Transfer discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Did someone say synchronised press briefing? Local journos confirming what the French have been saying for weeks. Negotiations to bring Fekir to Anfield are advanced, to be finalised after the final. Our likely starting front 6 for 2018/19 is looking v exciting.

-----Henderson-----
----Keita---Fekir----
Salah-Firmino-Mané

+ Milner, Wijnaldum, Ox, Lallana, Ings, Solanke. Need another DM to rotate with Henderson and maybe another pacey wide forward, though the latter maybe not as much of a priority given the versatility of our current mid/attacking options.

Would have thought Liverpool's number 1 transfer target should have been another CB to partner with Virgil.

Fekir is a great get though, there'll be plenty of Liverpool goals next season.

Why?

They're still relying on Lovren.

I think a new CB is more important for them than Fekir but there's no reason they can't get both.
And lovren has been fine. Certainly isn't a priority I wouldn't think.

You can’t go into a season with just two quality CB’s - if indeed we are saying Lovren is now quality. Liverpool’s defence creaks when they are under the cosh - that second game against Roma they were hugely stretched in the second half. Once their midfield and attackers run out of steam (which they invariably do) you see the pressure mount on the defence and they need one or two cooler heads back there if they are going to be a serious threat to City

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why? He’s our worst CB. We need another good central defender for next season.
I'm willing to back him in. He wasn't in the best of form/fitness in the 2nd half of the season but I thought he was quality in his first 18 months before VVD came in and while Lovren was getting abused by everyone. I want to see how he does after another pre-season and hope he's not carrying any little niggles.

We have Matip to come back from injury, personally I see him as a superior CB to Lovren when fit but I know that's debated amongst Liverpool fans. Joe Gomez also developing nicely.

I personally would've sold Klavan and brought in a better quality CB to slot into the rotation instead of him, but it sounds like he's in line for a new contract so maybe not.

There've been rumours we're interested in the likes of Alderweireld, Tarkowski & Lascelles but nothing concrete.

As has been pointed out, 45 mins v Roma aside, our defending hasn't really been an issue for a while now.

Even when it was, I always felt our in-game tactics were a greater contributor to this than personnel. Having every player in the team on the same page in terms of knowing when to commit numbers forward and when to sit is far more important than changing a single player. We were just too gung ho and gave our CBs too much to do at times.

Would have thought Liverpool's number 1 transfer target should have been another CB to partner with Virgil.

Fekir is a great get though, there'll be plenty of Liverpool goals next season.
A couple of decent CMs/CDMs imo should be their priority

But they're always short of a wide forward or an attacking mid it seems :rolleyes:

If Liverpool get Fekir, would say Lallana be after regular first team football somewhere else potentially?
I think he would stay. Loves being at the club, and will want to get consistently fit before anything else. He was the biggest improver under Klopp too. The English contingent seem pretty solid, although Clyne might have a slight worry considering TAA will surely keep demanding regular game-time.

A couple of decent CMs/CDMs imo should be their priority

But they're always short of a wide forward or an attacking mid it seems :rolleyes:

We'll definitely be looking at a DM with Can off to Juve. Previously linked with Jorginho but it looks like he's off to City. We've also just signed a bloke called Naby Keita who's a reasonably decent footballer. Sign Fekir and our options for the midfield 3 would be:

DM: Henderson, new signing
CM: Keita, Fekir, Ox, Lallana, Milner, Wijnaldum

If Firmino goes down with injury at any point, Ings is our only backup CF option. It's definitely a need. Fortunately Fekir fills that gap for us as well.

I'd have thought our priorities this summer will be to sign a defender, 3x CMs (incl Keita and Fekir appears likely) and a wide forward.

Last edited:
We'll definitely be looking at a DM with Can off to Juve. We've also just signed a bloke called Naby Keita who's a reasonably decent footballer. Sign Fekir and our options for the midfield 3 would be:

DM: Henderson, new signing
CM: Keita, Fekir, Ox, Lallana, Milner, Wijnaldum

If Firmino goes down with injury at any point, Ings is our only backup CF option. It's definitely a need. Fortunately Fekir fills that gap for us as well.
Imo continuing down the converted attacking mids/wingers into central mids route is not the way to go. These players have to keep learning new sets of skills, particularly the defensive side of things, can these players keep on adapting to a new position and new sets of skills? Imo it becomes overkill eventually.

Keita fits the bill of a much needed 6/8/box to box but you need another 2 blokes of quality imo on top of him to challenge, one of them has to be an upgrade on Can and be better than Henderson even.

Lallana former AM now CM
Wijnauldum former AM/winger now CM
Ox former winger now CM

Henderson imo has a skill set to be a better advanced mid than 6/8 and while you don't have Coutinho anymore he absolutely was a converted attacking mid product of your current system. How many more of these types do you need in your team?

Imo Milner is the only versatile player in your squad with the right set of tools to dig in when the going gets tough having been a utility for a very long time.

I feel having more players with better defensive skills in midfield will see you guys protecting the back 4 better and thus should see you guys stop dropping stupid points against weak opposition. Sure everyone can press without having the ball, but there's more to midfield play than just that, positioning, tackling etc are just as important also. I still feel you have not properly replaced Gerrard, Alonso and Mascherano at all.

Now on your false 9 conundrum, if you want to spend mega money on Fekir then why not go all in on Griezmann instead, to me he would make the most sense for your system. If not then Mertens would be a great medium term option I feel and for some absurd reason he's linked to Schalke at the moment. Firmino is versatile enough to play anywhere across a front three/four so a Mertens type coming in would help boost your striking depth while also fitting them all in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back