This is how the teams lined up based on what my mate saw out there today

Whites

Hayden Corr McDonald
Atley Tarrant Ziebell
Powell Tyson Scott
Campbell LDU Simpkin
Taylor Larkey Stephenson
Thomas Zurhaar Turner
Lazzaro J.Walker Anderson (inj) Goldstein (inj)

Blue

Appleby McKay VFL (unknown)
Bosenavulagi Young P.Walker
W.Walker Phillips Menadue
Skinner Hall VFL (Jones)
Spicer Ford VFL (Watkins)
3 unknown VFL lads???

Whites

Hayden Corr McDonald
Atley J.Walker Ziebell
Powell Tyson Scott
Campbell LDU Simpkin
Taylor Larkey Stephenson
Thomas Zurhaar Turner
Lazzaro Anderson (inj) Goldstein (inj)

Blue

Skinner Hall VFL (Jones)
3 unknown VFL lads???
didnt realise we were that short on numbers with blokes not in full training, i remember going to training last month and only dumont and comben were injured

injuries piling up

Ziebell was a standout across half back. Took about 8 intercept marks in the 30-40m zone on a windy day and hit up a target straight away, every time.

This will be invisible to the WBP.

Had one howler early from a kick out which came back for a Ford mark and goal.

This is the only thing the WBP will see and they'll repeat it 40 times in the post match threads.

I would be betting on a VERY mobile forward line in 2021.

Correct.

Stephenson was deep forward early at times and Zurhaar was deep forward in the last quarter. McKay took both.

We used to have land of the giants back in the day but late in the game, Larkey was in the ruck and it was land of the medium forwards with no Garner or Ziebell.

Correct.

Stephenson was deep forward early at times and Zurhaar was deep forward in the last quarter. McKay took both.

We used to have land of the giants back in the day but late in the game, Larkey was in the ruck and it was land of the medium forwards with no Garner or Ziebell.

We had to because of the defence tactics, but a more stationary defence would require greater midfield and forward mobility.

Did you get the impression that the defence held it's structure more often than in previous seasons?

didnt realise we were that short on numbers with blokes not in full training, i remember going to training last month and only dumont and comben were injured

injuries piling up
Yep, Scott came off for a concussion test late in the game.

Polec and Perez will return to full training soon.

This is my main concern with our forward line setup and having Larkey as our primary key forward.
Yep, asking too much from him. I would feel more comfortable if he was the no.2 guy at this stage. The list management team got this wrong, we needed a mature key forward, even if it was just a stop gap.

Rotating goldie and campbell up forward could be a sign that the coaches are worried about the position. If they are going to do that then it should be the big X, not Campbell.

Yep, asking too much from him. I would feel more comfortable if he was the no.2 guy at this stage. The list management team got this wrong, we needEd a mature key forward, even if it was just a stop gap.

Rotating goldie and campbell up forward could be a sign that the coaches are worried about the position. If they are going to do that then it should be the big X, not Campbell.
Josh Walker

Did you get the impression that the defence held it's structure more often than in previous seasons?

Yes, Corr is a gun.

Seems to me McKay is our full back with a job to negate which means Corr and Tarrant can do much more than just defend.

Based on the white team, Ziebell, McDonald, Atley and Kyron will round out the back line.

Solid.

And I expect we will intercept the ball higher in our backline and rebound better. This provided that the midfield is more than a bunch of turnstiles.

I even saw a Tarrant shouting (forward pressure) to set up a zone for a kick out from a set shot that was almost certain to be a goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whites

Hayden Corr McDonald
Atley Tarrant Ziebell
Powell Tyson Scott
Campbell LDU Simpkin
Taylor Larkey Stephenson
Thomas Zurhaar Turner

Blue

Skinner Hall VFL (Jones)
3 unknown VFL lads???

Swap Hall with Tyson and it’s pretty close.

Tyson was with the blues and Hall with the Whites from memory

In regards to Phillips.

He’s still adjusting to the pace, that’s quite obvious.

I think the play is too quick for him at the moment, ball doesn’t sit in packs or on the ground nearly as much as NAB League and he missed all of last year.

I think he will start the first 4-5 rounds in the VFL.

He’s very clean when he gets it, just isn’t involved either defensively or with the ball all that much at the moment. A tell tale sign.

Fingers crossed Anderson is ok. He was having a ripper pre-season by all accounts. His hardness around the ball will be invaluable while Jy and LDU are still coming on.

Same goes for Goldy too. Our ruck stocks are not great IMO. Campbell can be serviceable tho, at least for a little while

Ahem..................

Well, I was actually there and didn't see that once. Albeit I left midway through the third.

He was playing as an attacking midfielder for sure, starting centre bounces in the forward 50.

But I didn't see him start in the goal square once.

You did go right? So you're making informed commentary? Not just relying on tabloid media.

Whites

Hayden Corr McDonald
Atley Tarrant Ziebell
Powell Tyson Scott
Campbell LDU Simpkin
Taylor Larkey Stephenson
Thomas Zurhaar Turner

Blue

Skinner Hall VFL (Jones)
3 unknown VFL lads???

Tyson was blue first half.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back