Review Training standards / skills and fitness

Remove this Banner Ad

Training standards have to be a key focus for us in the off-season, irrespective of who comes in as senior coach.

I'm reliably informed that Jy did a block of work with Clayton Oliver during Summer and was blown away by the intensity shown by Oliver. Unsurprisingly, Jy came back in the best nick out of all of the players and continues to be our best on the track. As others have said, Ben Brown was shocked at the training standards compared to NM when he crossed to Melbourne.

When I asked my friend how do we close the gap in training standards, the response was that it comes from the leaders. None of our veterans are considered to be good trainers. Essentially, we need to bring in some 24-28yo players that have been exposed to seriously good training programs to drive the standards. If Jy get elevated to Captain in 2023 with LDU as Vice, this could seriously set the tone for what is expected. Additionally, the S&C team and coaches need to step up and start holding players to account on the track.

In terms of who is the most laconic on the track. No surprises to hear that TT and CZ get a mention. Just imagine what these two could be if they properly smashed into the pre-season and training.

Training standards have to be a key focus for us in the off-season, irrespective of who comes in as senior coach.

I'm reliably informed that Jy did a block of work with Clayton Oliver during Summer and was blown away by the intensity shown by Oliver. Unsurprisingly, Jy came back in the best nick out of all of the players and continues to be our best on the track. As others have said, Ben Brown was shocked at the training standards compared to NM when he crossed to Melbourne.

When I asked my friend how do we close the gap in training standards, the response was that it comes from the leaders. None of our veterans are considered to be good trainers. Essentially, we need to bring in some 24-28yo players that have been exposed to seriously good training programs to drive the standards. If Jy get elevated to Captain in 2023 with LDU as Vice, this could seriously set the tone for what is expected. Additionally, the S&C team and coaches need to step up and start holding players to account on the track.

In terms of who is the most laconic on the track. No surprises to hear that TT and CZ get a mention. Just imagine what these two could be if they properly smashed into the pre-season and training.

1659479414224.jpeg

Imagine if we'd had a guy with talent but also impeccable conditioning, good off-field leadership, had the cred of winning B&Fs and who did everything to get the best out of themselves. They'd have been a good interim skipper until the next batch were ready.

Nobody comes to mind though.

View attachment 1464432

Imagine if we'd had a guy with talent but also impeccable conditioning, good off-field leadership, had the cred of winning B&Fs and who did everything to get the best out of themselves. They'd have been a good interim skipper until the next batch were ready.

Nobody comes to mind though.
As one of my mentors used to say, "the future is in the headlights, not the taillights".

I'd like to see this bloke drive some training standards a bit more.

JOqScUZr0VfLe8ZuMlOhtfVaszCYolLp44yUBmr7.jpeg

This has to be our number one priority 👍

Even Dal Santo said our training was not even close to the standard at the saints

There's a reason why new recruits to the club always seem to be the fittest there.
Also why Brown took 6 months to get upto AFL standard fitness at melbourne.
You reckon?

Atu, CJ, Bonar, Corr, Walker...I'm struggling to think of one who has come in and shown up as fitter than our top 5 or so.

We have Melbourne's old footy ops manager running North's footy ops. I'm not disagreeing with anything you've posted here, but we've brought in enough people from other clubs that they should be setting a standard, I'd we're that far behind.

We have Melbourne's old footy ops manager running North's footy ops. I'm not disagreeing with anything you've posted here, but we've brought in enough people from other clubs that they should be setting a standard, I'd we're that far behind.
He's running footy ops, but we're coming from light years behind in strength and conditioning (hence why they were changed out last year). Unfortunately, you can't correct this super quickly as there are only so many weights you can lift or kilometres you can run before you start to risk significant uptick in injuries. We are miles off where we need to be at the moment.

When I asked my friend how do we close the gap in training standards, the response was that it comes from the leaders. None of our veterans are considered to be good trainers.
Really I thought our veterans cut their training teeth under the guidance of a world renowned expert. Didn't believe in training to improve skills either.

1659504775954.png

Really I thought our veterans cut their training teeth under the guidance of a world renowned expert. Didn't believe in training to improve skills either.

View attachment 1464772

What an everlasting legacy he left us as promised?

More do his best to ruin the club completely then wanders off to AFL land and not a worry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m excited to see what Clarko / Todd has in store for our boys in the preseason in regards to our fitness and gym etc

Did I read on here that north hasn’t had a proper gym / weights routine in years? I don’t believe that haha

I’m excited to see what Clarko / Todd has in store for our boys in the preseason in regards to our fitness and gym etc

Did I read on here that north hasn’t had a proper gym / weights routine in years? I don’t believe that haha
Kokoda

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dear Clarko and the coaching team,

May take you years, but enough is enough. Can we please treat our training, fitness and gym as number one priority whoever is at our club?

The preseason plan needs a change

I recall hearing a story that when Kerr, Judd and Cousins played together, once a week at training, the 3 would push eachother so hard on the track that one would end up spewing his guts up.

That’s the sort of thing our current list needs. Someone needs to come in and expose our poor fitness standards.

There need to be a commitment to work super hard in the off season. This is where the big gains are made

Yep, after their 8 week AFLPA arranged break to post selfies from Flemington and around the world.

One of the keys is the players remaining engaged and committed enough to stick to their off season fitness programmes so they hit the ground (and gym) running once back on the track.

Curtis Taylor should be doing Marine push-ups for breakfast, lunch and dinner for starters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back