Transgender

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please be aware that the tolerance of anti-trans language on BF is at an all-time low. Jokes and insults that are trans-related, as well as anti-trans and bigoted rhetoric will be met with infractions, threadbans etc as required. It's a sensitive (and important) topic, so behave like well-mannered adults when discussing it, PARTICULARLY when disagreeing. This equally applies across the whole site.

Last edited:

If women are starting to get their own parking spaces and train carriages in certain areas, I really doubt they're going to want to go back toward shared bathrooms.

But it wouldn't be shared. It would be individual cubicles. They might have to use the same corridor to get to the facilities but these things are public spaces within public spaces anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But it wouldn't be shared. It would be individual cubicles. They might have to use the same corridor to get to the facilities but these things are public spaces within public spaces anyway.
Do you mean that private facilities, such as the MCG or whatever else, should be forced to bear the brunt of the costs to implement these then?

I get what you're saying but I don't know if women would want this.

Do you mean that private facilities, such as the MCG or whatever else, should be forced to bear the brunt of the costs to implement these then?

I get what you're saying but I don't know if women would want this.

There could be existing facilities for men and women who don't mind the communal aspect, and some private ones for those who don't like the communal aspect of toiletry (if that's a word).

Cater for everyone. Keep everyone happy.

There could be existing facilities for men and women who don't mind the communal aspect, and some private ones for those who don't like the communal aspect of toiletry (if that's a word).

Cater for everyone. Keep everyone happy.
That doesn't really help still. Would the women who feel unsafe in the men's bathroom feel any safer if pre-op transgender people come in? The same problems still exist but with a communal bathroom now.

sounds complicated

why not make a 3rd loo ?
That doesn't really help still. Would the women who feel unsafe in the men's bathroom feel any safer if pre-op transgender people come in? The same problems still exist but with a communal bathroom now.

Because having the private ones unnamed won't alienate anyone. Anyone can use them, and for any reason. No recrimination. No being singled out.

People can comport themselves as whoever they see fit.

There is no reason why others should be forced to accept their assumed identity.

yep

I see this same logic for being pro gay marriage.

All I ask is the state recognises their relationship, as they do a straight marriage. Who cares how two same sex couples recognise each other and who cares if third parties recognise the relationship.

Sex and Gender should be regarded to the biology you are born to. Regardless of any future body modifications or any later life ideas. In regards to dating, people have a right to know whether they're having sex with the same sex or the opposite sex.
OOOH....Do what you wanna do, be what you wanna be ....yeaah!

Do you suggest gender should be tattooed on ones forehead?
Wear F and M plates?

I think it would be far more useful if people were forced to disclose their ring wing tendencies or preclusion for infidelity, or even a preferred sexual position.
What about bloke with an arse fetish?
Should they wear a brown "A"?

People should not be forced to learn about their potential partners.
In fact all people should come with labelling like food, even a star system...so you can see if a relationship with them will be good or bad for you.

I had a friend come out as a transgender in 2010.

Got called out and told off by work colleagues in Sydney for referring to him/her as a he.

But he probably can't play womans sport without being bagged out for not being a woman.

So by that logic there is some merit in the "other" option.

My reading of Gender is that it's a universalist social category applied to someone on the basis of their sex, what is gendered is determined by the social and stereotypical traits that rightly or wrongly define these social groupings. These traits are of course always up for debate and there is endless play between what is Masculine and what is Feminine.

In one case Transgenderism is in danger of collapsing gender into a redundant and radically nominalist term that defines nothing but an individuals personality and on the other hand you have the stereotypical trans person, whom by transitioning are reinforcing the more extreme displays of Gender difference and gender essentialism, thus ending the play between the masculine and feminine, reducing individuals to overt binary displays of Gender.

I'm not sure Gender as a social category is compatible with a mind realist conception of Gender.

I had an interesting discussion with a former colleague today.

We were discussing an article about a transgender person, in particular the following quote.

Notice how the transgender person refers to themselves as "a transgender woman" ... not a woman.

The fact that they self identify as 'other' is interesting. i.e. They don't believe they're an actual woman but something else entirely.

I'd have less issue with a modified pronoun with the prefix of trans at the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back