AFLW Training the house down - AFLW style - Preseason 2020

Absolutely devastating that Chelsea Randall has done an ACL.

Most natural female footballer I have seen.

AFLW 2020 has lost a little bit of its shine today. :'(

All the best Chelsea.

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Some big units out there....and I mean that in football terms. Tall and strong.

We've got a great mix of girls.

Yeah noticed in the photo's (couldn't get down there, but have put my hard earned with AFLW membership)
Saxon-Jones looks great as does Emily Harley and Sophie Molan. in a football sense

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Absolutely devastating that Chelsea Randall has done an ACL.

Most natural female footballer I have seen.

AFLW 2020 has lost a little bit of its shine today. :'(

All the best Chelsea.

Just read that as well, the season will be poorer for her absence.
Both her and Erin Phillips are big outs as is Chloe Scheer for Crows

Just read that as well, the season will be poorer for her absence.
Both her and Erin Phillips are big outs as is Chloe Scheer for Crows

Crows are planning that Phillips and Sheer will be available. They only have one on the inactive list - Button. If the others (they have 5 players on their list with ACL injuries) don't play then they will play with a shortened squad of 26.

Yeah noticed in the photo's (couldn't get down there, but have put my hard earned with AFLW membership)
Saxon-Jones looks great as does Emily Harley and Sophie Molan. in a football sense

Really looking forward to seeing Cleo Saxon-Jones in action.

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Crows are planning that Phillips and Sheer will be available. They only have one on the inactive list - Button. If the others (they have 5 players on their list with ACL injuries) don't play then they will play with a shortened squad of 26.

Read somewhere that they were planning to play Erin as a permanent forward this season to not put too much pressure on her knee

Read somewhere that they were planning to play Erin as a permanent forward this season to not put too much pressure on her knee

Probably a really sensible approach but Erin is a competitive beast. I can see her putting herself in the thick of the action and god help the runner who tries to tell her to go back to the forward line.

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Probably a really sensible approach but Erin is a competitive beast. I can see her putting herself in the thick of the action and god help the runner who tries to tell her to go back to the forward line.

I think their plan is to start her up forward in the early rounds and see how she pulls up in regard to playing in the midfield later on

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
What did people make of the training tops?

Thought they were good but needed a number or name.

Some of the girls looked very similar from a distance.

yes agree needed a number or name
also noticed from gettys photos Monique Conti is extremely happy and cheeky young lady, great to see

gettyimages-1189917894-2048x2048.jpg
gettyimages-1189917866-2048x2048.jpg

Last edited:
May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
What did people make of the training tops?

Thought they were good but needed a number or name.

Some of the girls looked very similar from a distance.
Interesting that cotton on have same training tops for all sides , In club colours of course. Reckon the playing strip looks spot on

What 7 news don’t say is that we’ve been involved with the navy and in particular Lieutenant Commander Elisabeth Quinn since 2018 when our VFLW squad was put together.

Last edited:
Interesting that cotton on have same training tops for all sides , In club colours of course. Reckon the playing strip looks spot on

Must admit I'm not a fan of all clubs having the same tops.
Could be worse I guess. Carlton have orange on their strip. Just confirms their obsession with the Giants.

Jack5

Cancelled
Richmond Tigers - Josh Gibcus Player Sponsor 2022 Richmond Tigers - Kamdyn McIntosh Player Sponsor 2022
Sep 15, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Took my daughter to the first open training session last Monday. Her and her two siblings (and me) all onboard as inaugural members.

Agree jumpers need names / numbers so fans can learn who is who, especially important for a new team trying to build fan engagement.

Great skills on display at training and some elite footskills.

The team were generous with their time with fans after the game. Thought there would be more fans. Hoping they get to experience the mighty Tiger army roar at the games.

Looking forward to the season.

Wondering why our first home game ever at Ikon and not Punt Road?

Took my daughter to the first open training session last Monday. Her and her two siblings (and me) all onboard as inaugural members.

Agree jumpers need names / numbers so fans can learn who is who, especially important for a new team trying to build fan engagement.

Great skills on display at training and some elite footskills.

The team were generous with their time with fans after the game. Thought there would be more fans. Hoping they get to experience the mighty Tiger army roar at the games.

Looking forward to the season.

Wondering why our first home game ever at Ikon and not Punt Road?

Punt Rd is nowhere near big enough for our first game. Might not be big enough for any of our home games if we start well.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Punt Rd is nowhere near big enough for our first game. Might not be big enough for any of our home games if we start well.
Hope so tiger must admit I wasn’t encouraged by only 200 or so turning up to The launch training session . Monday night was off time though should have been Saturday arvo

Oct 3, 2006
Gold Coast/Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Phillip Island Bulldogs/Lions AFLW
Hope so tiger must admit I wasn’t encouraged by only 200 or so turning up to The launch training session . Monday night was off time though should have been Saturday arvo

I think a few hundred is reasonable - it was a very awkward timeslot. I was having a chat with Sarah Black from AFL media and we both thought it was a decent (if not outstanding) turnout in comparison to other similar events - and she's been to plenty. The number of excited youngsters there was very encouraging.

Timing wasn't great but it never is. Punt Rd can be a bugger to get to after work. Think they should have also made it a whole club thing and maybe had some AFL players there too. Would have been good to see a bit of support from that side. Bit of mingling with the crowd. Players still on their break might have been the issue there.

As for R1, think Carlton will have a decent crowd there.

Crowd was 24,568 in 2017, 19,852 in 2018 (both Carl v Coll) and the only game involving 2 Melb (well close to 2 Melb) sides in R1 this year was Geel v Coll with 18,429 going in Geelong.

I'm pretty confident we'll get around 20k to our R1 game

I think a few hundred is reasonable - it was a very awkward timeslot. I was having a chat with Sarah Black from AFL media and we both thought it was a decent (if not outstanding) turnout in comparison to other similar events - and she's been to plenty. The number of excited youngsters there was very encouraging.

Sarah Black is great. Knows her stuff. Think she'll have a great career.

As Richmond embarks on its inaugural AFLW season, the players will be taking Tiger fans on the journey with them as they share their experiences. First up is utility Laura Bailey, to detail the opening week of pre-season...

What a week! Our first week of pre-season as AFLW Tigers certainly didn’t disappoint.
It all kicked off at our inaugural training session last Monday night. It was an incredible opportunity to have all our family and friends there and one of the highlights of my football career so far.
As Richmond’s inaugural AFLW team, we didn’t know what to expect when we ran out onto Punt Road Oval for the first time as a group.
But to have the wider Richmond community there cheering us on, including the members, cheer squad, club staff and young, aspiring AFLW players was amazing. Having them all there to be a part of our journey made it so special.

bailey__1024.jpg

There was such a loud cheer as we took to the track and it was great to see the smiles on everyone's faces, particularly the younger players who are new to the program and have never experienced that type of support before.
Our first session focused mainly on fundamentals and our structures. We worked on our skills, showcasing the brand of football we want to be playing to our family and friends.
It was awesome to see the group gelling so well from the get-go. The connection we have within in our group is going from strength to strength. We have a lot of great leaders within our squad and all the girls really do make you feel like a family.
We have a really diverse group of girls and we all bring different qualities that we’ve learnt from being in different environments. Personally, I bring my experiences from being a police officer.
In our short amount of time together, we have focused a lot on the strong culture within our team, and I know that we will proudly represent the Richmond Football Club.
As an older player and one who has played AFLW before, my main focus during the week was to make sure the younger girls felt comfortable in their new environment, especially the ones who have moved down to Melbourne from the country. They’ve all settled in really well and I’m excited to see the impact they have on the league.
Over the next couple of weeks pre-Christmas, we’ll be focusing on our skills and conditioning, to make sure that coming into games we are fit and showcase a great brand of footy.
On Friday night, we excitedly boarded the bus for our inaugural AFLW camp with absolutely no idea what was in store.
Over an hour later we arrived at our surprise destination, HMAS Cerberus, a Navy training base.
Once we arrived at the Navy base, we started to get a bit nervous about what we were going to be put through.
We know that service men and women are resilient and have such a strong work ethic, so we knew we’d be put through our paces physically and mentally.
Discipline. Respect. Teamwork. Many of the qualities that exist in our team also mirror what is valued in the Army and Defence Force.
Throughout the weekend, we took part in many team building and obstacle exercises. The main focus for us was working as a team throughout the shared challenges we faced.

bailey_41219_.jpg

My favourite activity was called the 'Mud Run', requiring us to carry each other through the mud.
It was a really special moment to see the girls get through it all together, just like how we want 2020 to look like from a team perspective.

aflwcamp_41219.jpg

On camp, we got to know everyone on a more personal level and we built on those relationships when we were tested. After getting through the weekend together, we feel so ready to tackle the rest of the pre-season. I know we’ll bring the discipline we learnt on camp to each and every session.
It’s incredible to see how much we’ve grown just in the first week. I’m so happy with where the team is at the moment and the direction we’re heading in.

Back