Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Even if we don't play the kids initially, we will at some point. Natural attrition will take care of that.The U23 brigade make up over half the list.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Yeah I don't know why people are so insistent on putting down younger players to inflate the older players.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Like most of us I have NFI if JZ will play back and if it will work. I just hope he can get through this year injury free as he’s so important from a leadership perspective for the kids.

I’m interested to see if they play Hayden as a midfielder (VFL or AFL) after training with that group. Being able to play both in defence and in the middle is really positive from a flexibility perspective.

To say that I’m excited to see the Round 1 picked side is an under statement. Kudos to anyone that can pick it, I’ve had 3 cracks and still not confident.

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
The AFL side should always be made up of the best 22 fit players available on the list.

Jack is in the Top 6 of that list, when fit.

In no particular order:

1. Goldy
2. Tarrant
3. Cunners
4. Simpkin
5. Ziebell
6. LMac

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
The AFL side should always be made up of the best 22 fit players available on the list.

In no particular order:

1. Goldy
2. Tarrant
3. Cunners
4. Simpkin
5. Ziebell
6. LMac
Things get a bit less clear when you get past the first 12. Also it'll be fluid throughout the year. The best 22 at rd 1 will be different by rd22.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
🤣I’m not sure whether I 100% agree with you on this Snake. Although, I strongly suspect I do. However, the post itself is priceless. Cruel, but...

Sometimes you have to be blunt.

When you bring up the "play the kids" that bombed out, then they get written off as past tense, but the strategy itself doesn't get questioned. It gets reloaded.

Why?

Because the less analytical supporter sees this as the be all and end all solution. It really is the footy supporter version of tattslotto. If you get to play an endless supply of kids your numbers will eventually come up.

What isn't usually described is the level of required nuance that goes along with this strategy. There's a lot of other things that have to be in place, and in this day & age of free agency, then the youth at all costs strategy has been mitigated, but how many of these folks think that through?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Things get a bit less clear when you get past the first 12. Also it'll be fluid throughout the year. The best 22 at rd 1 will be different by rd22.

I'll have a crack at a 12-13.

The 6 Andy posted and:

Anderson
Polec
McKay
Larkey
Zurhaar
Davies-Uniake

I dare say Stephenson also.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Even if we don't play the kids initially, we will at some point. Natural attrition will take care of that.The U23 brigade make up over half the list.

I reckon that Simpkin, McKay, Zurhaar, Larkey and Davies-Uniake aside, the other under 23's will be fighting it out for ~ 4 spots.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I couldn't disagree there. And in that top 13, there's 7 23 or under.

Yep, however I would be putting in Atley, Hall, Turner, Garner & Dyson/Dumont and I reckon the rest of the under 23's will vie for ~4 spots (bolded is my hunch).

Xerri - potential 2nd KPF/ruck
Scott, Phillips - midfield rotations
Thomas, Taylor - last forward spot
Young, Perez, Hayden - last defender spot

We'll see what eventuates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au

In no particular order:

1. Goldy
2. Tarrant
3. Cunners
4. Simpkin
5. Ziebell
6. LMac

Jack is overrated - his performances have never matched the hype.
He has never put it all together for even one season - can’t hit targets or kick simple goals.
The other mature players you’ve listed have at least done this on multiple occasions.
Every single north fan has wanted/willed this guy to go to the next level but it hasn’t happened for varying reasons.
He’s a good leader but not enough to be carried in the twilight of his career.

Wonderdog

All Australian
Nov 14, 2001
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'll have a crack at a 12-13.

The 6 Andy posted and:

Anderson
Polec
McKay
Larkey
Zurhaar
Davies-Uniake

I dare say Stephenson also.
I think LDU has been gifted games under the play the kids rationale. Until his great finish to the season last year his performances did not warrant his selection. He is one that the rationale has worked for, Jy is another. It Is about nuances & the individual player. It will work for some, not others. I think Will Phillips will get games this year I am not sure Spicer will.

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
In terms of importance, Larkey is top 3.

People carry on like Perez and Hayden are walk up starts because they showed some positive traits in a very experimental season, but there's no way right now that they are better footballers than Jack Ziebell, and playing blokes in the AFL for development is probably the biggest fallacy going around.

The anxious and ignorant want to see it because they have this idea that it will fast track a premiership. What rot!

They could be fitter, stronger and more capable this season too which needs to be taken into consideration.

This is hardly an exact science.

Hayden and Perez have both shown plenty, it’s madness to hold them back unless they’re injured or don’t touch the ball in the Praccies.

Lack of speed and class off half back has been an issue since 2007. As has locking down the best small forwards.

We need to find a long-term solution.

You have very low standards.

For 2021 perhaps, but not 2022-2025 and beyond.

It’s called rebuilding for a reason, ****ed if I’m getting my hopes up about winning games, we barely won Quarters last year and we have lost Brown and Higgins.

I have no doubt we will improve or end 2021 being closer to a flag, but let’s face facts here, Larkey or Goldy go down for extended periods and we are so beyond ****ed.

Come on, the kids are better than the incumbents?

The kids have a crapload of potential and have had some nice moments but as it stands the kids aren’t even better than Dom Tyson!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It’s been less than 12 months since this has been proven to be incorrect. Rowell? Anderson? Caleb Serong? Rosie a couple of years before? Start of R4 last Season, a 3-Gamer was already in the top 50 players in the AFL. Some were even saying top 10 and a Brownlow chance. This is not a hope-cast, these kids are more ready to play from the off than ever before in the drafts history.

Rowell was kicking goals from 50 on the left etc Now I’d love Phillips to come out and do something like Rowell, but he doesn’t need to be that good to be a better midfielder in 2021 than Ziebell for instance, or for that matter Hall, Dumont, Atley, Turner + any of the incumbents who may be 2nd or 3rd years kids themselves. It’s not that hard to believe is it?

Just putting it out there, Phillips was better than half our list the moment he sat his ass down in the induction room. Powell not far behind. Ford too.

Ford could eat 28 year old Sam Wright for breakfast and he hasn’t even competed 2 months of Pre-Season yet.

We drafted ready-made players mate, not sure we did that to then have them sit and rot in our non-existent VFL team whilst our senior team with average age of 27 sits in 17th or 18th spot.

That would be football insanity.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I think LDU has been gifted games under the play the kids rationale. Until his great finish to the season last year his performances did not warrant his selection. He is one that the rationale has worked for, Jy is another. It Is about nuances & the individual player. It will work for some, not others. I think Will Phillips will get games this year I am not sure Spicer will.

You are somewhat correct, but the yearning chasm in midfield depth with Hall, Ahern & Tyson having injuries pushed him forward ahead of time.

He's ready now, but I don't think for one second he would have played many games up to this point if our midfield 2019-2020 was Stevens, Schwass, Rock, Romero, Scott & Simpson. He would have been developing in the 2nds.

The flip side argument would have had McKay debuting a year earlier & holding his spot, if not for Tazz & Thommo being such a great resilient combo.

Moral of the story: They're ready when they're ready.

KiwiRoo

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2007
New Zealand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The kids learn a hell of a lot more playing with seasoned players than with too many other young bucks who aren't ready.
There's also a lot to be said for earning your place in a side. It creates the right team culture and dynamics.

nj23

Senior List
Jan 24, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Perhaps training JZ in the back half was less about JZ and more about seeing what a forward line of juniors do with no senior voice barking orders? No idea who filled the different forward lines but could be a possibility.

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
How many people here are saying Jack isn't best 22?

How many games has JZ won us from the backline in his career?

Multiple posts questioning his place in the team across multiple threads.

I don’t want to see him off HB at all, but the suggestions from some that he shouldn’t even play are well off the mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back