Training Training Thread - News & Live Reports II

Seems to be a bit of a forgotten man with all the shiny new kids about, but given Noble's emphasis on speed and quick ball movement, assuming he's fit and completely over the surgery, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Hally right in the mix for a spot in the Round 1 side.

Who's with me?

stadium-165406_640.jpg

Seems to be a bit of a forgotten man with all the shiny new kids about, but given Noble's emphasis on speed and quick ball movement, assuming he's fit and completely over the surgery, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Hally right in the mix for a spot in the Round 1 side.

Who's with me?

stadium-165406_640.jpg

I'm sitting right next to you TOD! :heart: He's in my Rd 1 team for the competition thread. And I was just down checking the hovercraft earlier, and Bernie has polished all the chrome. I think he used his giant mittens.

Who's with me?

stadium-165406_640.jpg

In this team I think Hall will shine, he really does have talent but with last years form and his mass in his throat it really stopped him.

He does look bloody good in the training clips I saw, so I don’t see why he can’t be in the round 1 starting side.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

New_Roo

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
In this team I think Hall will shine, he really does have talent but with last years form and his mass in his throat it really stopped him.

He does look bloody good in the training clips I saw, so I don’t see why he can’t be in the round 1 starting side.

Agree think there is a place there for hall... you would have to think it would be one of the fwd spots as can't see him taking any of the mid spots.... other than a wing but be competition for those

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hall was arguably our most damaging forward of centre midfielder last year, and with Polec & Stephenson playing, I expect him to be better.
Spreading the load will help him immensely. The development of Jy, LDU and a few of the 2-4 year players, alongside the return of Cunners and the rejuvenation of our HB line, will finally allow Hall to be the icing on the cake like he was meant to be.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Spreading the load will help him immensely. The development of Jy, LDU and a few of the 2-4 year players, alongside the return of Cunners and the rejuvenation of our HB line, will finally allow Hall to be the icing on the cake like he was meant to be.

Summed up well. If we're generating from the clearances & contests then they become seriously damaging players.

The Anvil

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don’t catch up enough, missed numerous pages of this in the now locked thread that I can’t reply to and what I can is about Hall.

So for Hall, the bloke can play but so can most of the list. Going to be interesting if we are low on injuries.

Fish Sticks

All Australian
Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I dropped past Arden Street last week (Tuesday) to try & catch the boys training. But alas, they were only doing running drills for the 15 mins I was watching. Hall looks in ripping nick... he looks to have slimmed down quite a bit. He is still a deadset unit. Hoping for big things from him this year.
If he can get a good run of injuries & form, it will vastly improve our team!

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
I expect Hall to be exactly what he has been over his entire AFL tenure.

Flashy but wildly inconsistent.
10 years in the AFL system. Unlikely much will change now. You cross your fingers and hope he turns up if he's picked in the team.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Who's with me?

stadium-165406_640.jpg
With you 100%. I dropped down to training on Friday (though didn’t post about it) and was really impressed by him. Had real presence, power and speed.

Went down right in front of me at one stage with what looked like a bad injury but after about 15 min recovering with some treatment on the sidelines seemed to make a miraculous recovery and went back on to finish the intra club. So all good it seems. I know he has a lot of critics but his positives IMO far outweigh the negatives.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
10 years in the AFL system. Unlikely much will change now. You cross your fingers and hope he turns up if he's picked in the team.

Has he at any point in his ten years played outside a dominant midfield? We know he is not the inside bull that swings the momentum of the game, but he certainly could help a team to capitalise on that momentum and turn it into results on the scoreboard.

I think back to that play against Adelaide where he marked the ball from Taz's kick out, assessed that he had Crouch covered for speed, and just burnt him before hitting a perfect 50m+ kick that allowed CZ to take the mark running towards the goal without breaking stride. Who else on our list could've executed something like that? Only LDU or maybe TT have the tools in my mind.

If a 21-year-old had the season the Hall did last year we would be quite excited about them. I am actually thinking Hall is one of the more interesting players on our list heading into the season. Will he consolidate a spot in the best 22 and thrive playing outside a vastly improved core midfield of Cunners, Simpkin, LDU, Jed, and Phillips? Will he form part of what could become a very good midfield for the VFL team with Hall and Tyson providing the experience and Powell, Lazarro, Mahoney et al. providing the youthful excitement?

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Has he at any point in his ten years played outside a dominant midfield? We know he is not the inside bull that swings the momentum of the game, but he certainly could help a team to capitalise on that momentum and turn it into results on the scoreboard.

I think back to that play against Adelaide where he marked the ball from Taz's kick out, assessed that he had Crouch covered for speed, and just burnt him before hitting a perfect 50m+ kick that allowed CZ to take the mark running towards the goal without breaking stride. Who else on our list could've executed something like that? Only LDU or maybe TT have the tools in my mind.

If a 21-year-old had the season the Hall did last year we would be quite excited about them. I am actually thinking Hall is one of the more interesting players on our list heading into the season. Will he consolidate a spot in the best 22 and thrive playing outside a vastly improved core midfield of Cunners, Simpkin, LDU, Jed, and Phillips? Will he form part of what could become a very good midfield for the VFL team with Hall and Tyson providing the experience and Powell, Lazarro, Mahoney et al. providing the youthful excitement?
He's got ability but it's 10 years and we're still clutching at sparodic moments and wondering if we get it just so to enable him to reach any sort of consistency.

He's on the list this year and he'll play some games given the state of our list. He's the sort of player that a poor to mediocre team will play in hope. A good side wouldn't.

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hall was arguably our most damaging forward of centre midfielder last year, and with Polec & Stephenson playing, I expect him to be better.

No one is denying we would be better with him in the team, but the Bradley Scott approach hasn’t worked previously, so the question is, would we be any closer to a premiership? Or are you by extension, initiating a dead cat bounce type false-dawn season, which tickles our balls a smidge, but doesn’t get us any closer to finding out if we have the bare bones of a premiership side.

If Philips isn’t ready to go Round 1, honestly why did we take him? We needed a full forward more. We needed outside class more. I flat out refuse to accept that we selected the most ready made midfielder, the least risk of all draftees only to play him out of position or in the VFL (unless he is hopeless in the practice matches). We can’t be that dumb. And if he’s not good enough to get a game in our side, then FMD, I must be watching the wrong team.

I really don’t mind Hally, and if we were on the verge of Top 4, say 2014-2016, he’d have been sensational. But we are a developing side and front-running impostors have no business eating up development games of our next generation, not in a development year where we are effectively praying for Horne. Unfortunately that appears to be best case scenario and would represent ‘our premiership’ this year.

Horne, LDU, Simpkin, Philips for the next decade beats winning meaningless games with 29 year olds. Sorry Hally, but you are depth only. If Polec is out, you are more than adequate cover.

A little piece of me dies every time I see him run out, I don’t know why.

Agenda 21

Club Legend
Mar 9, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Why can't we replace Comben, with Skinner, now? Why does it have to be mid-season?

Isn't the former on the LTIL?

Back