Training Training Report No.2 (2015-16)

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair to Sidebottom ...

... If you've been the club time trial champion for around 250 years (give or take)...

... And some freshly minted draft pick manages to stay on your shoulder the whole way ...

... You'd let him win, wouldn't you? Take nothing away from Philips of course.

I wouldn't.

Great report to hear

Any reason why Marsh was so slow in the time trial?
Running a quick 2k is an incredibly hard task. You need to be an incredibly gifted aerobic and anaerobic athlete. I would take a stab that marsh is not much of an aerobic athlete at all

Is Sier your new Grundy TG?
Speaking of Grundy, that seems like a terrible time for a someone who's been interested system for 4? Years now? Is this his fifth pre season? I'd love to know what time expectation the club has for him to reach.

Considering rucks like Goldstein, blicavs, Smith, nic Nat, Ryder, lobbe I'm tipping would be running mid 6es he really needs to work on his running capacity. Especially considering he doesn't currently perform like a monster ruck

Speaking of Grundy, that seems like a terrible time for a someone who's been interested system for 4? Years now? Is this his fifth pre season? I'd love to know what time expectation the club has for him to reach.

Considering rucks like Goldstein, blicavs, Smith, nic Nat, Ryder, lobbe I'm tipping would be running mid 6es he really needs to work on his running capacity. Especially considering he doesn't currently perform like a monster ruck

Don't think effect him when Playing

Pretty sure Blicavs would be very upset to be described as someone who would run mid 6es. Pretty sure he runs the 2K in well under 6 minutes.

Good point, his tank doesn't seem to be improving, constantly at the back of the pack every race.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure Blicavs would be very upset to be described as someone who would run mid 6es. Pretty sure he runs the 2K in well under 6 minutes.

No, get out of here! Under 6? That's unreal.
I wish there was a list of all the times from all clubs. Under 6? That's ridiculous.
3 minute K's. Did a few calculations and that's equivalent to traveling 5meters per second.

Why are we comparing Blicavs to Grundy? Apart from their heights and the fact they both play ruck, it's Apples and Oranges. Blicavs is an Olympic quality long distance runner, Grundy is not. It's unreasonable to expect Brodie will be running 6 minute time trials.

Though interesting he was winning the Short Sprints before the 2km Time Trial
Great to hear he's winning short sprints, the hamstring would have healed then.

In terms of coming back, it'd be more a case of not having the miles in his legs.

You lose aerobic capacity pretty quickly if you're training drops off. Marsh would have missed weeks and also had his workloads managed at a reduced level, which I suspect would be in terms of both volume and pace.

A loss of aerobic capacity affects distance running times more than sprinting. It takes a while to re-build that lost condition so even if he's now doing full training his times maybe down.

Slow in the run yet blitzed everyone on the 22k bike ride while at falls creek. If we can put him on a bike while playing the world is his oyster.

Did you lose your s**t the other way when Brodie smashed all comers in the bike ride at Falls Creek?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-18/uphill-battle-sorts-magpie-men-from-boys

Fact is that some people are predisposed to being better at some tasks than others. You find that the more whippety 'slight of frame mids' win this arbitrary run almost invariably. It's encouraging that Greenwood was so close as a nuggety 6'er, and that De Goey performed well.

I wouldn't overestimate the returns of Goldstein, Naitanui, Smith, Jacobs, Sandipants, Maric, Mumford and most other decent rucks. Can't imagine there are too many of these blokes cracking the 7 minute barrier (let alone smacking it). Witts being sub-7 is a very good result for a giant.

Biclavs is an interesting entity, but a full time ruck he is not and will never be. Apples with apples...

As it stands, it's an arbitrary measure that has little relevance to the stop-start nature of AFL footy. You would literally have to run the length of the MCG up and down 11.5 times without any sort of break, which is obviously ridiculous. Whilst it does generally show a strength of the player, and is a good year to year check measure, it shouldn't be held in much more regard than the bloke with the current bench press record.

Much appreciated. Great seeing or reading actually, lol, that Reid is up and running well

A football team can never have enough athletes o_O

Grundy should receive 10 lashes for his effort maybe then he will pick up the pace!

Did you lose your s**t the other way when Brodie smashed all comers in the bike ride at Falls Creek?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-18/uphill-battle-sorts-magpie-men-from-boys

Fact is that some people are predisposed to being better at some tasks than others. You find that the more whippety 'slight of frame mids' win this arbitrary run almost invariably. It's encouraging that Greenwood was so close as a nuggety 6'er, and that De Goey performed well.

I wouldn't overestimate the returns of Goldstein, Naitanui, Smith, Jacobs, Sandipants, Maric, Mumford and most other decent rucks. Can't imagine there are too many of these blokes cracking the 7 minute barrier (let alone smacking it). Witts being sub-7 is a very good result for a giant.

Biclavs is an interesting entity, but a full time ruck he is not and will never be. Apples with apples...

As it stands, it's an arbitrary measure that has little relevance to the stop-start nature of AFL footy. You would literally have to run the length of the MCG up and down 11.5 times without any sort of break, which is obviously ridiculous. Whilst it does generally show a strength of the player, and is a good year to year check measure, it shouldn't be held in much more regard than the bloke with the current bench press record.
That would be a fantastic result if football was played on bikes that required riding on dirt tracks up and down Hills. I do however agree with you that the 2k is a poor reflection for a test for AFL football, however it is currently the best one we have and therefore must be given real consideration

Fact of the matter remains Grundy gets beaten around the ground and his running capacity seems to have almost no to little improvement in 5 years so he can't run with the athletic rucks around the league. Yet he is deemed as one, also he doesn't show signs of being a physical monster you could handle him losing around the ground if he dominated hit outs, but unlike Jacobs, Sandi, Mumford who would have similar running ability (probably Carrying an extra 10 kegs) he struggles to break even in direct competition.

Add in his ability to take contested grabs around the ground and marks in general I think he's going to want to come on leaps and bounds next year to what we saw this year if he's going to get anywhere near the potential he had when he was drafted.

Not saying he's going to be a bad player, but he had huge wraps when drafted, and he doesn't even look close to making those claims true at this present stage. Hell, I'd even say he hasn't even cemented his spot as the number 1 at our club. Yet.

Last edited:
Tks, a great read.
When mentioning unofficial training on Wed & Fri...does that mean no more Monday sessions?
I'm heading down in a couple weeks & want to catch a session or two.
Rgds

MyManLynch, I meant training will be Mondays, Wednesday and Fridays according to the experienced track watchers yesterday. The Club has been noticeably reticent to publish training details this pre-season. I took a punt yesterday and got it right, but seriously, a club with such a well staffed media department should do better at these little details. Don't forget to enjoy brekfast before training; the cafe opens at 8am.

Thanks so much, Neil.
I love the attention to detail with the 2-K times and all.
These reports are prize reading for the likes of me that are far away.
You're very welcome. I'm lucky I can get to training and I started these for two Collingwood fanatics who live in Kuwait (hello Ross and Sandra) and are desperate for preseason stuff. I'll do as many of these as I can but I'm no footy tactician; I'm sure there are some people reading this who could do a far better analysis. I just report what I see, but sometimes you can't help but get a little carried away. Aish and Greenwood did it yesterday - so much upside here.

That would be a fantastic result if football was played on bikes that required riding on dirt tracks up and down Hills.
The locals don't call it 'The Grind' because you catch a ski lift up and ride down the hill. It is a result that shows how much Grundy can push himself.

Also, as I pointed out, the 2km time trail is not reflective of match conditions and more than a gut wrenching bike ride. You need run flat knacker for 6-7 minutes...just doesn't happen!

Fact of the matter remains Grundy gets beaten around the ground and his aerobic capacity seems to have almost no to little improvement in 5 years so he can't run with the athletic rucks around the league. Yet he is deemed as one, also he doesn't show signs of being a physical monster you could handle him losing around the ground if he dominated hit outs, but unlike Jacobs, Sandi, Mumford who would have similar running ability (probably Carrying an extra 10 kegs) he struggles to break even in direct competition.
Hold your horses there; "Grundy gets beaten around the ground and his aerobic capacity seems to have almost no to little improvement in 5 years"? Firstly, he's been with us three years and is about day 11 into his 4th pre-season (with the first one being interrupted by a back injury).

With regards to "get's "beaten around the ground", by every statistical measure he improved last year, in possessions, marks, hitouts, scores and tackles (on the whole and on average).

For argument's sake, which ruck has the superior average numbers?

Player X: Poss - 15.4, Mark - 3.5, HitOut - 24.3, Tack - 4.5, Goal - 0.4
Player Y: Poss - 12.6, Mark - 5, HitOut - 22.3, Tack - 2.2, Goal - 0.9

Add in his ability to take contested grabs around the ground and marks in general I think he's going to want to come on leaps and bounds next year to what we saw this year if he's going to get anywhere near the potential he had when he was drafted.

Not saying he's going to be a bad player, but he had huge wraps when drafted, and he doesn't even look close to making those claims true at this present stage. Hell, I'd even say he hasn't even cemented his spot as the number 1 at our club. Yet.
I agree that he needs to take more marks and get his running ability up as high as it can be for his body type, but he's clearly our #1 ruck and he's tracking beautifully at the minute for a ruckman entering his 4th year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back