Training Training thread - news and live reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh Walker brought in for this exact reason and should get first crack at replacing scooter

I tend to agree with this. He actually zones very well.

When did Josh Walker prove himself at AFL level?

He kicked 3 goals against us in the 2014 semi final for starters, AND picked up 13 marks playing as a zoning defender against us in round 20 of 2018.

He's no spud.

It is why Durdin and McKay are important to us, you need continuity with the playing group if you want consistency.

Thanks for post and all makes perfect sense.

I have no doubt at all that these two are extremely important, especially what we paid for them with little return (yet).

I guess I'm just worried they mightn't fill the void as easily as some think. They may even turn out better than Scooter, so i guess lets go glass half full for now.

I’m vaulting this for posterity
Haven’t been here too long but first time I’ve seen you guys agree on something
May there be more

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I call them on their merits mate. Permanent outrage is for the children.

Thanks for post and all makes perfect sense.

I have no doubt at all that these two are extremely important, especially what we paid for them with little return (yet).

I guess I'm just worried they mightn't fill the void as easily as some think. They may even turn out better than Scooter, so i guess lets go glass half full for now.

I think our defense accounts for itself very well when our midfield applies defensive pressure, the problem is when we don't put pressure up the field and I think every club has that problem so I think defensively speaking our most pressing issue for Shaw to address is the two-way application of the midfield. We usually have Cunnington and Ziebell who can't break into a sprint and Polec/Higgins who at times didn't chase and then we had kids like Thomas, etc make up the mix and at times our defensive pressure was horrendous and our defense was just exposed. The midfield is where we need to make the biggest improvement imo.

I’m very confident that Daw will pick up where he left off in 2018. He’s actually fit and doing a preseason. Has that ever happened before? Fitness has always been the thing holding him back, that hurt his confidence. He’s cherry ripe right now and has essentially a whole pre season infront of him training next to Tazz.

He’s going to rip s**t up next year.

He kicked 3 goals against us in the 2014 semi final for starters, AND picked up 13 marks playing as a zoning defender against us in round 20 of 2018.

He's no spud.

Traded from Geelong for peanuts. Delisted from Brisbane.

He's no best 22 lock for a side that is seriously pushing for finals.

He is depth, shouldn't play more then 3-5 games in 2020.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think our defense accounts for itself very well when our midfield applies defensive pressure, the problem is when we don't put pressure up the field and I think every club has that problem so I think defensively speaking our most pressing issue for Shaw to address is the two-way application of the midfield. We usually have Cunnington and Ziebell who can't break into a sprint and Polec/Higgins who at times didn't chase and then we had kids like Thomas, etc make up the mix and at times our defensive pressure was horrendous and our defense was just exposed. The midfield is where we need to make the biggest improvement imo.

Ususlly I'd zip the post so not to clog up a thread.

But that is spot on Tas. 100 per cent.

Hopefully Shaw (and equally his assistants to help who are more important than some think) can get this issue sorted and have a well adjusted and versatile midfield, tough but disciplined, skilled mid team to assist the fwds and backs consistently.

And his kicking, jeeeeeezus. One thing today, in this full contact keepings off thing, the handball came out the back to him where he was in the "pocket" if one was referring to American football which one never should, but had the second of time and space, he's kicked it in what was simultaneously a kick popped over the zone but also had the crucial no hang time and I was like - where is this going - but a bloke ran on to it and fired off a handball out further and set up what would have been a goal.

Very very few people could have hit the kick, was pretty amazing bit of skill, and he's clearly practising them every day, and with licence to go for them.

You can see it in the training photos from last month. Looked so much trimmer.

Trim sure, but doesn't appear to have drastically changed in size as it were, has some good core strength through him.

There was plenty of excitement for not only the draftees, but within the current playing list, with Trent Dumont looking forward to working with his new teammates.

“You come into the environment with your eyes open, just trying to take everything in like a sponge,” he told North Media.

“Us boys will just doing what we can to make them feel as comfortable as possible.”

WATCH: Rhyce Shaw visits Jack Mahony
The memories of being selected still resonate with Dumont, who was selected with pick 30 in the 2013 Draft.

“They’ve (the recruits) got a story they have to write now, and it’s an exciting time for them,” he said.

“There’s a lot of hard work ahead, but we as a group have to be there for them now and to support them as best we can.

“The advice I’d give would be to be as open to learning as much as possible. Sit up with the coaches, learn from them, and get to know your teammates, as that connection helps to receive feedback.

“They’ll hopefully add plenty to this club in the future, and we can share success together.”

Head of development, Gavin Brown said that the first week is likely to be a light one for the youngsters.

“It’s a low-key week for them. It’s an introduction to the program, and they will join in training where they can,” he said.

“We’ll slowly build them up until we feel we can fully integrate them into the program.”

The first-year players head to Rye for a training camp on Monday afternoon.

Check out the best photos from the session below.

021219_Gallery5.jpg

Jack Ziebell.

021219_Gallery6.jpg

Josh Walker listens to Jade Rawlings.

021219_Gallery7.jpg

Robbie Tarrant and Aiden Bonar.

021219_Gallery8.jpg

Ben McKay.

021219_Gallery9.jpg

Paul Ahern and Ben Brown.

021219_Gallery10.jpg

Luke McDonald is running again.

021219_Gallery11.jpg

Tristan Xerri breaks Shaun Atley's tackle.

021219_Gallery12.jpg

Ben Cunnington evades Joel Crocker.

021219_Gallery13.jpg

Aiden Bonar gets a handball off under pressure.

021219_Gallery14.jpg

WWorking hard.

021219_Gallery16.jpg

TTarryn Thomas tackles Ben McKay.

There was plenty of excitement for not only the draftees, but within the current playing list, with Trent Dumont looking forward to working with his new teammates.

“You come into the environment with your eyes open, just trying to take everything in like a sponge,” he told North Media.

“Us boys will just doing what we can to make them feel as comfortable as possible.”

WATCH: Rhyce Shaw visits Jack Mahony
The memories of being selected still resonate with Dumont, who was selected with pick 30 in the 2013 Draft.

“They’ve (the recruits) got a story they have to write now, and it’s an exciting time for them,” he said.

“There’s a lot of hard work ahead, but we as a group have to be there for them now and to support them as best we can.

“The advice I’d give would be to be as open to learning as much as possible. Sit up with the coaches, learn from them, and get to know your teammates, as that connection helps to receive feedback.

“They’ll hopefully add plenty to this club in the future, and we can share success together.”

Head of development, Gavin Brown said that the first week is likely to be a light one for the youngsters.

“It’s a low-key week for them. It’s an introduction to the program, and they will join in training where they can,” he said.

“We’ll slowly build them up until we feel we can fully integrate them into the program.”

The first-year players head to Rye for a training camp on Monday afternoon.

Check out the best photos from the session below.

021219_Gallery5.jpg

Jack Ziebell.

021219_Gallery6.jpg

Josh Walker listens to Jade Rawlings.

021219_Gallery7.jpg

Robbie Tarrant and Aiden Bonar.

021219_Gallery8.jpg

Ben McKay.

021219_Gallery9.jpg

Paul Ahern and Ben Brown.

021219_Gallery10.jpg

Luke McDonald is running again.

021219_Gallery11.jpg

Tristan Xerri breaks Shaun Atley's tackle.

021219_Gallery12.jpg

Ben Cunnington evades Joel Crocker.

021219_Gallery13.jpg

Aiden Bonar gets a handball off under pressure.

021219_Gallery14.jpg

WWorking hard.

021219_Gallery16.jpg

TTarryn Thomas tackles Ben McKay.
Bonar is almost deceptively tall next to Taz.

Bonar, LDU, Thomas, Ahern, Scott and Simpkin all individually offer something a bit different as our young midfielders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back