Transfer discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not convinced Sancho has burned his bridges with us. We weren't happy with how he acted but by all accounts we've maintained an interest in his development. Why would we do that if we wouldn't consider his return.

The fact that he"s now acting up a bit at Dortmund would be a worry though. Getting to be a bit of a pattern.

Don't think he'd have any problems with us either. He's said in the past that he valued his time at the club and has no issues with anyone there.

Was Sancho a special case though given his obvious talent. Maybe you should have guaranteed him playing time.

Kinda like Sterling. We were just regularly playing him because of his sheet talent.
I don't think we'd be able to guarantee him regular game time now, let alone two years ago.

The fact that he"s now acting up a bit at Dortmund would be a worry though. Getting to be a bit of a pattern.
As was mentioned earlier, it could be agent influence and he's not mature enough to realise what it looks like.

It certainly seems like something an agent would suggest to try and force a transfer. After all, they get a huge chunk of change every time it happens

I'm not convinced Sancho has burned his bridges with us. We weren't happy with how he acted but by all accounts we've maintained an interest in his development. Why would we do that if we wouldn't consider his return.

Don't think he'd have any problems with us either. He's said in the past that he valued his time at the club and has no issues with anyone there.
Does he have a buyback?

Does he have a buyback?
There's conflicting reports. Some say we definitely do, others say definitely not, some say we have a right to match any other offer.

Personally, I don't think we have one. If we put a buyback in it wouldn't have been for more than £50m. And if we had that I reckon we'd be pushing a bit harder, even if it was just to get him back and sell him at a profit.

There is also the old if you're good enough you're old enough. Just using my club as an example cos I know it best. Owen, Fowler, Carragher, Gerrard, Sterling, TAA all were playing regularly by the time they were 18 for the club. Some even at 17...

I don't buy that good enough, old enough. Not many players are good enough to play for a team like City at 18, which is why they'd be better off at a club where they can get their playing time every weekend. Take KDB - his time at Chelsea was a waste of time. He learned his trade at Genk, Bremen and Wolfsburg before he was ready for City. I don't blame Mourinho for not playing him, but he shouldn't have been there at the time.

It's hard to argue with those players you mention and there are 18 year olds who play themselves into the first XI of a top team (such as TAA), but I still feel the majority of top players have improved themselves at smaller clubs first. I don't think 18 year old KDB, Aguero, Silva, Fernandinho... would be regular first team players at City today.

Do you think he has the mentality to get to the highest level or he's maybe not that good?

I'm not sure he has/is TBH when you look at others like Ake, Christensen, RLC, Tammy, Mount, Tomori etc who have been through the same as him yet have gone out, starred elsewhere and made it back to Chelsea. Musonda was never a prodigy in our set up, maybe back home but at Cobham he was just another one of our super talented kids.

He has had 2 or 3 decent locations on loan and failed to make much of an impact(though he's cruelled by injury atm). Once back fit he should be tearing the Dutch League a new one like Mason Mount did as an 18 year old.

I don't know tbh. Belgian journalists/pundits used to say that within Chelsea they saw him as "the" talent of their academy, and he was impressive at youth level. I just think he put the bar too high for himself, expecting to play himself into the first team. It's so much easier to get game time in a smaller league first and get confidence & slowly adjust yourself to a higher level. I reckon Januzaj went the same way. Anything after his debut was a disappointment. I think that's because of mental pressure.

I may be biased here coz I really like the idea of a young player climbing the ladder of clubs and end up at a big club when he's 23 or something. But at the same time you can't argue with your current crop of talents.

Some kids just want to play now and not bide their time on the bench. We've lost a few over the years too.

Not talking about why players want to leave, more a comment on how some choose to go about it.

Magma provided the example of Sancho at City, seems he’s repeating this with Dortmund, we’ve had our own experiences recently with Sterling, Suarez & Coutinho - players and their agents burning bridges on the way out to get what they want.

Clubs are often not blameless in this and I understand the need to maintain a strong ‘not for sale’ position to drive a high sale price and the desperation this might cause for some players, but I suspect a lot of the dickhead behaviour is driven by agents.

I think that was fairly overblown by the media tbh. Late to a couple meetings, was reprimanded, hasn’t set a foot wrong after

It’s easy to say they should be professional, but until you’ve been a 19yo kid with the football world at your feet it’s hard to know how you’ll act. I’ve taught much worse at school

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's conflicting reports. Some say we definitely do, others say definitely not, some say we have a right to match any other offer.

Personally, I don't think we have one. If we put a buyback in it wouldn't have been for more than £50m. And if we had that I reckon we'd be pushing a bit harder, even if it was just to get him back and sell him at a profit.

I think there was a first option on his first contract - but he’s signed a second contract with us earlier in the year and I think that removed the clause

Taking that step from kids to senior football is still one of the hardest things to manage.

I do think too many think there is a right way and a wrong way, it really depends on the individual and the club(s) involved.

Sancho moved and did well, he may well have developed just as well (if not a bit later) by staying. Rabbi Matondo moved to Schalke and hasn't done much at all. That move might still turn out to be a good thing for his development.

For me, Foden is getting a great grounding into the side. He's not playing week in week out, but playing week in week out isn't necessarily a good thing a young kid. He's getting to train under Guardiola, and with players like Silva, KDB. He's been part of a few league title winning teams, and a few cup winning teams already so he is getting that experience under his belt. From memory he played about 1000 minutes at senior level for us last season, and at the start of this season I figured that if he could play double that this season no-one has any reason to worry.

Not sure how he's tracking on that, but he seems to be playing more regularly, and for longer periods in games. I reckon that will continue over the rest of the season. With us effectively out of the title race I could see him getting more league starts as well.

I think there was a first option on his first contract - but he’s signed a second contract with us earlier in the year and I think that removed the clause

Could only remove the clause from a first contract once the original time had expired.

Could only remove the clause from a first contract once the original time had expired.

Not a lot of point having a clause that could be removed just by getting the player to sign another contract.

But like I said I doubt we have a buyback.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the problem is that those 2 is all they've got up front. Their 3rd striker is this young guy who doesn't look ready for a team challenging for Serie A.

Giroud wants to leave to play though as he's worried about his National team spot though. Weird move for him to contemplate is what I mean.

Not good. Do Inter have an obligation to buy him in their loan deal? Would be hard to imagine them taking up an option to buy.
No I don't there is even an option in the deal. We just got some of his wages off the books for a season.

I think the problem is that those 2 is all they've got up front. Their 3rd striker is this young guy who doesn't look ready for a team challenging for Serie A.
Yeah and the other players they rotate through are wingers in Sanchez and Politano

No I don't there is even an option in the deal. We just got some of his wages off the books for a season.

Bloody hell what a nightmare. You'll have to find a way to get rid of him with a contract until 2022. His greed is clear, if he wants to save his career he should chase a move elsewhere on reduced wages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back