Training Training thread - news and live reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There’s a significant amount of ‘what have you done for me lately’ surrounding Jack.

He’s won games off his own boot a number of times over his career.

He’s also lost us a number of games off his own boot with poor defensive transition (midfield) and poor goal kicking.

I think we desperately need his hustle and bustle in the forward line with 2-3 minutes bursts in the midfield. Regardless of game plan he’ll get caught out in D50. The distributor role (if we have one) is far more suited to McDonald.

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Multiple posts questioning his place in the team across multiple threads.

I don’t want to see him off HB at all, but the suggestions from some that he shouldn’t even play are well off the mark.

Agree 100%

When fit he’s easily best 22. When unfit he is a liability.

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
He’s also lost us a number of games off his own boot with poor defensive transition (midfield) and poor goal kicking.

I think we desperately need his hustle and bustle in the forward line with 2-3 minutes bursts in the midfield. Regardless of game plan he’ll get caught out in D50. The distributor role (if we have one) is far more suited to McDonald.

He’s far less of a defensive liability than Cunnington, who seems to be allowed to just not chase through the middle of the field. If he doesn’t win the footy, the opposition has a plus one in the middle of the field.

Jack’s best position is as you suggest.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He’s far less of a defensive liability than Cunnington, who seems to be allowed to just not chase through the middle of the field. If he doesn’t win the footy, the opposition has a plus one in the middle of the field.

Jack’s best position is as you suggest.

Cunners inside work is far superior to Jacks, it’s why he is given a bit of a leave pass when it comes to defence. Like Ziebell he just doesn’t have the tank to be chasing tail all the time.

it’s a shame that the both of them have never been able to develop the running capacity more.

With Brown gone I think this is the year you play Ziebell & Zurhaar out of the goal square. With quick ball movement those two are going to cause headaches for opposition defenders

Shagga is all Class

Premiership Player
May 15, 2005
Beneath the Blue and White
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
Jack is overrated - his performances have never matched the hype.
He has never put it all together for even one season - can’t hit targets or kick simple goals.
The other mature players you’ve listed have at least done this on multiple occasions.
Every single north fan has wanted/willed this guy to go to the next level but it hasn’t happened for varying reasons.
He’s a good leader but not enough to be carried in the twilight of his career.

Last I checked, Ziebell is out of contact at the end of this year, along with about 20 other blokes.

I could be wrong but that doesn't spell carrying a bloke.

Given our cull last year, that is an awful lot of footballers being told to perform or else.

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Cunners inside work is far superior to Jacks, it’s why he is given a bit of a leave pass when it comes to defence. Like Ziebell he just doesn’t have the tank to be chasing tail all the time.

it’s a shame that the both of them have never been able to develop the running capacity more.

With Brown gone I think this is the year you play Ziebell & Zurhaar out of the goal square. With quick ball movement those two are going to cause headaches for opposition defenders

It would. But you also essentially stating the very reason why Phillips will be picked. He’s a defensive running animale.

In saying that I’d still go with McKay at CHF I reckon, at least try it. Like his season last year if he were to explode and takes a few grabs - it’s a massive win for us Long Term on so many levels. We’ve never seen a confident Benny McKay strutting around the Forward Line.. He’s not the shy 17 year old we drafted, he wants it and he has a bit of Swagger. Sure we’d need to find another Tall lockdown defender if it worked out but they are historically available in the Rookie Draft. So to me the risk (whatever anyone quantifies as such) is very much worth it.

McKay Forward would equate to Ziebell back, IMO. This looks solid enough to me.

B: Ziebell - Tarrant - Hayden
HB: Perez - Corr - McDonald
C: Polec - Anderson - Taylor
HF: Thomas - McKay - Zurhaar
F: Stephenson - Larkey - Cunnington
FOL: Goldstein - LDU - Simpkin
I/C: Phillips Powell Scott Garner

McKay to float back when required.

It’s a good balance of quality experience and young talent which just needs a bit of time to gel. Hopefully Goldy, Cunners and Taz have enough time for a fairytale ending.

Last edited:

Reginald0

Club Legend
Jul 30, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Good team with the usual Atley Dumont conundrums
I think Atley has to be a lockdown defender of some sort and Dumont has performed so he deserves to be played until someone Takes his spot

but there are Always injuries so the day we have to worry about fitting guys in the team , well bring it on

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It would. But you also essentially stating the very reason why Phillips will be picked. He’s a defensive running animale.

In saying that I’d still go with McKay at CHF I reckon, at least try it. Like his season last year if he were to explode and takes a few grabs - it’s a massive win for us Long Term on so many levels. We’ve never seen a confident Benny McKay strutting around the Forward Line.. He’s not the shy 17 year old we drafted, he wants it and he has a bit of Swagger. Sure we’d need to find another Tall lockdown defender if it worked out but they are historically available in the Rookie Draft. So to me the risk (whatever anyone quantifies as such) is very much worth it.

McKay Forward would equate to Ziebell back, IMO. This looks solid enough to me.

B: Ziebell - Tarrant - Hayden
HB: Perez - Corr - McDonald
C: Polec - Anderson - Taylor
HF: Thomas - McKay - Zurhaar
F: Stephenson - Larkey - Cunnington
FOL: Goldstein - LDU - Simpkin
I/C: Phillips Powell Scott Garner

McKay to float back when required.

It’s a good balance of quality experience and young talent which just needs a bit of time to gel. Hopefully Goldy, Cunners and Taz have enough time for a fairytale ending.
MCKAY IS A DEFENDER.

MCKAY IS A DEFENDER.

EXACTLY, like why push back his progress and development to take his game further. Makes no sense

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Jack has some stiff competition.

Will be interesting as he's good (not great) at his best.

If he starts going to ground again like a beached whale every 2 seconds then he doesn't play.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Jack has some stiff competition.

Will be interesting as he's good (not great) at his best.

If he starts going to ground again like a beached whale every 2 seconds then he doesn't play.

I really don’t like the disrespect you have towards Ziebell. He’s someone who has been willing to bleed for the jumper as much as anyone I’ve seen. He’s not perfect but show some respect ffs.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It can definitely work well in the right structure.
I don't disagree that it could work.
Just that given the strength of our 22 (not many spaces for kids) we'll be taking away one of the few avenues of development.
I don't want to go back to a similar BS system where the kids don't develop and end up in their early-mid 20s with sub 30 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back