Training Training thread - news and live reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah misread this. If we are talking solely about their inside mid abilities then I agree completely. It also probably puts paid to my thoughts about how to compare Phillips to a current midfielder. I had initially considered Lachie Neale, but I don't think Neale is brute force as a mid

Similar to J. Selwood when he first started

Ah misread this. If we are talking solely about their inside mid abilities then I agree completely. It also probably puts paid to my thoughts about how to compare Phillips to a current midfielder. I had initially considered Lachie Neale, but I don't think Neale is brute force as a mid
Gotta love Bigfooty pre-season hype...
If he is Lachie Neale (Brownlow Medalist) with more brute force, we may just about have the best player in a generation on our hands!!
Maybe just temper expectations a little, until he plays an actual AFL game...

Last edited:
If he is Lachie Neale (Brownlow Medalist) with more brute force, we may just about have the best player in generation on our hands!!

Lachie Neale is an overrated footballer.

I have hopes that Will turns out better.

You're 190cm and your head is 8cm high?

gavin-urquhart-in-action-during-a-kangaroos-afl-training-session-held-picture-id82594068

If he is Lachie Neale (Brownlow Medalist) with more brute force, we may just about have the best player in a generation on our hands!!

Footy clubs sell hope in the off season and when it comes to Bigfooty that's a bit like selling smack on Victoria Street. We want to buy what they are selling and we want a regular fix.

Footy clubs sell hope in the off season and when it comes to Bigfooty that's a bit like selling smack on Victoria Street. We want to buy what they are selling and we want a regular fix.

You buy smack on Victoria Street?

I reckon he is a tougher version of G Ablett🤗

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think labelling Will as a brute force inside midfielder is doing him a disservice. On what I've seen from him I think there is more subtlety and craft to his game than Cunners' outright brutality. Will is certainly better on the spread. SLF's point re Will being a MIDFIELDER as opposed to being pigeonholed as an inside or outside midfielder I think is a good one. Just put him in the centre square and back him to do the right thing. He doesn't need to be over coached

He does the inside midfield stuff at an elite level and does the outside midfield stuff at an elite level.

His physical size is interesting too. He's already big enough to match it with anyone in the packs, and he's only going to get bigger.

But he's small and quick enough to escape from Big Mids in tight, yet quick enough to stop others doing it to him, strong enough to tackle and bring anyone down.

I'm really struggling to find a comparison for him. He's just a gem.

He does the inside midfield stuff at an elite level and does the outside midfield stuff at an elite level.

His physical size is interesting too. He's already big enough to match it with anyone in the packs, and he's only going to get bigger.

But he's small and quick enough to escape from Big Mids in tight, yet quick enough to stop others doing it to him, strong enough to tackle and bring anyone down.

Sounds like an upgraded version of Leigh Matthews to me.

They said he was better than Rowell in his underage 2019 finals series. They said this, it was Us who scoffed at the concept, but who knows? Maybe it’s our turn to finally pick up a kid (other than Carey in 1992) who is basically a freak from Day 1 who also sets the physical tone.

I was a tad concerned about his kicking but you and Adolph have established beyond any doubt at all, it’s not a weakness but a strength.

They said he was better than Rowell in his underage 2019 finals series. They said this, it was Us who scoffed at the concept, but who knows? Maybe it’s our turn to finally pick up a kid (other than Carey in 1992) who is basically a freak from Day 1 who also sets the physical tone.

I was a tad concerned about his kicking but you and Adolph have established beyond any doubt at all, it’s not a weakness but a strength.

Haven't seen any issues with his kicking but the lad himself says it is an area he's keen to improve.

Suspect he's not the sort to be satisfied with any aspect of his game ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back