Aug 26, 2009
Yarra Bend
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Wednesday Open Training

Weather: Fine and mild 21

Punt Rd was such a disaster area at 7:30 that I couldn’t even get onto the Clifton Hill down-ramp. We decided to drive via Smith St and then to Landsdowne St and around the MCG. This was a smart move. We arrived at the Collingwood Centre at 8:00am and could have opted to park out front. As it’s a 15 minute zone, decided to be conservative and parked by the river instead.

Inside the Glasshouse Eatery (why couldn't they just call it the Glasshouse Cafe?), we joined Ben Reid and Tay Adams who were ordering coffee and Derek Hine and Neil Balme who were having breakfast.

It was a very leisurely breakfast as the first player to appear on the track was Jeremy Howe at 9:35. He was joined by new boy Josh Smith, who began running work with a trainer. I like this boy’s attitude. He led the time trial last week and is always early onto the track. A good attitude can take a young footballer far.

You may remember that I suggested he had tweaked his hammy last week and this appears to be correct. But it’s just a tweak. He was put through his paces by the trainer and after 20 minutes of 50 metre jogs, then runs and then sprints, he joined the main group of players.

Not Training:

Darcy Moore, •Levi Greenwood, Jackson Ramsay, Matt Sharenberg

Modified Training:

Treloar, Swan, Sinclair, Blair, Reid, Marsh, Frost, Goldsack.

Swan, Sinclair, Blair, Reid and Marsh all began the session. They all did general stretching and then ran/jogged a few laps with the main group.

Goldsack appeared at about 10:30 and ran laps.

•Greenwood left the track early and re-emerged about an hour later with Darcy Moore. They walked laps. It seems Greenwood did something early on in the session, but I couldn’t tell what the injury was.

Swan, Sinclair and Blair left the track after the warm ups and went inside.

Reid and Marsh did some ball work and running drills and then retreated to the AAMI side of the ground with a trainer, where they did supervised running. Later Josh Smith joined them.

Players were called over to be introduced to a group of men and a woman. All the players enthusiastically applauded these people who I’m guessing are sponsors.

Players then walk/jog a lap whilst Bucks talks to the unknown group. Bucks then recognizes a bloke on the fence and comes over to have a chat. I try not to look too obvious as I shuffle closer, but Bucks is a very careful ‘low talker’. I did hear him say that there was a young lad training from the Canberra IOS. We’d wondered who this shorter version of Lachie Keeffe was. The boy did very well actually.

Frost appears to be developing a Mohawk-style hair cut. There is a wide strip across the top of his head to about half way to his neck, where it squares off. I asked a photographer to zoom in to verify this and yes, he agreed. It’s the first interesting cut of the summer as Adam Treloar has gone very conservative and Darcy Moore and Broomhead are sporting short cuts.

Applause breaks out from supporters near the entrance door at about 10 am. Matty Sharenberg appears on crutches with an intricately bandaged right knee. Matty watches the entire session with a minder.

Nice to see Clinton Young make an appearance too. He observed training for a while and spoke with staff. I wonder if he’ll play VFL? Can anybody offer up any info here?

In the early drills, which feature running and ball carrying with quick changes of direction, Sidebottom stands out.

Players then broke up into 4 groups around the ground. The drill here is a ‘keepings off’ type activity, where Team Black players kick to each other, as Team White tries to win possession.

I paid close attention here to new boys Ben Crocker and Brayden Sier. It seems these boys can both kick very well indeed. More on that later.

At this point James Aish removes himself from the drill and comes over to the boundary for treatment on the lower body/upper leg region. Lots of conversation ensues with plenty of stretching and probing. Aish then changes from his boots into his trainers and spends the next 20 minutes talking to Matty Sharenberg. It could be a groin injury or some upper leg problem, but it I doubt it’s a major.

Now two groups are formed. One is led by Matt Rendell and the other by Anthony Rocca. In both groups the ball is kicked high to competing ruckmen who try to get the ball to their respective rovers. Group 1 sees Grundy Vs Wyatt, the new rookie basketballer. Grundy works it to Tay Adams. Wyatt tries to get it to crisp. Grundy wins most of these duals. There is some very clean movement into the forward line from these drills. Sidebottom seems to have the ball on a string this morning. None of those trade-mark dinky kicks today. He’s hitting Faz on the chest every time.

At the other end, Group 2 sees Witts vs Corey Gault. I really like what I’ve seen of Witts this pre-season. He’s very involved and moving very well. Grundy on the other hand seems to be a bit lack-lustre and slow.

Pendlebury leaves the main action now and moves over to the AAMI side to do running drills with Reid.

A man beside me observes that De Goey must have had a late night; he’s yawning his way through training he says.

Nice work now by Grundy who finds Macaffer to Crisp who hits Faz on the chest. Faz shoots for goal and nails it. That was a beautiful piece of work all round. Faz loves training today; he leads and receives it lace out each time. I notice Varcoe go over to Sier and explain where to run during this drill. It seems Varcoe has said, “Stay with me.” Sier does. Who is the smoothest mover in this duo? Wow, Sier is a beautiful mover.

Now the players break into four groups. They eventually rotate through 4 activities. I will report on two. At the Yarra end a group of players do goal kicking. They start on the Glasshouse side and move inboard and eventually arrive at the pocket on the AAMI side. Two players stand out in this drill; both are newbies. Tom Phillips and Ben Crocker are enjoying themselves immensely. Crocker loves a goal and kicked plenty. A smooth mover, this boy is a nice user of the ball and loves getting a shot! I found him with fists raised over his head a number of times as he celebrated a goal. Look out Faz!

Tom Phillips is also an eye catcher. He is beautifully balanced with ball in hand and kicks goals from all angles in this drill.

Another drill had me fascinated. This activity saw two squares created from 4 small witches cones. The mini-cones were orange, green, yellow and blue. A player stood in the centre of each small square facing a coach. The coach then called colours and the players had to move to the cone called and step around it and then to the next cone. It required nimble footwork and then a turn to kick the ball at a standing net target. Would anybody hit the target? Not in the first group for a while! Crisp and Sidey stand side by side, but both miss.

Now Sier and Crisp get a turn. No dice. Varcoe & Goodyear both miss by miles. Bullseye! Macaffer! Now Varcoe gets a bullseye. Crisp follows suit. Now Crisp again! Brayden Sier, the baby in this group, hits the edge and whilst he doesn’t net the ball, was never far off.

I love this drill because it simulates match conditions where players need to dodge opponents with agility and then turn on a sixpence, steady and deliver with accuracy.

Now the groups rotate and a new group arrives at the cones. This will be interesting, Crocker is opposed to Phillips. Crocker gets the bullseye. Now the come back and Crocker does it again. Can he get a hat trick? No, he misses narrowly , but I’m impressed enough to declare him the winner in this drill.

I had to leave at this stage (11:15), but don’t think any match work would have been done after this time, but I stand to be corrected. Went in to the offices to renew my membership. Liked the new Anzac Deal; a seat on Anzac Day and two other home game general admissions for $140. Was disappointed to learn that seating was on level four. Still, for someone who works weekends as I do, this might be persuasive.

Injuries:

Levi Greenwood – unknown. Severity slight.

James Aish – Groin? Severity slight.

Player Watch: Ben Crocker
Whippet like physique. Very enthusiastic trainer. Loves a goal and is an accurate user. Another fine mover. It’s almost as if our recruiters have gone out and looked for beautifully balanced, accurate kicking young athletes. Love his enthusiasm and suspect this will carry over to leadership potential.

Player Watch: Brayden Sier.
If training were a yearling auction, you’d buy this colt. Can’t help it folks, there’s just so much to like. Once he looses the puppy fat and develops that engine, this is going to be a player you love to watch. All the mechanics are there. Can he play? Dunno. I guess we’ll get a better idea after Christmas when full scale match training begins.

Player Watch: Tom Phillips. Hard worker on the track and aggressive at the ball. A smooth mover and from what I saw, an accurate kick. Loves the snap over the shoulder a la Fasolo. There’s also a bit of flash about him. Good hands too. Suspect he will surprise by doing the unexpected.

Player Watch: Rupert Wills. Worked hard today and seems to be a popular team member. Every time he got the ball there were screams of “Rupe, Rupe, Rupe.” He’s not a Rolls Royce like Sier or slick like Crocker and Phillips, but he looks a steady, solid, unfussed type. Didn’t waste it. Now if he can develop our midfield will be Land of the Collingwood Giants.

More Training on Friday. I assume Monday Wednesday and Friday next week, but I heard a track watcher yesterday say only Monday and Friday next week. Luke Mason can you confirm please?

Before reading your posts I would never have thought that a training report could be so riveting. You've got a gift; thanks for sharing it.

As for me, Crisp hitting the mark again and again was the highlight of this morning's report. Loved it.

Thanks for the report.

Clinton Young is going back to his old football club, can't remember the name, will not play VFL.

Hope the injuries are precautionary. :)

Minyip-Murtoa.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Before reading your posts I would never have thought that a training report could be so riveting. You've got a gift; thanks for sharing it.

I think it's his use of the present tense is one thing that makes a difference.

Compare the two paragraphs below. The first one is Neil's account verbatim in present tense, the second is written in past tense (as most folks would write). Neil's present tense is more engaging IMHO ... Makes the reader feel that they're there.

"Now the groups rotate and a new group arrives at the cones. This will be interesting, Crocker is opposed to Phillips. Crocker gets the bullseye. Now the come back and Crocker does it again. Can he get a hat trick? No, he misses narrowly , but I’m impressed enough to declare him the winner in this drill."

"Then the groups rotated and a new group arrived at the cones. It was interesting, Crocker was opposed to Phillips. Crocker got the bullseye. Then they went back and Crocker did it again. Did he get a hat trick? No, he missed narrowly , but I was impressed enough to declare him the winner in the drill."

Last edited:
I think it's his use of the present tence is one thing that makes a difference.

Compare the two paragraphs below. The first one is Neil's account verbatim in present tense, the second is written in past tense (as most folks would write). Neil's present tense is more engaging IMHO ... Makes the reader feel that they're there.

"Now the groups rotate and a new group arrives at the cones. This will be interesting, Crocker is opposed to Phillips. Crocker gets the bullseye. Now the come back and Crocker does it again. Can he get a hat trick? No, he misses narrowly , but I’m impressed enough to declare him the winner in this drill."

"Then the groups rotated and a new group arrived at the cones. It was interesting, Crocker was opposed to Phillips. Crocker got the bullseye. Then they went back and Crocker did it again. Did he get a hat trick? No, he missed narrowly , but I was impressed enough to declare him the winner in the drill."

Hey, don't deconsctruct the magic. It's just magic!

Thanks for the report.

Clinton Young is going back to his old football club, can't remember the name, will not play VFL.

Hope the injuries are precautionary. :)

Minyip. He is living in Gissy and at the moment trains with our superules side who his brother plays for.

I know he was a bit of a whipping boy on this site but he is a really nice bloke. Very down to earth and comes from a great family.

Minyip. He is living in Gissy and at the moment trains with our superules side who his brother plays for.

I know he was a bit of a whipping boy on this site but he is a really nice bloke. Very down to earth and comes from a great family.
He's a whipping boy for some on here, luckily that has no bearing on his standing at the club. I am sure he is very well respected.

I think it's his use of the present tence is one thing that makes a difference.

Yes there is something about the tense.
The great Grundy if he is lurking in these parts, often will comment on styles off writing.

And he will always be a premiership player, now that's some special achievement.

Great report as well these training reports

He was a whipping boy but I don't think anyone every questioned his character as a person. Was more about his game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back