Training Training Thread 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Just left training. Wardlaw was out there doing short run throughs, great lad... he said good things will come. He mentioned his Injury, not as bad at first thought. Powell also at 75% just doing kicking and run throughs. Shiels also the same. Simpkin was out there with the midfield group. Still some basic errors I saw, players dropping marks from 20 metre kicks fumbles. No sign of Clarko out there.
Wardlaw? That's amazing. Thank-you for the hope.

Tonight on the news, they showed a clip of our training. 4 guys jogging around like a bunch of geriatrics while having a good laugh and a chat. Then they showed Goldy running at a decent clip, obviously doing laps.

After that, the showed clips of * and Collingwood training. All players running strongly, doing sprints and taking their exercises seriously.

Like chalk and cheese

Everything is positive mate. Everything is all rainbows and lollipops.

We are the definition of a “nice” club.

Was pleasantly surprised to see an update in the training thread. I'd almost forgotten we were a football club that actually played football. In fact I was beginning to think North was an entity established solely for click bait and talk back for the broader AFL media.

Other things to note... Edwards was told a few times where to run. Seems miles off it. Simpkin was at full speed. Saw McDonald hit a target! Goldy dropped a mark but yelled in frustration... towards the end they started doing circle work after breaking away from there groups. There still seemed to be good energy in the team.

Other things to note... Edwards was told a few times where to run. Seems miles off it. Simpkin was at full speed. Saw McDonald hit a target! Goldy dropped a mark but yelled in frustration... towards the end they started doing circle work after breaking away from there groups. There still seemed to be good energy in the team.
Seems a bit harsh. We haven't even delisted him yet

Its time

1689757859000.jpeg

Everything is positive mate. Everything is all rainbows and lollipops.

We are the definition of a “nice” club.
Yep, its a great way to pass the winter months until the (no finals) extended spring holidays come along and they can spend all their money. Then they get another break at the start of summer and spend a little more easy money.

Its only a 2 month block at the end of summer where they have to turn up 3 times a week and go through the motions of doing something strenuous. What a life... 2-3 months of pretend work for 9-10 months of easy living.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, its a great way to pass the winter months until the (no finals) extended spring holidays come along and they can spend all their money. Then they get another break at the start of summer and spend a little more easy money.

Its only a 2 month block at the end of summer where they have to turn up 3 times a week and go through the motions of doing something strenuous. What a life... 2-3 months of pretend work for 9-10 months of easy living.

Im in the wrong job.....

Lloyd was at the game over the weekend and he said in the 4th quarter we were all cramping up and was absolutely spent.

And this was with one of our poorest efforts for 2023.

Our fitness is so far behind the comp it’s not funny. Wtf do we do (or not do) at training that is so different to every other team in the AFL?
Maybe maybe not,,,,could also come down to nutrition. Some mates and I used to live in the tropics and competed in triathlons (including iron man) to a pretty decent level. 32 degrees, no shade, 99pct humidity. My biggest improvement in performance was not fitness based, but getting nutrition and particularly hydration right. Having a supplement with the right electrolyte/carb/(and protein for longer efforts) mix, and consuming it at the right times before and during a race/training made a huge difference (20 mins improvement in 2 weeks over olympic distance). Avoid simple sugars that are in your standard Gatorade etc. None of us ever had cramp issues and I doubt any of us were as fit as AFL players, maybe apart from 1 fella who made Kona World Iron Man titles a few years running.

Lloyd was at the game over the weekend and he said in the 4th quarter we were all cramping up and was absolutely spent.

Our fitness is so far behind the comp it’s not funny. Wtf do we do (or not do) at training that is so different to every other team in the AFL?
Kevin White has only been at the club for 2 pre-seasons, our fitness has improved each year and will do so again next year. Like with most areas of the club we're playing catch up with the rest of the competition but we'll get there.

In regards specifically to the cramping we have a unique combination of a lot of young 1st - 3rd year players and a lot of veterans, if ever there were two groups that were prone to cramps it's these two.

Screen Shot 2023-07-24 at 2.39.44 pm.png

Last edited:
Kevin White has only been at the club for 2 pre-seasons, our fitness has improved each year and will do so again next year. Like with most areas of the club we're playing catch up with the rest of the competition but we'll get there.

In regards specifically to the cramping we have a unique combination of a lot of young 1st - 3rd year players and a lot of veterans, if ever there were two groups that were prone to cramps it's these two.

View attachment 1752873

If he wasn't good enough for Collingwood, he isn't good enough for us.

Draft fitter players. This is the take I've come to over the past year or so.

I honestly reckon we throw too much on the high performance guys.

Why?

Fitness is a comparative thing. Yes, you can improve it. But so can every other player in the comp. I'd hazard a guess that almost every high performance manager in the league is pretty damn good and they all operate similar programs.

It's not like North Melbourne gets a new high performance manager in and all of a sudden we're making ground on the rest of the comp. We get a guy in who is up to scratch and he's simply doing what the best do anyway, who are also improving their team's fitness.

I don't think it's a shock that over the past 5-10 years as it has become its own field that the best players have all been super fit and almost ready to rock from day 1. Daicos, Walsh, Sheezel, all very good aerobically before even entering the league.

For the unfit blokes who have a lot of room for improvement, getting them up to scratch shouldn't be rocket science. It's more dependent on their will to work.

The real focus will soon become how to get these fit blokes faster and more explosive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back