Training Training thread - news and live reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It means we have put games into LDU basically at every opportunity. Just like Simpkin and Cunnington early days, getting games into them can have a positive result even if they’re not quite at the required playing level.

A major weakness with LDU in recent years has been his inability to keep up with the speed of the game. The more exposure he has had at the top level, the better he has got in that area of his game.

Each player is different and some can benefit from more time in the VFL, but there is no doubt some benefit from getting early exposure at the top level.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cunnington got dropped a few times and was racking up 30+ touches in the VFL for weeks running before he became a staple in the senior side.

Cunnington got dropped a few times and was racking up 30+ touches in the VFL for weeks running before he became a staple in the senior side.

No one is suggesting these kids never get dropped. The fact is Cunnington was given regular games at the top level when he looked lost at sea for much of it. In time his exposure along with stints in the VFL was his best course of development.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The majority of the time, new players spend time in the VFL because of fitness and that’s coming from someone who’s worked as an analyst at North.

Coaches definitely prefer to develop players in the senior side due to the drastic difference in intensity between the two levels, however, if a player can’t handle it and they become a liability then they are sent back to the reserves to get up to speed.

The majority of the time, new players spend time in the VFL because of fitness and that’s coming from someone who’s worked as an analyst at North.

Coaches definitely prefer to develop players in the senior side due to the drastic difference in intensity between the two levels, however, if a player can’t handle it and they become a liability then they are sent back to the reserves to get up to speed.

In other words, they're ready when they're ready. It cannot be fast tracked.

Haha how don't you see how this relates to your point?

LDU is just a better player period than Dow.....

LDU and Phillips are top 5 picks. Ya don't play them 20 games in 3 years no matter what midfield you already have....let alone one that's bad like ours.
Get the games into them as quick as possible.
If not then we've picked the wrong players that high simple.

Where did I mention Dow?

Most of it due to list shortages haha
His actual point goes straight over your head...
Then you pretend what he said was somehow relevant to your point of view....then you roll along with your normal rubbish...

As if LDU has only got 30 games because of our list.....he'd have played every game probably if fit.

Top 4 picks don't just rot in the twos for 3 years......regardless if they light it up or not. Unless they were a dud pick....which he isn't.

You're losing the plot and getting emotional now.

........and you're wrong.

Most of it due to list shortages haha
His actual point goes straight over your head...
Then you pretend what he said was somehow relevant to your point of view....then you roll along with your normal rubbish...

As if LDU has only got 30 games because of our list.....he'd have played every game probably if fit.

Top 4 picks don't just rot in the twos for 3 years......regardless if they light it up or not. Unless they were a dud pick....which he isn't.

Whatever pick you’re taken in the draft, you need to earn your spot rather than have it gifted.

It’s a simple concept that Nobes recently said himself.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Whatever pick you’re taken in the draft, you need to earn your spot rather than have it gifted.

The psychology of the "play the kids" cult has religious undertones.

It's built on ignorance and hope.

In other words, they're ready when they're ready. It cannot be fast tracked.
Coaches and development staff prefer to play the young blokes in particular in the one’s because they definitely get up to speed quicker than if they just play VFL, solely due to difference in intensity.

If they can’t cope or they need a break they are then sent back to the VFL.

That isn’t to say blokes aren’t put into the VFL to develop until they’re ready for the big time but these players are generally the players who are either key position so physically can’t match it with AFL bodies or kids who don’t have the talent to overcome their deficiencies caused by lack of fitness at the elite level.

Coaches and development staff prefer to play the young blokes in particular in the one’s because they definitely get up to speed quicker than if they just play VFL, solely due to difference in intensity.

If they can’t cope or they need a break they are then sent back to the VFL.

That isn’t to say blokes aren’t put into the VFL to develop until they’re ready for the big time but these players are generally the players who are either key position so physically can’t match it with AFL bodies or kids who don’t have the talent to overcome their deficiencies caused by lack of fitness at the elite level.
:thumbsu: This might be the first post I've read on this that isn't either "you have to play high draft picks in the ones to develop them" or "you don't play them until they're better than the incumbent". Surely it's not that black and white and depends on the player. What is better for someone like Phillips' development - near full games on the ball in the twos or short bursts in the middle in the ones and being played out of position as a small forward the rest of the time? Despite Noble's couple of interviews we don't know his game plan or whether he cares about winning games this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can go along with that mate, the point is that there's a requisite standard capability required other than being young.

Agree.

Speed & endurance............then football ability........decide which kids move up quicker, and in that order.

Someone like Stephenson was always going to get off to a flyer before LDU, but does that mean he'll end up the better overall career player? I very much doubt it.

KPP's & true inside mids generally take a lot more time.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

“There needs to be a element that they’ve earned their spot....I’m not invested in a particular team, a more mature team....we need to look at out best team and if that includes our picks from this year so be it”

He won’t be adverse to playing them if they show they’re up to it in preseason. I think a few of the mature incumbents may have to earn their spots as well.

He won’t be adverse to playing them if they show they’re up to it in preseason. I think a few of the mature incumbents may have to earn their spots as well.

If they are not starting 22, then they have to dislodge someone through injury or form.

I expect quite a few of the younguns to impress in the VFL if we get near to full strength.

They need to get to the VFL more often to see that the kids are playing!!

I never want to wish our senior players away;)

A SIGNIFICANT element of the "play the kids" cult, IMO.

It's just flat out curiosity.

If they are not starting 22, then they have to dislodge someone through injury or form.

I expect quite a few of the younguns to impress in the VFL if we get near to full strength.

Looking at the white team (hmmmm...lol) from yesterday, that looked like what could be our “best” 22 right now...

Hayden Walker Ziebell
McDonald Tarrant Atley

Scott Anderson Thomas
Goldstein Simpkin LDU

Mahony Skinner Stephenson
Turner Larkey Zurhaar

Cunnington, Corr, Polec and Dumont were all missing you’d expect to be in if fit.

McKay played for the blue team. I’d expect to man up on Larkey as he’s pretty much been glued to him all season.

Skinner is obviously not on the list as yet so you can’t ink him in. Xerri probably competing for that spot.

Taylor, Phillips, Young, Hall, along with Xerri maybe next cabs off the rank. You’re right, the VFL will be must watch, particularly early.

Well Durdin is primed for a big year after spending 7 seasons in the VFL👍.

of course with our list culI, it will be difficult to not play inexperienced footballers .

What we’ve probably 17 ish experienced heads on our list and 3-4 of them aren’t probably long term anyway. Or just plain back up .

Hall, Campbell, Tyson and possibly Atley.

Update on Cunnington, Polec and Garner?

Got told that Ford needs scans on his ankle. They didn’t think it was that serious.

Corr had a bit of calf tightness after training Wednesday.

Garner has a little bit of hip/back tightness & Cunnington is being managed.

Polec has been managed throughout the whole preseason because of minor hamstring and back tightness. Only missed a handful of session.

Dumont a couple of weeks away. Same with Bonar.

Mcguiness is running and doing weights but won’t be doing any match practice for at least a few weeks.

Comben will be out for 3+ months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back