NO TROLLS Transgender Discrimination AFL Lawsuit

A transgender footy player is set to take legal action against the AFL for their allegedly discriminatory policy regarding transgender players wanting to play AFLW.

This could set a precedent case.

FFB1

Premiership Player
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Boronia Hawks
3A9BEF33-B0B3-496A-BFAE-F7FC9524E59D.jpeg

Slippery slope this one.

Me personally, they should be playing against the blokes and not women as the advantage with their added strength isn't fair to the women.
Its a valid point. I remember when Mouncey tried to join the AFLW.

All I could think of is that she is just as strong as Brown.

1.png

May 13, 2007
<---------
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Seahawks, Huskies, Newcastle Utd.
Its a valid point. I remember when Mouncey tried to join the AFLW.

All I could think of is that she is just as strong as Brown.
Mouncy would just destroy the chicks.

I was only 75kg's when I played but if I was allowed to play against the girls, some of the bumps that you'd be able to lay on them would be epic. A real chance for some very serious, serious injury.

Apart from being able to shower with the girls, I couldn't see why you'd want to play against them.

I'm not transgender though.

nick1408

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2010
Why?
AFL Club
Richmond

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
This is a huge minefield. I'm 100% for transgender rights and to live their life free of discrimination.

But there's a big difference between living discrimination free and running around on a women's football field where you could cause physical harm to another person who would normally not come up against someone of your size.

People can get testosterone counts so the obvious first step is that number needs to get below a certain threshold. But even that may not be enough - men are typically more muscular then women... Does that change after transitioning? I would need to refer to someone more familiar with the process.

The problem in all of this is height. A women may lose muscle, weight and testosterone during transitioning, but they won't lose height. Which will mean they'll go from an average male physique to a big women's physique and that's not fair.

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Seems nobody ever actually asks the real women on their thoughts.

Only way you can do that is hold a private vote.

You can't hold an open one or even discuss it because any woman who speaks out or votes against it would be crucified in public by a tiny vocal minority.

In the end you can't allow transgender into a competition if it drives biological girls/women away from playing a sport or feeling comfortable doing so.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Honestly, if you were born a male you shouldn't be able to play womens sports, its incredibly unfair. Imagine if all the boys that didn't get drafted all of a sudden said I am a woman now, I am playing AFLW. You'd have basically another VFL comp.
You're a good poster man, but this is a crap argument.

I'm not going to say it would never happen because this is a crazy world and saying something will never happen is a good way to get egg on your face....

But it will be extremely rare that men who failed to make it as professional sportsmen decide to transition to women to have a crack at being a professional in women's sport.

The physical process of transitioning is brutal enough. The mental side even more so. It would be insane to do this.

I think this is a very difficult issue. Of course we want everyone to feel included and happy. However the AFL also has a duty of care to all players in providing a safe workplace.

The question for the AFL is would a transgender player be a risk for other participants due to their physical size, speed or strength?

A tough one if the person wanting to play is much taller, stronger and faster than current participants.
Where does the AFL draw the line though? A participant must be with a certain height/ weight/ speed/ strength parameter?

freddy mercury

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Jacksonville
You're a good poster man, but this is a crap argument.

I'm not going to say it would never happen because this is a crazy world and saying something will never happen is a good way to get egg on your face....

But it will be extremely rare that men who failed to make it as professional sportsmen decide to transition to women to have a crack at being a professional in women's sport.

The physical process of transitioning is brutal enough. The mental side even more so. It would be insane to do this.
Its happening overseas now.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Rugby Union has been addressing the issues from an international viewpoint:

& it has had some press locally:

As an outsider in the Union game I have to smile when considering the discussion about the male game at junior level being played not on age grouping, but on weight, as a result of kids physical development being relevant

Back