Transfer discussion thread

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DBAH0

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
At least I'm not Bobby Madley
Will be interesting to see what happens with the relegated players. Fulham would have some quality, Huddersfield should retain most of their talent.
Seen a lot of talk that we'll be after Mitrovic for 22M.

Don't know if he's mobile enough to play up front on his own, and whether he's a top 10 caliber starting striker though.

Might depend on what happens with Maxi Gomez also from Celta, 20M release clause if Celta are relegated.

Memphis Depay also getting linked with a bit, 30M release clause apparently at Lyon.

Magma

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
any side that made the amount of changes fulham did without bringing in at least 1-2 top quality guys was always going to struggle with continuity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scotland

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
West Coast
Transfer fees are nuts these days.

80m Euro to sign Hernandez which is 2.5 years of Leo Messi in terms of wages.

I'd be interested to see a club only sign players on free transfers and put their money into wages.

SM

Bigfooty Legend
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Hull City, Adelaide United, EH
Transfer fees are nuts these days.

80m Euro to sign Hernandez which is 2.5 years of Leo Messi in terms of wages.

I'd be interested to see a club only sign players on free transfers and put their money into wages.
When you sign a player for free you generally still give them a 'sign on bonus' I believe, which can still be pretty substantial.

SM

Bigfooty Legend
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Hull City, Adelaide United, EH
Common, but rarely in the 50-100m Euro range.

Just seems like an endless wasteful churn by the big clubs to me.
For sure, but there's also a much more limited pool of players who become free transfers, and a lot more competition for them. So the market value of wages for a FA may well be quite a bit higher than a player purchased.

There's a lot of factors, but clubs wouldn't readily be as wasteful (generally speaking) as you're suggesting.

Top Bottom