Transgender

Remove this Banner Ad

Scotland

TheBrownDog
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
but that's all it really is - something to get used to. Mr and Mrs and Miss, as gender-specific terms, originated from Master and Mistress, words that fell out of favour and became archaic. Only the female form had to instantly divulge marital status while Mr remained perfectly noncommittal.

The noncommittal female form Ms didn't come along for a very long time. People had to get used to that. Social etiquette and tolerances changed, because they had to. The world was moving on.

This is just one more thing. One more change to get used to.
Those terms ultimately don't mean much. If you want to be called Mr or Mrs or Miss or Ms Geelong_Sicko you do you.

At the end of the day humans are mammals and we make provisions as a society based on age, sex, race etc. I don't play junior sports any more because I'm 36. I haven't been sent a free bowel cancer test kit because I'm not aged 50-74. I'm not afforded a free cervical cancer screening test every 2 years because I'm not a woman aged 18-70. I'm not eligible for Abstudy because I'm not an ATSI person nor am I studying. Etc. How many of these things should I be allowed to identify my way into?

I think once you reach the point of saying 'people who menstruate' and 'individuals with a cervix' it's getting silly.

Noidenous

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Manchester UTD
Those terms ultimately don't mean much. If you want to be called Mr or Mrs or Miss or Ms Geelong_Sicko you do you.

At the end of the day humans are mammals and we make provisions as a society based on age, sex, race etc. I don't play junior sports any more because I'm 36. I haven't been sent a free bowel cancer test kit because I'm not aged 50-74. I'm not afforded a free cervical cancer screening test every 2 years because I'm not a woman aged 18-70. I'm not eligible for Abstudy because I'm not an ATSI person nor am I studying. Etc. How many of these things should I be allowed to identify my way into?

I think once you reach the point of saying 'people who menstruate' and 'individuals with a cervix' it's getting silly.
'child-bearers'

Geelong_Sicko

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

I honestly think that, aside from the outright bigots and religious zealots of various stripes, it largely comes down to how flexible you are in adapting to change. All these new terms, I honestly don't care about using new terminology. Will I trip up from time to time and will I use terms I've grown up with and grown used to saying? You bet I will. I guarantee that I will f*ck it up at some point.

But its never going to come from a place of malice.

I'll persevere with it and I'll learn and I'll hopefully become a better person for sticking at it. I really think it's just too much change far too soon for some, and I think its that way for many people who show concern on this topic and not actual bigotry or transphobia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad