Training Training Thread 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Of all the things to question about Wellsy, his kicking isn’t one. It was next level. In todays game, he’d win games/brownlows/finals for us.
Wells was my favourite player to watch but the issue was that he wasn't great at handling a bit of extra attention.

Untagged he would look like the best player in the comp. But tagged he would really struggle.

Thats the thing that held him back from being truly elite, in my opinion.

Oh I should have said , I’ve known old mate for over ten years and he’s never been so positive.

The whole place is just so positive apparently.
It is a different club now
Its not stating the obvious at all.. i mean, just have one look at social media and it’s different. Beinging in the youf for kick to kick… it’s simply building from the bottom up.. now we here

Don't forget Tom Powell, our other first round pick from 2020. Hoping that he shows more of the potential that he displayed in his first year at the club - .

I'm somewhat disappointed with these highlights. I'd like to have seen some of Powell's Cunningtom-like handballs, which split packs and opened up play.

Apart from that worm-burner that Jy produced playing as a man-possessed against Richmond last year, I think that Wells’ split second decision and vision to change a short cross kick to the wing from HB into a 65 metre zone buster and against the blues in 2013(?). All time best I’ve seen. Oh that and Carey’s left foot banana goal on the boundary against *.

Can someone find video footage of that kick? Would love to watch it on repeat 🥰

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Jy* (Updated Link)

2 minutes 25 seconds in.

Carey

1 minute 58 seconds in.

Wells

Not the one you're thinking of, but I still like the no look kick (starting at 0:45)

Last edited:
Obviously everyone is sick of ridiculous comparisons but I see a lot of GAJ about the way carries the ball and how clean/neat he is.
I can see that with his running style-low centre of gravity.

I know people get up in arms about this comparison because of Will’s contested and defensive game, but he moves like, has the vision of and the weapons over 40 that B.Harvey had.

Jy

6 minutes 40 seconds in.

Carey

1 minute 58 seconds in.

Wells

Not the one you're thinking of, but I still like the no look kick (starting at 0:45)

Sh*t Wells was smoother than 50 YO scotch. I had forgotten how beautiful it was seeing him about and gliding across the field. Thank you.

Wells was my favourite player to watch but the issue was that he wasn't great at handling a bit of extra attention.

Untagged he would look like the best player in the comp. But tagged he would really struggle.

Thats the thing that held him back from being truly elite, in my opinion.
He got much better in the later seasons of that era when we actually started complementing him with midfield class.

I always think of that arsey sledge he gave that poor Carlton sod tagging him in the forward pocket (circadian 2014/15) Before the ball-up, he leans over and says to the effect “watch this” and ends up kicking a pearler from a beautiful Goldie tap. A dead ringer of the G to CZ tap we got this year.

I also am aware that you are trying your best at a “gotcha” after the exchanges we have had. Lets be quite clear, concise and honest. All your inside info was for a completely different team. You waltz around these traps with some kind of swag… my work mate said the exact same s**t you did when he was drafted. Carry on wayward son
My god you are full of your self. There is no gotcha moment. I’m just pointing out you’re full of s**t. You pick Wells, yes a sublime kick when young, and then say no one else can improve their kicking. It’s just absolute bullshit. If it was the case why bother practice kicking at all at training? Why not just run run run. You’ve just proven your self to be a complete nuffty.

Got cha.

When and ironically Anderson turned up at north from of course the Hawks.

We didn’t practice our skills often. So Ando introduced some of the kicking skill training that he did at the Hawks.

al clarko is mad for good foot skills, got me beat why you would practice kicking ina sport called football .

Am sure there is method to al’s madness.

Wonder if the * club will practice as someone thought it wasn’t necessary during his time with us. As in “ you’d already made it as an AFL footballer”.

There's so many factors that talking in absolutes is a waste of time.

I can see the argument if a guy has been well coached through juniors and doesn't have an obvious, fixable flaw and they are still a bad kick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was just mentioning individual kicks.

Best kick for goal at North over the last 40 years: Carey/Abraham

Best kick over 35 metres: Harvey or Grant

Best kick over 50 metres: Wells

Nobody better than Peter German on the run from that 35 to 55m range.

Abraham was one of the most skills players we've had. This goal in a final was special, @ 3:25. Was at the game. Pity injury finished him early. Only played two more games after this one.

Sh*t the quality of footy was high back then-so good to watch.

Winnie is one of only two players in the last 30 years that could kick it from anywhere inside 55-60. The other is Carey. To think there was a 3 year period where we had both of the causing havoc.

One thing that gets me a little sad thinking about the state of the game is players being instructed (at least at North) to always kick it inside 50. Now this works if you have both accurate kicks and KPFs who can both take a mark on the lead and in a contested situation.

Thinking back over the last three years and the numerous pathetic attempts where North Players were 40-55 metres out and wouldn’t even entertain having a bomb, and then inevitably screw up a dicky kick inside, just gets my goat.

What happened to Lmac getting the handball receive and slotting it from 50? I thought that was an underrated play in 2017-18.

I also thought Jmac was a pretty good shot on the run into 50. Very straightforward technique that even if fell short or floated, at least went where it was intended.

Heck even Tarrant didn't hesitate to bang them every once in a while as the bloke just did his stuff. We really need to bring those long kicks back. It sets up the crowd to go nuts and prolong the 'YEAAHHHHH!'

I miss that.

I was just mentioning individual kicks.

Best kick for goal at North over the last 40 years: Carey/Abraham

Best kick over 35 metres: Harvey or Grant

Best kick over 50 metres: Wells

I'm glad you said "over 35m", because under 15m kicks to win games of football weren't his forte.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back