Training Training Thread - News & Live Reports II

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
His kicking for goal in recent times and the hack kicks from the contest have coloured peoples perception towards Jack's kicking. With time and space he is an excellent kick, both with penetration and with touch.

Exactly this. When busting out of the midfield, under pressure he tends to hack it and dump it on the boot

When he slows down and takes that extra 2-3 seconds he has a nice kick

Exactly this. When busting out of the midfield, under pressure he tends to hack it and dump it on the boot

When he slows down and takes that extra 2-3 seconds he has a nice kick
Pretty sure there’s pressure in the back line too.
See how we go when things go up a few notches, with a team full of coordinated, high quality, quick opposition.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
FMD, if only Jack had some Tarryn Thomas supporters. :D

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
However, that hack kick under pressure had me on blood pressure tablets years before my poor diet and drink would have kicked in!!!

He was playing to instructions.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Pretty sure there’s pressure in the back line too.
See how we go when things go up a few notches, with a team full of coordinated, high quality, quick opposition.
That's a reasonable point, but I'm guessing he'll have a fair few more disposals than usual being the result of marks in the back half or kickouts, which are when we should see him thrive in regards to disposal. Doubly so given the rule changes.

Personally I'm just glad we're seeing what we are from him right now. Those skilled penetrative kicks, and intercept/contested marking, are still in his arsenal. Zero reason he can't bring them to the fore in the real thing. Full steam ahead with operation Defender as far as I'm concerned.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
So we’re the guys kicking backwards in the 2000’s but I’m still scarred from that too!

Do you honestly think Jack would continue to do it if it was against the wishes of his coach?

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
It’s preseason - good signs from Jack but let’s see when he’s got 3-4 speedsters pressuring him

Mason wood was a Brownlow winner by preseason ability.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
It’s preseason - good signs from Jack but let’s see when he’s got 3-4 speedsters pressuring him

Mason wood was a Brownlow winner by preseason ability.

It's like when Melbourne supporters were cheering that Ben Brown kicked six in a half in a praccy... guys, that's your defence.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Jacks kicking is fine when it's instinctive. In fact it's bordering on elite.

When he gets overly methodical and systematic, then the frays appear.

His first instinct when he had any ounce of pressure is to throw it on the boot and barrel it forward. When he was playing in the middle his kicking when at the coal face was under 12’s garbage.

It’s when he has time and space that his kicking is fine if not excellent. Problem is because he is as slow as treacle he never found that space in the midfield.

It is going to be interesting to see how he goes when he has someone like Charlie Cameron piling on the pressure

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
His first instinct when he had any ounce of pressure is to throw it on the boot and barrel it forward. When he was playing in the middle his kicking when at the coal face was under 12’s garbage.

It’s when he has time and space that his kicking is fine if not excellent. Problem is because he is as slow as treacle he never found that space in the midfield.

It is going to be interesting to see how he goes when he has someone like Charlie Cameron piling on the pressure

Invent all the conformation bias you like. It has no effect on my view.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Invent all the conformation bias you like. It has no effect on my view.

No confirmation bias at all. Perhaps it is you that suffers confirmation bias with the fact that you don’t see that his decision making and subsequent skill was below average when he was playing as a midfielder?

As I said he is a solid to excellent field kick when he has time and space but that is a rare thing when you are playing in the backline.

I’d much prefer McDonald and Tazz (similar to the role Thommo played in his last few years) distributing the footy from the back half.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
No confirmation bias at all. Perhaps it is you that suffers confirmation bias with the fact that you don’t see that his decision making and subsequent skill was below average when he was playing as a midfielder?

As I said he is a solid to excellent field kick when he has time and space but that is a rare thing when you are playing in the backline.

I’d much prefer McDonald and Tazz (similar to the role Thommo played in his last few years) distributing the footy from the back half.

I don't agree or care for your opinion on the matter. It has no effect on my view.

Back