Review Training standards / skills and fitness

Username checks out ;)

I agree. Plus when you see the team packing on muscle and gaining strength, the influence for you to do so is contagious. At the moment, it doesn’t feel like that’s a priority but it should come In the preseason.
I'm a literal man mountain! More of a hill actually. Mound......molehill. Ugh!

I'm a literal man mountain! More of a hill actually. Mound......molehill. Ugh!
Hbo GIF by Game of Thrones

Nov 25, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Skinny is not great but being slow is not much to write home about either.

Our fitness may be questionable but so is our athletic profiling.

Seriously, which of the following would you want sprinting for your life?

McDonald, Turner, Greenwood, Ziebell, Mahony, Anderson or Jy?

just shoot me now.

Mahony and Anderson are both faster than people credit them with here. Mahony ran under 11.5 for 100m in high school didn't he? GR posted times from a bunch of different athletic carnivals around last years draft.

And apart from Greenwood and Mahony (with is sub 11.5 100m time) all of those players were recruited before 2017. Over five years ago.

Since then LDU, Sleevo, TT, Scott, Perez, Phillips, (even Powell can move) Lazz, Spicer, JHF, Goater, Bergman even Curtis can all move quickly. Some of them are really fast.

Mahony and Anderson are both faster than people credit them with here. Mahony ran under 11.5 for 100m in high school didn't he? GR posted times from a bunch of different athletic carnivals around last years draft.

And apart from Greenwood and Mahony (with is sub 11.5 100m time) all of those players were recruited before 2017. Over five years ago.

Since then LDU, Sleevo, TT, Scott, Perez, Phillips, (even Powell can move) Lazz, Spicer, JHF, Goater, Bergman even Curtis can all move quickly. Some of them are really fast.

Not sure that is right about Mahony, unless there was a gale force wind blowing behind him.

Mahony also had a negative trait of being slow off the blocks during his draft year, and ran 3.1 in the 20m sprint, which is not fast by AFL standards. It isn't slow, but it isn't fast.

Some kid in America broke 10s in a high school sprint, but he had a +4.2s wind blowing behind him, it was still considered a very good time for high school level athletes.

Most AFL players slow down significantly after their combine results because they put on a lot of weight that doesn't help running, like a lot of upper body weight.

You can tell when players are fast, or agile. Simpkin is very agile, but he isn't that quick. We have a lot of players who aren't slow, but aren't quick either, like McDonald ran down Rioli in a final, it took ripping his hamstring off the bone, but bridged a significant gap which is more impressive than just keeping up. But in general, to be a fast AFL player requires intent, like Atley was fast in a straight line but could probably count on one hand how many run down from behinds in his career when his opponent had any kind of gap on him.

If you are more aggressive you look faster than you are, because going at 100% when someone is only going at 80% can make you look fast. The main difference with players is at what capacity they are playing at and how long they can sustain it. We don't seem like we play to our capacity, nor are we able to sustain it when they collectively choose to do so.

Nov 25, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne

More as a collective Ferby. That was the point. That group represents about a third of our team and about half of our non Ruck or key position stock from week to week. We're getting smashed on the spread and on the outside. Two or three possibly - but not 7. A huge problem.

Not sure that is right about Mahony, unless there was a gale force wind blowing behind him.

Mahony also had a negative trait of being slow off the blocks during his draft year, and ran 3.1 in the 20m sprint, which is not fast by AFL standards. It isn't slow, but it isn't fast.

Some kid in America broke 10s in a high school sprint, but he had a +4.2s wind blowing behind him, it was still considered a very good time for high school level athletes.

Most AFL players slow down significantly after their combine results because they put on a lot of weight that doesn't help running, like a lot of upper body weight.

You can tell when players are fast, or agile. Simpkin is very agile, but he isn't that quick. We have a lot of players who aren't slow, but aren't quick either, like McDonald ran down Rioli in a final, it took ripping his hamstring off the bone, but bridged a significant gap which is more impressive than just keeping up. But in general, to be a fast AFL player requires intent, like Atley was fast in a straight line but could probably count on one hand how many run down from behinds in his career when his opponent had any kind of gap on him.

If you are more aggressive you look faster than you are, because going at 100% when someone is only going at 80% can make you look fast. The main difference with players is at what capacity they are playing at and how long they can sustain it. We don't seem like we play to our capacity, nor are we able to sustain it when they collectively choose to do so.
I ran 11 second hundred by the time I was 16 or 17, a kid a few years above me ran 10.8 when he was 15, in year 11 this kid who came second in the nationals came to the school and he could run 10.6 or 10.7 and I think our school record for senior/u18 or whatever was 10.5. Those were all hand timed tho.

Half of this disappeared. tl:dr version - Anyway Mahoney's times were posted, (I think electronic timed) Will Phillips' and Finn Callaghan's as well. ... even back in the 80s there were kids in the US running around or under 10.0 for 100m. Or under 46 for 400m.

I ran 11 second hundred by the time I was 16 or 17, a kid a few years above me ran 10.8 when he was 15, in year 11 this kid who came second in the nationals came to the school and he could run 10.6 or 10.7 and I think our school record for senior/u18 or whatever was 10.5. Those were all hand timed tho.

Half of this disappeared. tl:dr version - Anyway Mahoney's times were posted, (I think electronic timed) Will Phillips' and Finn Callaghan's as well. ... even back in the 80s there were kids in the US running around or under 10.0 for 100m. Or under 46 for 400m.

Yeah, you can't take manual calculations too seriously, they can be off and they don't allow for wind if they were done outdoors, for 100m I assume they are all outdoors. Combine does 20m sprint indoors i think.

10.17 would put you into top 10 Australian Olympic sprinters of all time, I think there is a bigger difference between school boys and Olympic sprinters in their prime.

If you are getting +3-4s due to wind then those times drop from amazing to good. Massive difference between 10s and 13-14s.

Yeah, Mahony was 3.1s for 20m sprint, it isn't particularly fast by afl standards, top 10 sprint results from last year's combine went from 2.845 to 2.976.

In 2020 Logan McDonald ran the 20m sprint in 3.03 and he was 196cm and 86kg at the time. When you air it like he couldn't run down a key forward it kind of gives you perspective.

Tas 10.17 probably wouldn't even put you in the top 50 US schoolboy 100s of all time. They don't finish high school till they are 18 or older. 17 sometimes but its alot less common. They seem to finish six months to a year later than us. When I ran competitively the world 100m record had just gone from 9.95 to 9.93. These days the fastest u20 world record is 9.96. 1/100th of a second slower than the world record when Calvin Smith broke it and ran 9.93.

In comparison there just aren't that many fast Australians. Altho when we were 14 this young indigenous kid from somewhere came down to run and ran a 200m race in 21.7 seconds (hand timed, 3 timekeeprs, cinder track.) Two whole seconds faster than any of us could run a 200m. *en did it bare foot too!!! Not wearing spikes. I don't remember where he was from. He told me but I had no idea about indigenous mobs' names back then.

In 2010 I played a game of footy with a ring in who was that years Stawell gift winner (Aaron Stubbs I think, funily enough now I think about it that kid who ran 10.6 in high school was also a Stubbs, from Devonport.) This young indigenous kid fro Rocky River mission out the back of Tabulam came along and played a game too. Never played before. He was faster than the Stawelll gift winner. Unbelieveable but true. Poor kid ended up in jail for murder a couple of years later. * knows how that went so pear shaped.

So maybe we just don't tap our talent properly.

(FWIW I ran that time with * all wind, maybe a headwind but I wasn't even the fastest 100m runner in my year at school, or even a 100m runner primarily. You could probably add .2 of a second to it with electronic timing, that was a standard convention at the time. In that race there were 3 time keepers for first place and each of them recorded 11.0 so it was reasonably accurate for hand timing. It was that same old cinder track too so that took up to a quarter of a second off the time. But its still pretty damn fast.)

Charlie lazzarro's time in the 20m was also 3.1 seconds wasn't it? And LDU iirc. Sometime the draft combine doesn't tell the whole story. (Tho McDonald is sposed to be very fast for a big guy.)

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I highly doubt that kids that do all the dedicated stuff required to get into the system are lazy.

This is probably closer to the mark. I am also under the understanding that Bailey (specifically) was given very conflicting advise under our different FD regimes.

using the general rule of a players height - 100 should = around their weight (+/- say 3 kgs) we have a few that would be under weight a lot of the 22 and under. Stephenson 10-13 kgs under where youd want him and a year longer in the system than Bailey.

The S&C guys need to sort this.

NameAgeHeightWeight
Goldstein, Todd33yr 11mth201cm103kg
Lynch, Tom R31yr 9mth193cm88kg
Hall, Aaron31yr 7mth185cm85kg
Ziebell, Jack31yr 3mth188cm89kg
Cunnington, Ben30yr 11mth185cm88kg
Greenwood, Hugh30yr 3mth191cm94kg
Polec, Jared R29yr 8mth187cm86kg
Walker, Joshua29yr 7mth197cm98kg
Anderson, Jed28yr 4mth179cm81kg
Corr, Aidan28yr 1mth195cm97kg
McDonald, Luke27yr 4mth189cm86kg
Turner, Kayne26yr 5mth180cm71kg
McKay, Ben24yr 6mth201cm99kg
Simpkin, Jy24yr 3mth182cm77kg
Zurhaar, Cameron24yr 1mth189cm92kg
Larkey, Nick24yr198cm95kg
Dawson, Kallan R23yr 11mth194cm78kg
Stephenson, Jaidyn23yr 5mth188cm75kg
Bonar, Aiden23yr 3mth188cm87kg
Xerri, Tristan23yr 3mth201cm99kg
Young, Lachie23yr 2mth189cm81kg
Hayden, Kyron R23yr186cm87kg
Davies-Uniacke, Luke23yr188cm87kg
Coleman-Jones, Callum23yr200cm105kg
Thomas, Tarryn22yr 3mth189cm76kg
Taylor, Curtis22yr 2mth187cm78kg
Scott, Bailey21yr 11mth186cm77kg
McGuinness, Matthew R21yr 11mth192cm77kg
Bosenavulagi, Atu21yr 9mth180cm83kg
Comben, Charlie20yr 11mth199cm84kg
Perez, Flynn20yr 10mth188cm85kg
Mahony, Jack20yr 7mth178cm72kg
Spicer, Phoenix20yr 4mth173cm64kg
Powell, Tom20yr 3mth184cm75kg
Lazzaro, Charlie20yr 3mth179cm73kg
Phillips, Will20yr 1mth181cm80kg
Ford, Eddie20yr189cm83kg
Walker, Patrick R19yr 11mth187cm76kg
Edwards, Jacob R19yr 7mth202cm85kg
Bergman, Miller19yr 5mth188cm65kg
Curtis, Paul19yr 3mth185cm75kg
Goater, Josh19yr190cm80kg
Horne-Francis, Jason19yr185cm81kg
Archer, Jackson18yr 9mth183cm70kg

I wanted to post this in this thread. Thanks Only Forwards.

Quite damning in regards to our physical development.

We looked like skinny high school kids against the crows. And they had a young team on the field.

ToucanSam

Draftee
Jul 6, 2022
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hey all. I'm looking to take the kids down to training tomorrow does anyone know what time it usually happens on a Thursday?

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Hey all. I'm looking to take the kids down to training tomorrow does anyone know what time it usually happens on a Thursday?

They used to be anytime between 10.30 and 12. Not listed on the website, but best bet is to call the club and hope they can answer your question.

Make sure you have helmets and body armour for the kids - there's a civil war going on.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf

If we play on a Saturday, main training is generally Wednesday starting about 12.

Thursday typically a day off.

That can change though. I'm not privvy to any info, just how it normally works.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

ToucanSam

Draftee
Jul 6, 2022
AFL Club
North Melbourne
They used to be anytime between 10.30 and 12. Not listed on the website, but best bet is to call the club and hope they can answer your question.
Spoke to the club earlier. No training tomorrow but likely to be a light run on Friday morning at some point. Will try to head down then, confirming times tomorrow.

Will post here for anyone else interested

ToucanSam

Draftee
Jul 6, 2022
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Training was great this morning. All the players were great with the kids taking photos and signing items.

There was also a pretty good vibe amongst the group. Whilst a light session there was plenty of good energy and positivity.

The kids went away absolutely pumped to have had such great access to the players.

Back