Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
Power, pace and strength have never been Messi's main attributes. He thrives in a much less physical Ligue 1.

If one of our rivals wanted to sign Messi as their next striker for the next few seasons I'd be all for it.
You're crazy.

I've always been baffled when people suggest Messi would struggle in the PL. He's basically the greatest footballer who has ever lived but he wouldnt make it in the PL.

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Nope. 2025. But you would expect that United extend it significantly if he keeps his form up.

If you Google it, Fab said 2025 in a tweet. But transfermarkt.com shows 2023 as when his contract expires. So I believe it’s the end of this season.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
You're crazy.

I've always been baffled when people suggest Messi would struggle in the PL. He's basically the greatest footballer who has ever lived but he wouldnt make it in the PL.

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

Im baffled by those who think age isnt a factor for a footballer even for a modern day GOATlike Messi. Especially in the PL - the most physically demanding league in the world.

Just look at Ronaldo for Utd and how well that has gone. You seem to think that Messi can turn up and do the business regardless of age whether he is 36 or 46.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
Im baffled by those who think age isnt a factor for a footballer even for a modern day GOATlike Messi. Especially in the PL - the most physically demanding league in the world.

Just look at Ronaldo for Utd and how well that has gone. You seem to think that Messi can turn up and do the business regardless of age whether he is 36 or 46.
Yeah that is the case now but your last post was so wrong. Power, pace and strength are some of Messi's main attributes and always have been.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United

I don’t know if you think Messi will come to the PL and sulk it up, like Ronaldo has this season, as soon as he steps off the plane. Because Ronaldo actually played last season for Manchester United. In that season he was the clubs top scorer, United’s POTY, had the most Player of the Month awards, most PL-wide MOTM awards, was in the PL TOTY. Ronaldo did very well in his first season

You started this whole thing by saying you hope United sign Messi because he’s old and then proceeded to list power, pace and strength as the attributes he doesn’t have to prove your point. Half of the players in the PL don’t have those exact same attributes either and they have half the talent that Messi possesses. There is this obsession to believe that PL defenders and midfielders are big and tall and will gobble up smaller players. After 30 years, you would think that everyone would realise that has never been the case. There is a place in this league, for all shapes and sizes, to dominate. Even Lionel Messi.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I don’t know if you think Messi will come to the PL and sulk it up, like Ronaldo has this season, as soon as he steps off the plane. Because Ronaldo actually played last season for Manchester United. In that season he was the clubs top scorer, United’s POTY, had the most Player of the Month awards, most PL-wide MOTM awards, was in the PL TOTY. Ronaldo did very well in his first season

You started this whole thing by saying you hope United sign Messi because he’s old and then proceeded to list power, pace and strength as the attributes he doesn’t have to prove your point. Half of the players in the PL don’t have those exact same attributes either and they have half the talent that Messi possesses. There is this obsession to believe that PL defenders and midfielders are big and tall and will gobble up smaller players. After 30 years, you would think that everyone would realise that has never been the case. There is a place in this league, for all shapes and sizes, to dominate. Even Lionel Messi.

Of course there is. Messi of today though is a shadow of the player he was 5-6 years ago, nothing changes that. Some people seem unable to accept age affects all players no matter how great they may be. I would love rivals of my club to sign him instead of Mbappe.

Ronaldo racked up reasonable stats last season. Did it improve the team? The answer is a resounding no.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams

You keep using Ronnie as an example despite CR7 and Messi being totally different players. Messi is also 35, not 36.

Messi has attributes that will serve him very well as he ages. The goals might slow a little but he will drop deeper and just orchestrate everything which he has done a little bit more the past 2 years or so. If he came to the PL tomorrow, he'd be completely fine.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Of course there is. Messi of today though is a shadow of the player he was 5-6 years ago, nothing changes that. Some people seem unable to accept age affects all players no matter how great they may be. I would love rivals of my club to sign him instead of Mbappe.

Ronaldo racked up reasonable stats last season. Did it improve the team? The answer is a resounding no.

And just as I was thinking Liverpool supporters have stopped living in the past. You come out with that one.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
You keep using Ronnie as an example despite CR7 and Messi being totally different players. Messi is also 35, not 36.

Messi has attributes that will serve him very well as he ages. The goals might slow a little but he will drop deeper and just orchestrate everything which he has done a little bit more the past 2 years or so. If he came to the PL tomorrow, he'd be completely fine.

At 700k / week no thanks. Glad we arent going anywhere near him.

This all started with a dumb joke about hoping United sign one of the best players in the world. That dumb joke was then doubled and trebled down on with some absolute nonsense about Messi.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The idea that you need “power, pace and strength” to play in the PL is such a 2010 opinion. I think David Silva showed what nonsense that is.
Yep. If your football IQ is better than everyone else on the pitch then you can get away with declining physical attributes or not having them to begin with.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
The idea that you need “power, pace and strength” to play in the PL is such a 2010 opinion. I think David Silva showed what nonsense that is.
Been countless examples of diminutive players going great in the PL. Owen, Silva, Hazard, Benayoun, Zola, Salah, Sterling, SWP, Lennon... the list goes on and on and on.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Been countless examples of diminutive players going great in the PL. Owen, Silva, Hazard, Benayoun, Zola, Salah, Sterling, SWP, Lennon... the list goes on and on and on.

Thats not the argument. Messi is 36 going on 37 next season. Some peoole seen to think he is the same player he was 10 years ago and will be until he is 46.

Bizarre you think he is still the same player he was at Barcelona.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back