. Broomhead 6:46
17. Langdon 6:50
18. Varcoe 6:52
19. Maynard 6:54
Witts ”
20. Gault 7:01
21. Darrean Wyatt
22. Mason Cox 7:06
23. Grundy 7:19
24. Sier: 7:24
Marsh: 7:30

Did not participate:
Pendles, Moore, Cloke, Sinclair, White, Howe, Blair, Toovey, Swan, Frost, Oxley, Treloar

A group of rehab players (Frost, Sinclair, White, Swan, Goldy and Blair), did handball drills in front of the Glasshouse.

The main group did a warm down and then moved across to the AAMI side where they worked in groups doing handball drills in close-knit groups of four; kind of a criss-cross pattern involving close in movement.

Next the players moved further apart and did kicking drills on the run.

Now we have two groups working from stoppages to move to the Olympic Boulevard end to shoot for goal. Hard to keep up here but accuracy was not impressive. I only saw two players kick goals; one was Pendles and the other I couldn’t pick. Cloke hit the post but did kick one on his second attempt.

Players were then called into the middle for a strategy chat from Bucks and then moved into 3 groups. Two did a handball keepings off drill in teams of pink and black on the AAMI side, whilst another group did kicking/defending drills at the Yarra end.

The Rehab group have now broken into two groups; one runs very leisurely laps (Swan, Blair, Sinclair, Frost) and the other does sprints (Toovey, Treloar, White, Howe.)

Various stoppage drills followed with two teams moving the ball from contested stoppages, moving the ball to the forward line.

Aish and Varcoe work together beautifully off half back. Very smooth these two.

Haven’t seen Sier hit a target yet; the ball lands at the feet of his teammates on a few occasions, but I’ll cut him plenty of slack because he looks absolutely buggered.

The Rookies and rehab players depart upstairs for a meeting with Bill Davoren. Oxley appears with ice on his knee.

After the meeting Smith and Phillips appear carrying plenty of ice on their legs. My off-sider had noted Smith pull up sore earlier and now he appears with his right hamstring iced. He appears to be favouring the leg too. Maybe he went too hard in the time trial. Tom Phillips has both calves iced.

Welcome to Collingwood you new recruits. If you get any preseason work in at all, you'll be bucking a depressing trend!

Last drill is a match simulation. Marsh plays full back at one end, with Brown and Reid deep back at the other.

At one stage Bucks and Harvey stop the players to clarify the ball movement. Harvey is audible enough to hear until two teenage girls start chatting about hot boys on some dating site; probably here to get autographs.

Aish is a ball magnet. He just keeps getting it across half back and uses his right foot to deliver pretty well perfectly every time.

Sier is on a wing beside Broomhead at first but can’t keep up. Later he stands Cloke and Crocker stands with Broomhead.

Now the drill is stopped and Harvey is asking players to raise their hands; these are the black team attacking players. He is asking for a change of structure I think. Structure through the middle is good but he wants them to look to Reid. Now Bucks joins in. Wish I could hear it all. Bucks wants quicker movement into the forward line.

Player Watch:
Brayden Sier
As I observed earlier, Sier is almost exactly the same size and build as Maynard, but this is where the similarities end. Sier is a big, smooth-moving Rolls Royce of a footballer. With the ball in his hands he reminds me of a cross between Dangerfield and Bontimpelli. What an initiation though! A time trial and then some match play. He stood doubled over a bit towards the end. If he didn’t know before, he now knows how much work he needs to do. It’s understandable that he is a long way behind our other draftees and Rookies; this guy played only two A Grade games last year. His fitness levels would be a long way behind, but at 17, he has plenty of time. Memo Dave The Man: you’re going to fall in love all over again with Sier Dave which is bad news for the rest of us at Nick's.

James Aish
Quicksilver, polish, smooth as silk, these are the expressions that spring to mind watching this boy on the track today. Wasn’t playing man on man in the match-play (nobody was actually) but he just kept getting the ball and he used it beautifully every single time.

I was told (unofficially), that training will be on Wednesday and Friday from now until the Christmas break.

Great write up... Thanks for that.. Looks like Grundy has a couple of new partners at the back of the pack in marsh and sier

Fitness will catch up, sounds like albeit only 1 training session we may have someone to keep an eye on.. I'm excited by this kid..

Also from the looks of the photos Sier has a bit of work to do on his physique. Not much definition and a bit of puppy fat, but you can tell from his build that once he puts in the work he'll really harden into a beastly rig.

Great write up mate! I went past the Holden Centre for the first time in a long time the other day, looks absolutely stunning. Right in the AFL heartland, right near the mighty MCG. Amazing.

Siers got a long way to go anyway only 17. He will be right in a couple of months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the best training reports i've seen for some time so thanks very much Mazzarjo

Regarding Aish, I've been saying it for a long time but this kid is class. Wipe last season from his record, he is a class above what he delivered last season. I can see a thread starting mid 2016 season on the Brisbane board titled "Was Aish taking the piss out of us in 2015 on purpose". The answer my friends is blowing in the wind!!

Time to get excited.

Last edited:
One of the best training reports i've seen for some time so thanks very much Mazzarjo

Regarding Aish, I've been saying it for a long time but this kid is class. Wipe last season from his record, he is a class above what he delivered last season. I can see a thread starting mid 2016 season on the Brisbane board titled "Was Aish taking the piss out of us in 2015 on purpose". The answer my friends is blowing in the wind!!

Time to get excited.

I think some Lions already think maybe Aish Tanked the 2015 Season so make it Easier to Join Collingwood;)

Anyone seen the rumour that Crisp and Aish fought in the back because Aish beat Crispy?

To be fair to Sidebottom ...

... If you've been the club time trial champion for around 250 years (give or take)...

... And some freshly minted draft pick manages to stay on your shoulder the whole way ...

... You'd let him win, wouldn't you? Take nothing away from Philips of course.

Anyone seen the rumour that Crisp and Aish fought in the back because Aish beat Crispy?

Given Crisp is carrying about 10kg's on Aish, he did amazingly well to finish anywhere near him :p

Great Report Mazzarjo. Crap day at work for me today but its a joy to come home and have such an excellent read sitting here waiting for me.
Exciting times indeed. Can't wait until this young bull Sier has the tank to keep up. Great to hear Aish is doing well. Hopefully its another case of the Jared Polec's, with us being the beneficiary

Please keep this coming, pity Pies with all their so called Media setup, we can't get a 5 mins highlight package with some sort of narrative in this modern age of need! Yes yes I know, get a life, well this is my life ( Christ am I arguing with myself now?)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also from the looks of the photos Sier has a bit of work to do on his physique. Not much definition and a bit of puppy fat, but you can tell from his build that once he puts in the work he'll really harden into a beastly rig.

Watchu talkin bout Willis?

Regarding Aish, I've been saying it for a long time but this kid is class. Wipe last season from his record, he is a class above what he delivered last season. I can see a thread starting mid 2016 season on the Brisbane board titled "Was Aish taking the piss out of us in 2016 on purpose". The answer my friends is blowing in the wind!!

Time to get excited.
The tears will be delicious, not only from the Lions fans, but from all the tool bags on the main board, and trades & drafts board who have been saying how crap and overrated Aish is.

I can't wait for the kid to rip the competition apart next year!

Thanks for the superb write-up, makes me wish I was there. Also pleased to hear De Goey's time (all the 2km times? We're getting spoilt!) and that Aisho is hitting everyone on the ****.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back