Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Resigned myself to Leeds losing Raphinha to Liverpool, possibly as soon as January.

Look after him Scousers 😢😢😢

Don't see us going in for him in January as there will be the usual mid season tax. If we are into him we'll wait until the summer before trying to negotiate a deal.

The only way I could see us considering it in January is if we lost 2 or more of our forwards to season ending injuries (touching wood here).

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Don't see us going in for him in January as there will be the usual mid season tax. If we are into him we'll wait until the summer before trying to negotiate a deal.

The only way I could see us considering it in January is if we lost 2 or more of our forwards to season ending injuries (touching wood here).

AFCON is coming up so you'll be pretty light up front for January with Egypt and Senegal probably making deep runs, and you'd be doubled fooked if Jota or Firmino pick up a knock.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
AFCON is coming up so you'll be pretty light up front for January with Egypt and Senegal probably making deep runs, and you'd be doubled fooked if Jota or Firmino pick up a knock.

Jota / Firmino / Origi / Minamino should be enough for January with just 2 PL games. Elliot should also be back by then, he has played the Salah role on the right upfront before.

Last season with all defenders out injured for the rest of the season we signed Kazak on loan and Davies for 1.5m. Thats what FSG thinks of the winter window.

The only thing that might see FSG press the panic button in January is multiple season ending injuries to the front 4.

Jala_86

Finnen
Nov 8, 2021
Norden
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Hammarby IF Manchester United FC
So in other words you are saying United need to bid 180m + Lingard + Martial + Maguire to buy Declan Rice

Want players outside the squad:

Mata + Lingard + Rashford + Martial + McTominay + Pogba + Wan Bissaka well well.

Someone should tell him that the England No. 1 plays not too far from Spurs already.
Please stop traumatising me, from France’s no.1 to England’s no.2

The horror.

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
Spurs would be ideal for him. They should bite Cities hand off for the 120m they were bidding for Kane.
I think he'd choose to go to a better club than Spurs, no offence to them but this guy should/will be going to a trophy challenging side. I know United are s**t atm but this guy, a CM and a new manager(who's decent) and they are challenging on all fronts. Plus Spurs aren't selling Kane.

I would have been happy to sign him instead of Rom, he's quality.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
Vlahovic has Atletico written all over him. He'd suit Simeone down to a tee and Suarez and Griezmann aren't getting any younger.
Offered 60m Euros last summer and had a deal agreed with Vlahovic himself, but Fiorentina's president didn't want to sell. Unfortunately for him he hasn't been able to get the player to sign a new contract though.

I agree that he'd fit really well at Atletico along side any of Griezmann, Joao Felix or Angel Correa, but I doubt EPL teams could be outbid, and we'd need to offload a few players to be able to afford it

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Offered 60m Euros last summer and had a deal agreed with Vlahovic himself, but Fiorentina's president didn't want to sell. Unfortunately for him he hasn't been able to get the player to sign a new contract though.

I agree that he'd fit really well at Atletico along side any of Griezmann, Joao Felix or Angel Correa, but I doubt EPL teams could be outbid, and we'd need to offload a few players to be able to afford it

Cunha hasn't got much game time and could probably go for what Atletico brought him for. Saul is definitely not in Simeone's plans and could be sold for something like 20-30 million. Morata's probably going to Juve on a permanent deal so there's more funds as well. And it's not like Atletico sold the farm for guys like Lemar or Felix who came in for big money.

I'd be quite happy putting a tenner on Vlahovic going to Atletico next season.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Cunha hasn't got much game time and could probably go for what Atletico brought him for. Saul is definitely not in Simeone's plans and could be sold for something like 20-30 million. Morata's probably going to Juve on a permanent deal so there's more funds as well. And it's not like Atletico sold the farm for guys like Lemar or Felix who came in for big money.

Not sure Morata’s option will be taken

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico

I don't disagree that it'd only take a 2 or 3 decent sales to fund a purchase of Vlahovic, but I'm not so sure those sales are easy to make happen. Given how Saul has gone in the EPL for Chelsea this season, he's going to be even harder to sell in the future imo. It has been rumoured that Juve have been trying to find ways to lessen the cost of taking Morata permanently and I get the impression that if they can't get him for less that they won't take him at all.

And that's before the fact that there are other positions of bigger need that need to be strengthened first - RWB (especially if Tripper leaves) and CB in particular

I think he'd choose to go to a better club than Spurs, no offence to them but this guy should/will be going to a trophy challenging side. I know United are sh*t atm but this guy, a CM and a new manager(who's decent) and they are challenging on all fronts. Plus Spurs aren't selling Kane.

I would have been happy to sign him instead of Rom, he's quality.
As it stands we are one of two clubs to agree terms with the player. Atletico the other

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
As it stands we are one of two clubs to agree terms with the player. Atletico the other
City too apparently. I just dont see him ending up at Spurs that's all. You've got Kane and Son so he's not a desperate need anyway unless one of those guys leave.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
The two Manchester clubs should be all over him.

My own thoughts on Vlahovic:

It's a shame that Dusan Vlahovic isn't staying for long - he's the best centre forward Fiorentina have had since Gilardino (Jovetic and Rossi were more second strikers). His ball control and strength allow him to hold off defenders in tight spaces, and he's definitely got a poacher's predatory instincts and finishing.

All that said, while I definitely rate him above the likes of Piatek, his ceiling IMO is a very good, but not world class striker who wouldn't quite fit into the top sides. Firstly, unless they're freaks of nature like Lewandowski, a traditional centre forward seems increasingly redundant among the best sides because they don't necessarily contribute that much off the ball, nor do they link up play with their fellow attackers all that much. Given that the best sides press more than they used to, off the ball contributions and linking up become increasingly important, otherwise 1) it's easier for the opposition to steal the ball and 2) it's harder to defend as a unit if one of your players is isolated.

IMO Vlahovic doesn't do that much off the ball, and his link-up play isn't great - his passing isn't all that, his movement is very good but not world class and despite his natural physical attributes (i.e. being tall and strong), his aerial ability isn't as good as you might hope so it's hard to use him as a focal point/target man ala Didier Drogba, plus his style of play doesn't really lend itself to that anyway. Since he's a poacher, I reckon he'd be too isolated playing for top sides when off the ball against Top 6 sides. For that reason, if he was in the PL, he'd be dangerous against sides outside of the Top 6, but I reckon he'd struggle for consistency against the Top 6 (his masterclass against AC Milan notwithstanding).

Technically he's much better than Lukaku, and he would have the likes of Bruno Fernandes feeding him bullets, so to speak, but while I think he'd notch up a very respectable goal tally (probably around 17-18 or thereabouts), I'm not sure he'd actually improve Man U all that much in terms of play style and competitiveness against the best PL sides.

Also note that Gilardino was so-so at AC Milan (then a top side), and while Vlahovic is IMO technically superior, Gilardino was a real aerial threat and at least as good in terms of movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back