Mega Thread Training Reports Season Proper

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry about the bump, but just wanted to say a massive thankyou to anyone who contributed a training report this year.
Despite being occasionally derailed (understatement) this thread helped keep us outside of perth up to date with how players were tracking with form or injury, and for the most part kept us sane during pre-season.

Thanks for bringing great effort and I hope to hear from you again in a few months time, cheers guys

Sorry about the bump, but just wanted to say a massive thankyou to anyone who contributed a training report this year.
Despite being occasionally derailed (understatement) this thread helped keep us outside of perth up to date with how players were tracking with form or injury, and for the most part kept us sane during pre-season.

Thanks for bringing great effort and I hope to hear from you again in a few months time, cheers guys
Seconded. Seriously the people who get down there and provide detailed reports are the shining light in an otherwise bleak off season for mine. Looking forward to the reports starting up again toward years end. Kudos

Not really related to training ,but I spotted Mora at the winthrope shopping centre last week and he was limping very heavily,has he ungone the knife ???

A question for the regular training watchers.

How often did the boys practice kicking at goal this season? I only went down to 3-4 training sessions this season so I might have just missed it but I never saw any serious goal kicking practice.

I would hope that they were practicing different shots from different angles while the coaches correct techniques but I never saw this.

A question for the regular training watchers.

How often did the boys practice kicking at goal this season? I only went down to 3-4 training sessions this season so I might have just missed it but I never saw any serious goal kicking practice.

I would hope that they were practicing different shots from different angles while the coaches correct techniques but I never saw this.

Mainly just at the end of the sessions and they will have some shots when they have a drinks break. Actual hands on goal kicking coaching I have not seen at training but they may do that on other days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mainly just at the end of the sessions and they will have some shots when they have a drinks break. Actual hands on goal kicking coaching I have not seen at training but they may do that on other days.
Thanks Gaskin.

Scary really. Barring wind set shots inside 50m are a constant. Nothing changes but the wind so if you're technique is perfect you should be scoring more than you are missing. Technique should be drilled into the players over and over until they can't miss even if they tried.

Well that sucks.

It's pretty much standard form around the league that goal kicking is not done as a formal part of training. It's largely left to individual players or slotted in as a bit of a 'side thing' here and there.

Partly it's a time management thing (more important to work on overall fitness and team structures/game plan etc. and skills that are more universal to the game (congested play drills, running patterns etc.)). The other issue is that sports scientist types are very cautious of putting players through rigorous kicking drills, especially when fatigued from hard training and/or during mid season rigours due to the stress it puts on already tired legs.

The other issue that comes to mind is we have is that Sumich is our fwds coach - as good as he was, I'm not sure I'd want him being our kicking coach. The guy had a strange technique that worked out for him alright, but it would make Buddy's hooking/swinging ball trajectory look like a laser shot in comparison.

The other issue that comes to mind is we have is that Sumich is our fwds coach - as good as he was, I'm not sure I'd want him being our kicking coach. The guy had a strange technique that worked out for him alright, but it would make Buddy's hooking/swinging ball trajectory look like a laser shot in comparison.
This is the issue I have with our kicking as well. I'm sure Sumich is a great coach in some ways, but he was always a weird kick and a weird forward. And I really think our forwards are suffering for it.

Pav's gone from the kind of guy that could kick a goal through a pinhole from 60 out to consistently missing easy shots.
Mayne's gone from the most accurate kick in the league to the guy you cringe when he goes for goal.
And Ballas is very hit & miss.

I'd like to see us take a look at our coaching staff and bring in a new forwards coach.

This is the issue I have with our kicking as well. I'm sure Sumich is a great coach in some ways, but he was always a weird kick and a weird forward. And I really think our forwards are suffering for it.

Pav's gone from the kind of guy that could kick a goal through a pinhole from 60 out to consistently missing easy shots.
Mayne's gone from the most accurate kick in the league to the guy you cringe when he goes for goal.
And Ballas is very hit & miss.

I'd like to see us take a look at our coaching staff and bring in a new forwards coach.

Do you really think Sumich gives Pavlich kicking lessons?

The biggest issue for me is that a number of our players who are very decent kicks seem nervous/reluctant in front of goals and could be more productive; Hill, Mundy, D Pearce, Mayne especially.

I think Mayne's preseason setback meant he spent more time in rehab and catch up recovery than the year before so he didn't have the time to be putting in the extra set shot work.

Hope he has a great pre-season this year. If he doesn't find the goals next year then I worry about him. Terrific player, but we need more goals, and we need defenders to be worried about all our forwards.

I think Mayne's preseason setback meant he spent more time in rehab and catch up recovery than the year before so he didn't have the time to be putting in the extra set shot work.
The issue was actually getting the ball as frequently as he did in 2013 not the set shot per say.

I'm sure someone smarter than me will be able to explain it better but the difference between training and match kicking is not JUST ( GF. ) being nervous for most player. Our style of play means our forwards run more than other teams. Lactic acid and all the sports science stuff.

pretty sure the boys get 6weeks minimum away from the club,restart pre season sometime in November

I saw someone doing laps when we went by Freo on Monday morning. I couldn't say for sure but I thought it may have been Tanner Smith (he had a bit of a beard going, so he didn't look like what I remembered).

I saw someone doing laps when we went by Freo on Monday morning. I couldn't say for sure but I thought it may have been Tanner Smith (he had a bit of a beard going, so he didn't look like what I remembered).

This is what I want to hear more of - our 3rd tier players doing over and above to get themselves up for a shot next year. I really don't expect us to land any big fish this off season - would actually love to see a depth list player come up to be in the 22

Hope he has a great pre-season this year. If he doesn't find the goals next year then I worry about him. Terrific player, but we need more goals, and we need defenders to be worried about all our forwards.

I am sure with a good pre-season he will kick more goals than last year, but if we find other key forwards so be it, Mayne will still remain a valuable player in whatever position they place him (even backline). You just have to use a player that brings that sort of pressure.

Personally I think it would be a sad day if Ballas and Mayne are not in the same area of the ground hunting their prey together.

Do you really think Sumich gives Pavlich kicking lessons?
If your star forward has lost confidence in kicking goals, then yes I do. It's Sumich's job after all. Back in my training watcher days I remember Pav would practice taking set shots at different angles using the 50m line as his mark. He'd slot every single one of them too.

You can have all the defensive pressure & the fittest players in the world, but as we've seen this year you need to be able to kick a goal to win a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back