Training Training Thread 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

we don’t train til Wednesday this week

I get that recovery is important so fair enough today is for that

But we need to be training 3 days during the week to get the players up to scratch (so Tuesday, captains run doesn’t count)

View attachment 1734173

I don't think you quite realise the demands of AFL football.

Most AFL footballers I have spoken to say you spend the entire week recovering and getting up for the next game.

It's not an easy game on the body, you can be sore for 4-5 days afterwards quite easily, even as a younger player.

There's very little training other than basic touch during the year.

What you are describing is what pre-season is for, it's also why players who miss pre-season find it so difficult to catch up.

I've been staying a stones throw from Arden St the past couple nights.
I was hoping to chill and watch a training session, but unfortunately my kids get antsy for adventures further afield well before the sessions officially start (10am is basically their afternoon).
Without being too weird and stalkery, that kid Drury really has work ethic in spades. First player on the field both mornings by some margin, working drills on an empty oval from 8.30. Seriously proactive. Would love it if he made it.

Lloyd was at the game over the weekend and he said in the 4th quarter we were all cramping up and was absolutely spent.

And this was with one of our poorest efforts for 2023.

Our fitness is so far behind the comp it’s not funny. Wtf do we do (or not do) at training that is so different to every other team in the AFL?

Lloyd was at the game over the weekend and he said in the 4th quarter we were all cramping up and was absolutely spent.

Our fitness is so far behind the comp it’s not funny. Wtf do we do (or not do) at training that is so different to every other team in the AFL?
Its been like this for years mate.
Our intensity at training just isnt there compared to other clubs.
Our players don't seem to put on as much size vs other clubs and we clearly can't run out 4 quarters.
I've said it before and been roasted on here for it.
Your senior players drive standards and ours aren't great.

We only had 1 rotation on the bench so I think that has something to do with it. Also we have a very young side on the field. I think fitness probably is the least of our concern.

Chasing ass for 4 qtrs leaves you absolutely spent. Need to win clearances and get games on our terms a little bit

Its been like this for years mate.
Our intensity at training just isnt there compared to other clubs.
Our players don't seem to put on as much size vs other clubs and we clearly can't run out 4 quarters.
I've said it before and been roasted on here for it.
Your senior players drive standards and ours aren't great.

Yeah I’ve been banging on about it for years too. I even made a thread about the horrible training standards at our club.

Chasing ass for 4 qtrs leaves you absolutely spent. Need to win clearances and get games on our terms a little bit
This plus the fact that we can't hit a target means our players have to work that bit harder than the opposition. I'll always remember BB saying he was in the top 5 for fitness at North but was shocked when he arrived at Melbourne to know he was far and away the least fit player on their list. They actually sent him away for a 3 week training block at the start of pre season to catch up to their base minimum requirement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What was the reason for training at Xavier?
As usual, close but missed it by that much Nostrilthrilla. What was the point of training, at all? If the club uses game day for experimenting with lines, they should just send the players out to (random afl player coke heads joint) to watch Scarface and get inspiration. Least we might see some passion come game days.

This plus the fact that we can't hit a target means our players have to work that bit harder than the opposition. I'll always remember BB saying he was in the top 5 for fitness at North but was shocked when he arrived at Melbourne to know he was far and away the least fit player on their list. They actually sent him away for a 3 week training block at the start of pre season to catch up to their base minimum requirement.
Ironically that was said to Jordan Gysberts when he was traded to North from them . How things have changed . Let’s hope it changes again

AFL​

Training (Arden Street Oval)
Wednesday, July 19
10am AEST

Training (Arden Street Oval)
Friday, July 21
10am AEST

Captains' Run (Arden Street Oval)
Saturday, July 22
10.15am AEST

Some of the boys were training this afternoon, my niece was going past and got a photo with them - shezeel, Phillips, drury, Dawson, McDonald, ford, lazarro,
Did McDonald hit a car parked on the street or hit the intended target?

Actually, I think I might've answered my own question.

On holiday from Perth and went to the game on Sunday, I was bitterly disappointed after half time. Like said earlier in this thread, we lack fitness and basic skills. Thanks for posting the training times. I'll.be down there tomorrow to show support to the boys.
Train updates tomorrow please

Tonight on the news, they showed a clip of our training. 4 guys jogging around like a bunch of geriatrics while having a good laugh and a chat. Then they showed Goldy running at a decent clip, obviously doing laps.

After that, they showed clips of * and Collingwood training. All players running strongly, doing sprints and taking their exercises seriously.

Like chalk and cheese

Last edited:
Just left training. Wardlaw was out there doing short run throughs, great lad... he said good things will come. He mentioned his Injury, not as bad at first thought. Powell also at 75% just doing kicking and run throughs. Shiels also the same. Simpkin was out there with the midfield group. Still some basic errors I saw, players dropping marks from 20 metre kicks fumbles. No sign of Clarko out there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back