Rumour Transfer reliability guide

Remove this Banner Ad

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Has someone formulated some ranking of tier System for the footy media. Twitter. And other forms of rumor during trade stuff?

An example from soccer -

Here's how we split each Tier:

Tier 1 - Almost undisputed when discussing a Transfer Rumour. They may not be the first to discuss a rumour, but if they are talking about it; then it is almost certainly true, and possibly close to complete.

Tier 2 - Known to have current sources, but are still fallible and just short of being considered an authority on rumour discussions. However, multiple individuals or sources from this tier reporting the same rumour may indicate a strong possibility of truth to the rumour.

Tier 3 - Unreliable, and not to be trusted solo. They fall into near click-bait practices and are often fighting for relevance in a sea of rumours.

Tier 4 - Not to be trusted at all. These companies make money out of ensuring that you read them and they will make up anything to get you to harness advertising revenue.

Tier 5 - Absolute Dick Heads. Why are you even reading them for * sake

• Banned
For example, I doubt AM is too trust too truth worthy in these matters?

Andy Maher's update on the Aliir Aliir trade situation - “It’s come to my attention that Aliir doesn’t want to leave Sydney and Sydney doesn’t want him to go,”

Ricky Nixon is somewhere between 5 and 6, wrong all the time- but also a complete lunatic

Also included in Tier 6 are journalists who at different times write the opposite stories about the same player, so whatever happens they can say they were right

When it comes to exchanges, we don't consider anything official until the twitter account for AFL House post about it.

Even the most respectable of journalists are usually rushing to get the scoop onto the internet first and occasionally, unintentionally, miss details of trades etc.

Does this sport even have any Tier 1 or Tier 2 people?
There's definitely Tier 2 around, Cal Twomey usually knows things about Essendon (as do a couple of others). Supporters of other clubs would probably know who was reliable for their teams too.

Tier 1 is usually better before trade period starts, even they get involved in the clickbait after that.

Does this sport even have any Tier 1 or Tier 2 people?

Without knowing much about the afl media - Australian footy seems to lack high quality sources? Like the above example from other sports.

Watching trade week a bit, Edmund and Morris seem to be in the know to some extent and pretty fast at breaking stories (?)

I hope they are high sources anyway, given its hilarious if the pies are paying Treloar 1.5 million dollars. To not play footy for the pies , as reported

Edmund and Cal Twomey seem like the journos most likely to only pull the trigger when they have genuine intel, rather than being fed club-biased garbage like Tom Browne. That bloke had Dodoro's hand up his a*** the entire trade period, like a ventriloquist dummy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Edmund and Cal Twomey seem like the journos most likely to only pull the trigger when they have genuine intel, rather than being fed club-biased garbage like Tom Browne. That bloke had Dodoro's hand up his a*** the entire trade period, like a ventriloquist dummy.

Tom Morris seems to trust the blokes texting him too. Last night at least.

Assuming that is the guy who was doing the show with Montagna and king.

Is
Twomey actually a good source? Or just knowledgeable about the draft pools

When it comes to exchanges, we don't consider anything official until the twitter account for AFL House post about it.

Even the most respectable of journalists are usually rushing to get the scoop onto the internet first and occasionally, unintentionally, miss details of trades etc.

Official team and club websites as tier0 I think.

Essentially facts - official news

Is
Twomey actually a good source? Or just knowledgeable about the draft pools

Definitely comes into his own around trade and draft time due to pretty solid connections with List Managers and Player Managers, hence he always has a reasonably accurate crack at his mock draft each year.

Not sure what you mean by this. Tom Browne had no bias in the following tweet

It’s very popular to bag Essendon. Josh Dunkley wants to go there. And has done for weeks as per my reports. The bombers have done a great job. I hope it happens

Official team and club websites as tier0 I think.

Essentially facts - official news
Club websites definitely contain plenty of spin. I seem to recall a particular instance a couple of years ago for example where two separate trades were represented to the supporters of a particular club as a three-way trade in order to save face.

There are definitely some examples around in the last 24 hours as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back