Society/Culture Transgender folk

Remove this Banner Ad

in my experiences, plenty are absolute headcases but there are exceptions. i know a few who are pretty chill, settled about who they are, don't take themselves too seriously and i can just shoot the s**t with them like other friends.
I haven't met one yet. Maybe you're right but from my experience it's a 100% hit rate and when you look at what they have to go through it's totally understandable. I'd feel ripped off if I was born into the wrong body.

Funny way to describe it.

I have always felt that the GLB community tends to marginalise trans folk in a lot of ways

I have heard this before (no idea how true it is though).

I can see why homosexuals would be inclined to be separate. Sexual orientation and gender identity are different things.

Aside from social/legal discrimination, most homosexuals have no more in common with 'transgenders' than most heterosexuals.

I think there's more to it than that. Gay guys are generally easy to get along with. Gay women on the other hand, not as common. I tend to notice gay women often have a problem with gay men. Thought more of them would have a bit of empathy. No so. So woman just have a massive problem with men.

There is a lesbian at my workplace. We don't hate each other but we don't really get along either. Most of the other staff are surprised at this. They think just because we are both gay we should be great mates. However, as a rule, obviously there are exceptions, lesbians are the group of people I get along with least.

I think part of the reason trans issues are marinalised is because they are so hard for non-trans people to wrap their head around.

As a straight person, I can sort of roughly imagine what it would be like to be gay. I'd be the same person, with the same emotions. It's just the feelings I currently have towards women I would have towards men instead.

I have no idea what it would be like to feel like I was a woman trapped in a man's body. As in, I don't even understand what that phrase actually means. My gender identity as a man is far more closely intertwined with my idea of who I am than my sexuality is. I can't even begin to imagine what a female me would be like. I don't even know if a female me would actually be me.

I can appreciate how gay people feel about gay marriage because I can relate it to my own feelings about love and marriage. But I will never be able to properly appreciate how trans people feel about being regarded by society as male because of the way their body is constructed when their mind is telling them they are female, because that experience is completely outside of my frame of reference.

*facepalm*

Bunsen, I think someone needs to explain to you the difference between gender identity and sexuality. Being transgender has nothing to do with sexuality.
Most easily;
gender identity is who you want to go to bed as.
Sexuality is who you want to go to bed with.

Hope that helps :)

Mmm... not sure I agree with that. My partner has the submissive role in our relationship yet he is much more masculine in every other way than me.

I'd say we engage in conversation differently. I've had that conversation with a number of gay guys. Probably 3 or 4 out of the hundreds of gay guys I've met. A low percentage but still enough to see a pattern.

31feb_ORIG-UnbelievableBullshitAirplaneIIAnimated.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting perception. Pretty sure I don't have a reputation for bullshitting or exaggerating. Why would you think I have started now?

I'm gay and I don't even think I've met over a hundred gay guys. If I have the only reason I have is because I frequent places where gay guys are likely to be (e.g. gay clubs, resorts parties etc). So if you're not lying then it means you must also go to these kinds of places. You say you're not lying so congratulations on coming out. Enjoy life as a gay man.

I'm gay and I don't even think I've met over a hundred gay guys.
On the subject of bullshit.....

If I have the only reason I have is because I frequent places where gay guys are likely to be (e.g. gay clubs, resorts parties etc). So if you're not lying then it means you must also go to these kinds of places.
Been to plenty a gar bar.

You say you're not lying so congratulations on coming out. Enjoy life as a gay man.
Quite comfortable with being straight actually. I'm a committed vagatarian.

Mmm... not sure I agree with that. My partner has the submissive role in our relationship yet he is much more masculine in every other way than me.
A quick read suggests you're missing the point too.
As I understand it, It has nothing to do with your partner of choice, their or your sexuality.
It has to do with your physical sex.

eg. A transgender male transitioning to female would have a sexuality indistinguishable from any other female in the population and vice versa.
A transgender male transitioned to a female may well be a lesbian, a dominant or submissive hetero or mixture of all three.

It's not about sexuality but physical identity.

I think there's more to it than that. Gay guys are generally easy to get along with. Gay women on the other hand, not as common. I tend to notice gay women often have a problem with gay men. Thought more of them would have a bit of empathy. No so. So woman just have a massive problem with men.

I know a few gay guys and they are normal blokes no different to you or I - but I tend to think lesbians don't get along with men or gay men because many of them tend to be extreme feminists who hate any men as a result of being abused/neglected by their father as a child. It's like a way of getting back at daddy.

I know a few gay guys and they are normal blokes no different to you or I - but I tend to think lesbians don't get along with men or gay men because many of them tend to be extreme feminists who hate any men as a result of being abused/neglected by their father as a child. It's like a way of getting back at daddy.
Most lesbians I know had a perfectly happy childhood and just happen to like chicks.

Most lesbians I know had a perfectly happy childhood and just happen to like chicks.
A very fair point. There is nothing inherent in being same sex attracted that necessarily makes you a raving lunatic, despite how some people like to portray them. A grossly underrated reason for same sex attraction is the distaste some people have for placing their penis in a vagina, or conversely, having a penis stuck in their vagina. Also, some people are simply not attracted by the aesthetics of the bodies of the opposite sex. Then there are those for whom their first experience of sex is with a person of the same sex and they see no reason to explore further.

Such a complicated and multi-faceted issue which is not at all addressed by resort to catchphrases and the imposition of biological and psychological vacuities. On the other hand, it's really simple. It's about sharing a bed with a warm body. Not sure that last bit applies to all women, especially around the digital extremities.

There is no reason for same sex attraction, we just are. Most gay people will tell you that there was nothing traumatic in their childhood but that at puberty, instead of finding the opposite sex attractive, you found the same sex attractive. Scientists have spent years trying to understand why this is so and no one has been able to come up with anything particularly concrete, possibly, as I believe, because homosexuality is just part of the spectrum of human sexuality and can't be rationalised with any one hypothesis.

There are some gays and lesbians who can be mean to a bi/pansexual person like myself (like they dont believe it). But there are calm sensible types and raving lunatic fascists in every sexuality. I can imagine an extreme bi person conversely saying that everyone is bisexual to an extent, on a sexuality spectrum.

From a bi perspective, it's definitly more of a person thing than a physical sex thing for me. Attraction is much more than physical, but it sure helps.

I will say though, that being bisexual and transgender is extremely liberating actually. I didnt realise until I was able to live it and be myself, but really the world is your oyster, and there is no boxing you in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back