Transgender

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please be aware that the tolerance of anti-trans language on BF is at an all-time low. Jokes and insults that are trans-related, as well as anti-trans and bigoted rhetoric will be met with infractions, threadbans etc as required. It's a sensitive (and important) topic, so behave like well-mannered adults when discussing it, PARTICULARLY when disagreeing. This equally applies across the whole site.

Last edited:
You said "it is reasonable for a prospective partner to not want to engage in sex with someone who doesn't have what they are 'looking for' biologically".

Yeah, so if the trans woman has a penis, it is reasonable for a straight man to exclude her from womanhood on that basis?
No - it's reasonable to not want to have sex with her. It's transphobic to conclude that she is not a woman because she has a penis.

Sure, but we are clearly talking about a situation where, all else being equal, the straight man is interested in the woman but then learns she is trans and has a penis.

Clearly I have not been arguing that a straight man should be willing and eager and "obligated" to have sex with literally every woman on the planet.
It would not be transphobic for that straight man to decide not to have sex with her - on the basis that she does not have the genitalia that he is looking for in a sexual partner.

How? If trans women are women regardless of biology then how can it be reasonable to discriminate on the basis of genitalia?
Because you are not discriminating on the basis of gender - but on the basis of genitalia. The entire point of 'trans women are women regardless of biology' means that it doesn't matter what their biological sex is - transwomen are still women.

No. I never said that.

No one disputes that biological differences exist. The question is whether everyone else, society at large, should disregard those differences, or whether they are still a factor in the various spaces we're discussing.

And no, I'm not transphobic, but certain trans activists would certainly make that charge because I question their radical new orthodoxy that seeks to untether completely biological sex from gender while sidelining the former.

I don't, for example, accept the claim that trans women are exactly the same as biological women regardless of whether they have a penis. I don't, for example, accept the claim that trans men are exactly the same as biological men regardless of their ability to give birth. I also don't accept the claim that any discrimination on the basis of genitalia - an expression of biological sex - should be taboo. Some straight men might not be into women who have penises. Same goes for gay ladies. But some trans activists say that's not cool. I think they're wrong.

Please make up your mind.

What about prisons, women's shelters and public bathrooms? Biological sex seems pretty relevant there. That's your standard, so trans women should be treated as biological males in those spaces?
That is all part of the debate within the community - like within any community/activist groups. I'm not personally convinced that it is reasonable to consider biological sex in those three scenarios. On the contrary, I do believe that sexual partners should be able to decide who they wish to have sex with based on biological factors - and that sports administrators should also be able to consider the biology of its participants to ensure the fairness and safety of the competition above all else.

No - it's reasonable to not want to have sex with her. It's transphobic to conclude that she is not a woman because she has a penis.
Again, we are assuming the man was interested until he learns the woman is trans and has a penis, at which point he loses interest on that basis alone. This is discrimination on the basis of genitalia, which is at odds with the premise that trans women are women regardless of biology. Her penis should be irrelevant.

Please don't ask me to explain this over and over. I assume you understand the parameters of the hypothetical.

It would not be transphobic for that straight man to decide not to have sex with her - on the basis that she does not have the genitalia that he is looking for in a sexual partner.
Again, it's discrimination on the basis of genitalia.

Because you are not discriminating on the basis of gender - but on the basis of genitalia. The entire point of 'trans women are women regardless of biology' means that it doesn't matter what their biological sex is - transwomen are still women.
If trans women are women, then it shouldn't matter that she has a penis. It's a beautiful woman and the man otherwise finds her attractive. Her penis should be irrelevant.

Please make up your mind.
Sorry, what's your point?

In the post you've quoted I am talking about the way trans folks interact with society and vice versa, not the facts of their biology. That is clear from the post and the fact it juxtaposes these different aspects.

Don't presume to catch me in a contradiction.

That is all part of the debate within the community - like within any community/activist groups. I'm not personally convinced that it is reasonable to consider biological sex in those three scenarios.
Sorry what?

Dating/sex is all about biology and not "the social sphere" at all but then biology goes out the window in public bathrooms, prisons and women's shelters. Nonsense. You can't have it both ways.

Of course biology is a consideration if you let a trans woman with a penis (as well as biological males on average being bigger and stronger) into a prison otherwise full of biological females. It's madness to suggest otherwise.

Last edited:

Again, we are assuming the man was interested until he learns the woman is trans and has a penis, at which point he loses interest on that basis alone. This is discrimination on the basis of genitalia, which is at odds with the premise that trans women are women regardless of biology. Her penis should be irrelevant.
Which is exactly what 'regardless of biology' means!

Her womanhood is not determinant upon her biology. This does not mean that men cannot discriminate based on what they (biologically) desire in a sexual partner.

Again, it's discrimination on the basis of genitalia.

If trans women are women, then it shouldn't matter than she has a penis. It's a beautiful woman and the man otherwise finds her attractive. Her penis should be irrelevant.
Not when it comes to sexual intercourse. People discriminate their sexual partners based on biological factors all the time - bust size, body shape, penis size, body hair - the list is endless. Similarly, it is perfectly reasonable for this hypothetical straight man to decide to not have sex with a transwoman on the basis of her genitalia. The key point is that her status as a woman is not dependant upon her biology or whether this hypothetical straight men wishes to have sex with her.

Sorry, what's your point?

In the post you've quoted I am talking about the way trans folks interact with society and vice versa, not the facts of their biology. That is clear from the post and the fact it juxtaposes these different aspects.

Don't presume to catch me in a contradiction.
You are literally talking about biology in that post and my quote cited your words verbatim - but whatever.

Sorry what?

Dating/sex is all about biology and not "the social sphere" at all but then biology goes out the window in public bathrooms, prisons and women's shelters. Nonsense. You can't have it both ways.
No. I think the first is a design issue, the second is a design/policy issue (which I will concede should consider one's biology to an extent), and the third should be a support for both transwoman and cisgender women (transwomen can also experience DV).

Of course biology is a consideration if you let a trans woman with a penis into a prison otherwise full of biological women. It's madness to suggest otherwise.
NSW, Victoria, the Australian Capital Territory and Tasmania all have an explicit self-identification policy with regard to placement of inmates in prison facilities.

If I'm mad, then over 60% of the country is also mad.

Last edited:
Which is exactly what 'regardless of biology' means!

Her womanhood is not determinant upon her biology. This does not mean that men cannot discriminate based on what they (biologically) desire in a sexual partner.

Not when it comes to sexual intercourse. People discriminate their sexual partners based on biological factors all the time - bust size, body shape, penis size, body hair - the list is endless. Similarly, it is perfectly reasonable for this hypothetical straight man to decide to not have sex with a transwoman on the basis of her genitalia. The key point is that her status as a woman is not dependant upon her biology or whether this hypothetical straight men wishes to have sex with her.
Yes, people discriminate based on biological factors in sexual partners.

But we're now talking about discriminating based on biology/genitalia, which some trans activists regard as transphobic. This one biological factor is at the heart of the discussion.

If a man withdraws interest in a trans woman upon learning she has a penis, in effect that her genitals don't match his expectations of a biological woman, that is discrimination on the basis of genitalia.

And you may disagree that this discrimination constitutes transphobia. I expect many trans folks would also take that view.

The point is that some trans activists do regard this discrimination on the basis of genitalia as transphobic, a conclusion they have extrapolated from the principle that "trans women are women regardless of biology". You and I may disagree with them but some trans folks have indeed drawn that conclusion.

You are literally talking about biology in that post and my quote cited your words verbatim - but whatever.
Read it again. And don't be dishonest. Maybe quote the whole paragraph that makes clear the juxtaposition between societal acceptance and biology.

No. I think the first is a design issue, the second is a design/policy issue (which I will concede should consider one's biology to an extent), and the third should be a support for both transwoman and cisgender women (transwomen can also experience DV).

NSW, Victoria, the Australian Capital Territory and Tasmania all have an explicit self-identification policy with regard to placement of inmates in prison facilities.

If I'm mad, then over 60% of the country is also mad.
This doesn't address or resolve any of the obvious inconsistencies in your argument.

You apply selectively the principle of whether "biology should be a consideration" in a way that makes no intuitive sense.

If your standard for prisons is self ID, then why does that go out the window with biology becoming paramount when it comes to dating/sex? Why isn't self ID the standard there as well?

The point about women's shelters is that they are "women only" spaces and that requires them to take biology into account. If there needs to be a separate service for trans women, so be it. But that would discriminate on the basis of biology and, as we know, that's unacceptable.

Last edited:
Yes, people discriminate based on biological factors in sexual partners.

But we're now talking about discriminating based on biology/genitalia, which some trans activists regard as transphobic. This one biological factor is at the heart of the discussion.

If a man withdraws interest in a trans woman upon learning she has a penis, in effect that her genitals don't match his expectations of a biological woman, that is discrimination on the basis of genitalia.

And you may disagree that this discrimination constitutes transphobia. I expect many trans folks would also take that view.

The point is that some trans activists do regard this discrimination on the basis of genitalia as transphobic, a conclusion they have extrapolated from the principle that "trans women are women regardless of biology". You and I may disagree with them but some trans folks have indeed drawn that conclusion.
I don't disagree with any of that.

My point, as I have already stated, is that this particular conclusion, extrapolated by a small subset of the community, can be challenged in and of itself - without necessarily detracting from the validity of the commonly-held principle.

This doesn't address or resolve any of the obvious inconsistencies in your argument.

You apply selectively the principle of whether "biology should be a consideration" in a way that makes no intuitive sense.

If your standard for prisons is self ID, then why does that go out the window with biology becoming paramount when it comes to dating/sex? Why isn't self ID the standard there as well?
Biology should only be a consideration where it is logically necessary.

I don't believe it is logically necessary to discriminate based on biological factors for public toilets, prisons, or DV shelters. I do believe it is logically necessary to discriminate based on biological factors for medical reasons and sexual encounters (we have both agreed that it is fine for people discriminate based on biological factors in sexual partners).

My position is not riddled with inconsistencies as you suggest - as each scenario is uniquely different. It is very obvious that doctors need to be be able to consider biological factors when they treating a transgender patient - it is less obvious whether biological factors need to be considered in the way in which we design our public toilets.

You believe that in order to agree with the principle that 'transwomen are women regardless of biology', one must take the position that the biology of a transperson cannot be a consideration within any sphere. This contention is based upon a false dichotomy and, as a result, fails logically.

My point, once again, is that the womanhood of a transwomen is not dependant upon their biology. This is the commonly-held view - and it does not mean that these biological factors don't exist - nor that there are certain circumstances where they need to be considered (the degree by which they need to be considered being subject to debate within the community).

The point about women's shelters is that they are "women only" spaces and that requires them to take biology into account. If there needs to be a separate service for trans women, so be it. But that would discriminate on the basis of biology and, as we know, that's unacceptable.
I don't agree - I believe they can achieve their same goal by discriminating based on gender not genitalia. I'm not alone in my view.

https://www.sacredheartmission.org/seek-help/help-for-women/womens-house

The Women’s House in St Kilda, Victoria is a welcoming, safe and supportive engagement hub tailored to the needs of all women (trans and cis) who are experiencing homelessness or are at risk of becoming homeless.

We strongly welcome Indigenous and Torres Strait Islander women to our space. The Women's House recognises that a gender-specific response is needed to address homelessness.

https://www.launchhousing.org.au/service/east-st-kilda-crisis-accommodation

Launch Housing East St Kilda (LHESK) offers crisis accommodation, case management and advocacy to women experiencing homelessness in Melbourne. Many residents at LHESK have experienced violence and trauma.

This site is one of the only crisis services in Victoria to employ and accommodate women only and it also offers services to trans and gender diverse individuals who identify as female.

Last edited:
I don't disagree with any of that.

My point, as I have already stated, is that this particular conclusion, extrapolated by a small subset of the community, can be challenged in and of itself - without necessarily detracting from the validity of the commonly-held principle.
I see what you're saying but I disagree. That conclusion flows from the commonly held principle. Whether you or I disagree with the conclusion is beside the point.

Biology should only be a consideration where it is logically necessary.

I don't believe it is logically necessary to discriminate based on biological factors for public toilets, prisons, or DV shelters. I do believe it is logically necessary to discriminate based on biological factors for medical reasons and sexual encounters (we have both agreed that it is fine for people discriminate based on biological factors in sexual partners).
Why isn't it logically necessary to consider biology when it comes to public toilets, prisons or DV shelters?

These are spaces where we have generally explicitly divided people based on their biological sex.

My position is not riddled with inconsistencies as you suggest - as each scenario is uniquely different. It is very obvious that doctors need to be be able to consider biological factors when they treating a transgender patient - it is less obvious whether biological factors need to be considered in the way in which we design our public toilets.
Well, it's the fact that biological women feel they are entitled to that space without folks born biologically male being there. That is the factor to be considered.

You believe that in order to agree with the principle that 'transwomen are women regardless of biology', one must take the position that the biology of a transperson cannot be a consideration within any sphere. This contention is based upon a false dichotomy and, as a result, fails logically.
No, that's not accurate. My belief is neither here nor there. The point is that some folks within the trans rights movement have embraced this line of thinking.

My belief, broadly speaking, is that we should treat trans folks more or less the way they identify but there are several instances where biology must trump self ID. There are spaces where this distinction must be preserved. If that means we have to re-examine or mitigate the principle that "trans women are women regardless of biology", then so be it.

My point, once again, is that the womanhood of a transwomen is not dependant upon their biology.
Right, so if a straight man was to withdraw interest in them sexually upon learning about their biology, effectively excluding them from womanhood, that would be transphobic, at least according to some folks within the movement.

I don't agree - I believe they can achieve their same goal by discriminating based on gender not genitalia. I'm not alone in my view.

https://www.sacredheartmission.org/seek-help/help-for-women/womens-house

The Women’s House in St Kilda, Victoria is a welcoming, safe and supportive engagement hub tailored to the needs of all women (trans and cis) who are experiencing homelessness or are at risk of becoming homeless.

We strongly welcome Indigenous and Torres Strait Islander women to our space. The Women's House recognises that a gender-specific response is needed to address homelessness.

https://www.launchhousing.org.au/service/east-st-kilda-crisis-accommodation

Launch Housing East St Kilda (LHESK) offers crisis accommodation, case management and advocacy to women experiencing homelessness in Melbourne. Many residents at LHESK have experienced violence and trauma.

This site is one of the only crisis services in Victoria to employ and accommodate women only and it also offers services to trans and gender diverse individuals who identify as female.
I'm not saying trans folks should be denied services. But I'd say that where biological women have an expectation that a space will be restricted to biological women, that expectation also needs to be considered and, on balance, upheld.

Last edited:
I see what you're saying but I disagree. That conclusion flows from the commonly held principle. Whether you or I disagree with the conclusion is beside the point.
Yes but it doesn't invalidate the principle itself. I gave an example of this, whereby I may disagree with how a subset of far-leftists may extrapolate extreme measures of wealth redistribution from the socialist principle of 'equality of opportunity' - whilst still maintaining that I support the principle itself.

Why isn't it logically necessary to consider biology when it comes to public toilets, prisons or DV shelters?

These are spaces where we have generally explicitly divided people based on their biological sex.
Traditionally yes - before gender was untethered from biological sex. This has since changed with respect to all three things - as I have shown you with regard to modern public toilet design, prisons self-identification policies and, women's shelters accepting transwomen.

The only logical argument I can see is whether female prisons and women's shelters are safe environments for cis-females - given the presence of transwomen. From what I know, each individual is assessed on a case-by-case basis - for example - a violent offender who is trans will likely be assigned to solitary confinement or a segregated wing rather than assigned to woman's gen pop (risk to female prisoners) or men's gen pop (transphobic and a risk to the individual).

Well, it's the fact that biological women feel they are entitled to that space without folks born biologically male being there. That is the factor to be considered.

I'm not saying trans folks should be denied services. But I'd say that where biological women have an expectation that a space will be restricted to biological women, that expectation also needs to be considered and, on balance, upheld.
I don't agree. They are entitled to feel safe in that space - they are not entitled to decide upon who else is entitled to the same security and support that they desire. The administrators of those facilities who deal with these issues on a daily basis will make those assessments on a case-by-case basis - like they would with anyone who was a potential risk to the safety of the women in those facilities (such as a violent drug user).

My belief, broadly speaking, is that we should treat trans folks more or less the way they identify but there are several instances where biology must trump self ID. There are spaces where this distinction must be preserved. If that means we have to re-examine or mitigate the principle that "trans women are women regardless of biology", then so be it.

Right, so if a straight man was to withdraw interest in them sexually upon learning about their biology, effectively excluding them from womanhood, that would be transphobic, at least according to some folks within the movement.
I think you are still stuck in binary dichotomy - a person is either a man or a woman. That self ID/biology are competing with one another. They are not - there is no need for one to trump the other. An individual's gender is based on self ID. Their biological sex - based on chromosomes. There are certain spheres where one's biological sex is pertinent - almost every transwoman acknowledges this - however their biological makeup has no relation to their gender.

There is a notion that if a transwoman is not biologically eligible to compete in a woman's sporting competition, she must be considered a bloke who can still compete in the men's competition if she wants.

The whole ideal of "transwomen are women regardless of biology" is to do away with this notion and simply say that she is a woman who is not biologically eligible to compete in a woman's sporting competition.

A transwoman that a hypothetical straight man doesn't want to root is not a bloke - but a woman who is not biologically desirable to that man.

I would say that those few people in the community that suggest it is transphobic for a straight man to not be sexually attracted to a transwoman are most likely young and deeply insecure about their status as a woman. That is not to blame them - as transitioning is an incredibly difficult process that is fraught with insecurities and anxieties - or to deny their particular views or experiences - but to simply put into context that these views may not be particularly well thought out.

The few transwomen I know would laugh in your face if you told them that their status as a woman is somehow dependant upon the sexual whims of a hypothetical *boi.

Last edited:
a person is either a man or a woman. That self ID/biology are competing with one another

Pardon the interruption - biologically this cannot be disputed, so yes in effect ID and biology are competing with one another.

To summarize this whole discussion between largely 3 or 4 posters, there seems (or likely) to be a tiny tiny but noisy minority that seem to whether consciously or subconsciously want things 'both ways' i:e disregard the inconsistency for their 'freedom to be who I am/ they are' but yet when it comes to the discussion around for example 'fairness' in sporting competition it's seen as 'how dare you, you transphobe!' . Again whether or not consciously or subconsciously,

Other examples are around female only spaces (biologically) but as soon as hetero bio woman has a fear or an issue with a self identified woman who is biological male within that supposed women only space, that tiny minority steps up to the plate with the 'transphobe' card.

Where it gets impractical is 'society' trying to accommodate this tiny tiny minority at what might seem a minor inconvenience, like women (biological) only spaces. Some of those nasty, evil, hetero bio women might disagree it's a minor inconvenience - like those competing against Laurel Hubbard for instance.

This tiny minority does exist and there are examples of their inconsistent argument and when met with logic and practic to oppose the whatever argument out comes the 'transphobe' card.

Society is on a hiding to nothing trying to accommodate all and sundry, because it is not possible and therefore not practical. There are literally dozens of examples of everyone trying to please everyone with results like we have now. Trans still feeling unloved by everyone else and everyone else wondering why society is bending over backwards for such a small amount of people at their own inconvenience.

Forget the intended haters, they pale into insignificance in amount of how many as does the trans population itself. They are truly in opposition and their attitudes need to be truly quashed, not the inconvenienced bio woman, she just wants to go about life with her right to feel safe in society.

It's amazing we're a gazillion pages into a discussion about 0.0000001 of the whole population.

Pardon the interruption - biologically this cannot be disputed, so yes in effect ID and biology are competing with one another.
Man and woman are gender roles - not dependant upon biology. A person is either a biological male or a biological female depending upon their chromosomes - but this is not related to their self ID gender as a man/woman/non-binary.

Man and woman are gender roles - not dependant upon biology. A person is either a biological male or a biological female depending upon their chromosomes - but this is not related to their self ID gender as a man/woman/non-binary.

Is the women's weightlifting at the Olympics for biological females or anyone who identifies as a woman?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's eligibility for participation in the sport in the women's competition - not eligibility for identity.

You said this:

If man and woman are gender roles - not dependent upon biology, then why would a competition divided into categories for men and women require any form of eligibility criteria?

If man and woman are gender roles - not dependent upon biology, then why would a competition divided into categories for men and women require any form of eligibility criteria?
To ensure that intersex women and transwomen do not have a biological advantage over ciswomen.

It is the nature of their biological advantage that makes it a factor for eligibility. Though this advantage stems from their biological sex, their chromosomal makeup, in and of itself, does not prevent them from participating in the women's competition. That is why XY women can participate in the women's competition - as long as they meet the eligibility requirements.

Correct, whichever way you boil it down and dissect biologically you are one or the other. 99.9999999% of the population align their gender with their biology as one and the same.

Practic will tell you they are one and the same, just coz 0.0000000001 % of the population want gender and biologically to be mutually exclusive, no if buts or maybes, doesn't mean they are.

Correct, whichever way you boil it down and dissect biologically you are one or the other. 99.9999999% of the population align their gender with their biology as one and the same.

Practic will tell you they are one and the same, just coz 0.0000000001 % of the population want gender and biologically to be mutually exclusive, no if buts or maybes, doesn't mean they are.
Transpeople suffer from gender dysphoria. Though the decision to transition is a choice - the dissonance they experience between their biological sex and gender is not a choice.

While only a very small proportion of the population suffer from gender dysphoria, a much larger proportion of the population possess a quality known as 'empathy' which allows them to emotionally understand what other people feel - despite not having any first-hand knowledge of the same experience/s.

That is why, despite gender dysphoria only presenting in a very small minority of the population, the support for rights that recognise their self ID gender is far greater than 0.000001%.

Last edited:
While only a very small proportion of the population suffer from gender dysphoria, a much larger proportion of the population possess a quality known as 'empathy' which allows them to emotionally understand what other people feel - despite not having any first-hand knowledge of the same experience/s.

That is why, despite gender dysphoria only presenting in a very small minority of the population, the support for rights that recognise their self ID gender is far greater than 0.000001%.

Only by ensuring that every world government is conservative-dominated can one dare hope to eradicate the pandemic scourge known as 'empathy'. People worry about covid? Hah! This 'caring about others' is the true societal poison, am I right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back