Training Training Thread - News & Live Reports II

Remove this Banner Ad

HS reporting we are playing saints in a scratch match - but from what I can tell, nothing about a specific date. Can anyone shed any light?

I hope it’s true, it could really test us against a top 8 side (if they do choose to play predominantly their best 22 players) would love to see a sneak peek of how our set up and play style is going to be.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I hope it’s true, it could really test us against a top 8 side (if they do choose to play predominantly their best 22 players) would love to see a sneak peek of how our set up and play style is going to be.

It will be interesting to see how the Saints stack up. Whether they have improved or will slide back down the ladder.

Not sure we will get a complete picture of the game style or plan, but it will be interesting what areas have changed and improved.

It will be interesting to see how the Saints stack up. Whether they have improved or will slide back down the ladder.

Not sure we will get a complete picture of the game style or plan, but it will be interesting what areas have changed and improved.

I would say the saints will still be contenders especially with the inclusions of crouch and higgins, but who knows really lol

I’m just craving good footy, the boys look good on the track just hope they can replicate the intensity

Two whole pages before culture war sh*t starts rearing it's head fmd lol. Can we please just not?

Something I forgot to mention and similar to what ferbal said regarding Richmond, Roos talked about identifying a company's values and orientating actions and behaviours around that. We get a lot of talk about the shinboner spirit, will be interesting to see if the new regime properly adopts it. Use it right and it would be a very powerful motivator and cohesive tool.
What i said about free flowing comms wasn't about culture war bullshit.

Compare that attitude to what seems to have happened under Scott and it seems like comms flowed one way - down the chain - and as a result players weren't secure in the knowledge of what to do if something wasn't working in the strategy or specific game plan. I think that in itself explains things like Atley's repeated runs to nowhere and then that sideways panic. The incident where Scott bagged the umps over LT strikes me as another symptom of this. The way we played so stagnantly last year as well.

And I think it'll suit players like Phillips and Lazzarro who seem to be switched on above the shoulders as much as anything else.

if you look at what is sposed to have happened at Richmond ... players make themselves vulnerable to the group who then accept them and reinforce that whatever the vulnerability was, its all cool, they are accepted and free to focus on footy without having to worry about that other stuff. It creates an environment where players are more likely to speak up about what they think works or doesn't work. And why. And furthermore when everyone in a team is responsible for the standards of the team then everyone can tell everyone else to pull their fingers out and if it works thats a positive interaction and people respond by pulling their fingers out.

This should work with the shinboner spirit idea. Its not just a phrase, it does encompass a set of behaviours onfield, maybe not off field as much, (tho that could be the next phase of its evolution,) but definitely onfield, during games and training.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I would say the saints will still be contenders especially with the inclusions of crouch and higgins, but who knows really lol

I’m just craving good footy, the boys look good on the track just hope they can replicate the intensity

I want to see what Noble is going to do, and how well the players convey it.

Ford's out there training.

147057030_110941984237136_6445542321411743614_n.jpg

May 8, 2003
Hamish Paradise
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Islanders, Nuggets
Focus more on strengths than weaknesses. You dwell on negative things longer than positive, and when you point out and trying to fix a player's weakness too much, rather than reinforcing their strengths, you're not always doing them the favour you think you are.
This is where Brad fell down badly IMO. Defined players by what they couldn't do.
He wanted Larkey gone because he didn't think he was good enough defensively.

spurs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 2, 2003
Perth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
THFC, Claremont Tigers
That is fu**en excellent. Seriously Roos is good. You have to hear him in depth to understand but he gets what is going on and how to make things work. if he can translate his words into actions or knows people who can (ie Noble) then we will benefit.

Listening to that its easy to see the picture of the footy departments strategies, mostly off field. So not so much in the gameday detail but in building an organisation that is internally resilient and can function without reliance on particular individuals. Its how Richmond works. They have ... someone posted it here after one of their last two GF wins... I can't remember exactly but it was wtte of discipline, commitment and intensity. If we have him consulting to just keep our focus on what he is describing we will spend soe time at the pointy end of the ladder and give ourselves our best shot at multiple flags.

As an aside I think the way he talks about "safe" environments is good. It gets alot of sh*t as a concept but only from people who don't get it. The SNAFU principle - "communication is only possible between equals" - is a problem in hierarchies, so being safe to criticise anyone or at least speak your mind is really important. Its not about protecting snowflakes, its about creating the same environment in your organisation that you get in a healthy society. Where people can speak freely whatever their status. Organisations function better when the information flow isn't impeded by artificial barriers. This is the sort of sh*t dilettantes like Jordan Peterson don't understand when they bang on about how great heirarchies are. In wild primate societies (we're domesticated) it seems alot of energy is spent by the leaders (alpha males) trying to undermine the hierarchy they control in order to do their job and to make their society function.
This is what lets Cricket Australia down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1053521

I’m not terminally unemployed, just grossly unfit...

Seriously though, my bad for last night. Should have left it alone.
I don't think you were inanely rambling.

And generally its not off topic.

ie We should start seeing this stuff at training.

Noble seems to be a hands off leader in exactly that way. Gets delegation and lets people do their thing unless he needs to step in (that last bit is what matters imo - delegate till you can't afford too.). At least that is what my impression is so far. So all that stuff Roos talks about in that vid TAO posted should manifest at training.

it should lead to situations where everyone drives success at training, where everyone knows what is expected and goes about their business and the coaches just provide feedback and correction to techniques or set ups where necessary. This is part of what "Trust the process" really means. If everyone buys in to knowing what the plan is and working toward it - that is the process and the coach can trust that people will follow it. (ie Everyone should trust the process.) You don't need an overly authoritarian control system cos everyone in the organisation wants to make things work.

So Noble (and maybe Blakey) can put more time into "... identifying and focusing on the minutia of the processes that lead to success."

So what you see at training should be the players driving the system and the coaching staff adding feedback during (if absolutely necessary cos you want the players driving that sort of thing IMO) and afterward (primarily).

The more the players can provide correction to their own or each others mistakes and system errors the better it works. Cos that will translate to game days and imo that is exactly how to deal with the problems we have had over the last decade. Remember all those situations where players onfield were unable to change the games momentum - losing leads and not being able to respond and not being unable to come back against opposition leads? The ability to analyse what was happening and adjust to it on field was lacking in the Scott years and (imo obviously) I'm very excited that it seems to be something we have tried to solve.

New_Roo

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

By reading the mentioned article sounds like it will be sometime the weekend beg 26th feb.... which was when the first community games were due so just replaced that with scratchies

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

By reading the mentioned article sounds like it will be sometime the weekend beg 26th feb.... which was when the first community games were due so just replaced that with scratchies

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oooh that makes sense, thanks!

I don't think you were inanely rambling.

And generally its not off topic.

ie We should start seeing this stuff at training.

Noble seems to be a hands off leader in exactly that way. Gets delegation and lets people do their thing unless he needs to step in (that last bit is what matters imo - delegate till you can't afford too.). At least that is what my impression is so far. So all that stuff Roos talks about in that vid TAO posted should manifest at training.

it should lead to situations where everyone drives success at training, where everyone knows what is expected and goes about their business and the coaches just provide feedback and correction to techniques or set ups where necessary. This is part of what "Trust the process" really means. If everyone buys in to knowing what the plan is and working toward it - that is the process and the coach can trust that people will follow it. (ie Everyone should trust the process.) You don't need an overly authoritarian control system cos everyone in the organisation wants to make things work.

So Noble (and maybe Blakey) can put more time into "... identifying and focusing on the minutia of the processes that lead to success."

So what you see at training should be the players driving the system and the coaching staff adding feedback during (if absolutely necessary cos you want the players driving that sort of thing IMO) and afterward (primarily).

The more the players can provide correction to their own or each others mistakes and system errors the better it works. Cos that will translate to game days and imo that is exactly how to deal with the problems we have had over the last decade. Remember all those situations where players onfield were unable to change the games momentum - losing leads and not being able to respond and not being unable to come back against opposition leads? The ability to analyse what was happening and adjust to it on field was lacking in the Scott years and (imo obviously) I'm very excited that it seems to be something we have tried to solve.
The training approach used by Noble is very similar to mission-type tactics.

In mission-type tactics, the military commander gives subordinate leaders a clearly defined goal (the objective), the forces needed to accomplish that goal and a time frame within which the goal must be reached. The subordinate leaders then implement the order independently. The subordinate leader is given, to a large extent, the planning initiative and a freedom in execution which allows a high degree of flexibility at the operational and tactical levels of command. Mission-type orders free the higher leadership from tactical details.

Long story-short, it is a very effective leadership and training style with proven results if done correctly. Looking forward to seeing the results of it.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne

In mission-type tactics, the military commander gives subordinate leaders a clearly defined goal (the objective), the forces needed to accomplish that goal and a time frame within which the goal must be reached. The subordinate leaders then implement the order independently. The subordinate leader is given, to a large extent, the planning initiative and a freedom in execution which allows a high degree of flexibility at the operational and tactical levels of command. Mission-type orders free the higher leadership from tactical details.

Long story-short, it is a very effective leadership and training style with proven results if done correctly. Looking forward to seeing the results of it.

Inane military ramblings aside, nice one!

justroyal

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne

It sounds like he is more or less just a lazy campaigner.

Kiddding.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back