Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Please be aware that the tolerance of anti-trans language on BF is at an all-time low. Jokes and insults that are trans-related, as well as anti-trans and bigoted rhetoric will be met with infractions, threadbans etc as required. It's a sensitive (and important) topic, so behave like well-mannered adults when discussing it, PARTICULARLY when disagreeing. This equally applies across the whole site.

Last edited:
So what do you suggest, he’s not allowed to give his own opinion on his own podcast?
I suggest that, given his position, he needs to be careful with speaking outside his area of actual knowledge, rather than give uneducated opinions about a pretty serious, world-wide health issue and trying to walk away from any consequences with a "hey that's just my opinion, man".

He ****ed up big time. There's no way around it.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I suggest that, given his position, he needs to be careful with speaking outside his area of actual knowledge, rather than give uneducated opinions about a pretty serious, world-wide health issue and trying to walk away from any consequences with a "hey that's just my opinion, man".

He f’ed up big time. There's no way around it.

I couldn’t disagree more.We all need to be critical thinkers and let opinions roam free, otherwise we need to police speech which I don’t agree with for a variety of reasons.

otherwise we need to police speech which I don’t agree with for a variety of reasons.
It's not just speech we don't agree with - it's dangerously bad medical advice about vaccination he was handing out.

We can agree on that
So my point is, just because you can, doesn't mean you should. And if you have a big audience who see you as a health authority, you should watch your words so people don't hurt themselves with your advice.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
In what way?
That's what people say when trans characters are played by non-trans actors.

If you have a trans character, it should be a trans actor, right?

Same goes for an amputee character? Or any any disabled character?

Remember Daniel Day-Lewis's impression of a cerebral palsy victim in My Left Foot? Are we OK with that? Isn't that just as objectionable as a non-trans actor playing a trans role?

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
So my point is, just because you can, doesn't mean you should. And if you have a big audience who see you as a health authority, you should watch your words so people don't hurt themselves with your advice.

Ok I’m not sure his audience thinks he’s a health authority (I am part of his audience and I don’t).

FYI I generally only listen to his MMA shows and the odd one with a guest I like. Though I did listen to the Shapiro one recently and they discussed the vaccine and heard his views and Ben’s (and I disagreed with a lot)

We’re going around in circles, I know what you’re saying but I just dont agree.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Probably, but if you’re not swallowing his health opinions, you’re likely not buying his supplements or equipment. If you are, you’re trusting his health cred.

Yeah or maybe just a victim of marketing. And I don't think supplements would help me, I reckon eating better and drinking less home-brew would help!

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club

If anyone is at the level of crayon eating intelligence to take medical advice from a meat head ufc fighter than I say let nature take its course.

If anyone is at the level of crayon eating intelligence to take medical advice from a meat head ufc fighter than I say let nature take its course.
But the Rogan devotees do take him seriously. They're the same demographic that fell for Milo and will fall again for whoever is able to I'd their idiotic grievances, tell them it's someone else's fault, and convince them to part with their money.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
But the Rogan devotees do take him seriously. They're the same demographic that fell for Milo and will fall again for whoever is able to I'd their idiotic grievances, tell them it's someone else's fault, and convince them to part with their money.

Not disagreeing, it's not like 'rogan' movement is a threat to society, neither is the 'milo' or any other w***** you can think of.

A threat to themselves if they take said advice maybe, but that's about it.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Not disagreeing, it's not like 'rogan' movement is a threat to society, neither is the 'milo' or any other w***** you can think of.

A threat to themselves if they take said advice maybe, but that's about it.

Arguably a lot of the anti-vaxx mob that aren't your traditional anti-vaxxers (who are at least consistent) would fall in to the category of taking Joe Rogan seriously.

If you have a far reaching public platform, there's some onus to use it responsibly and not spread demonstrably false information, especially at a time when that information can disrupt what is a vitally important vaccination roll-out.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Arguably a lot of the anti-vaxx mob that aren't your traditional anti-vaxxers (who are at least consistent) would fall in to the category of taking Joe Rogan seriously.

If you have a far reaching public platform, there's some onus to use it responsibly and not spread demonstrably false information, especially at a time when that information can disrupt what is a vitally important vaccination roll-out.

See post 5868 mate.

Yeah or maybe just a victim of marketing.
I suppose it kind of needs a more complex model of the Rogan brand.

Off the top of my head, cod marketing speak:

"Joe Rogan" is a multi-faceted brand.

When he puts out his opinion on a topic, many people who align with that facet of his brand will take that as a signal.

You might not be aligned with a particular aspect of his brand. The health stuff, the politics, and the UFC stuff might be separate for a person, as you've said.

His common sense and knowledge in relation to the topic of UFC might lead people into transferring that trust to his health advice. Like a top sportsman might loan his brand to an energy drink to get that trust and admiration to rub off on the drink. Rogan does this by promoting the supplements company he has a share in.

If your relationship with Rogan's health brand is one of trust and attention, you will trust what he says and you will pay attention.

I trust what some people say, but I don't seek out and pay attention to what they say.

So, though it doesn't apply to all of his customers (who pay in money, time, attention etc), enough will pay attention by his opinion and, either solely or partly on the back of that, not get vaccinated. Or they will take ivermectin thinking it'll stop Covid. Or whatever else he has been saying.

He has to be careful about the signals he generates or boosts, because in the health realm that can lead directly to people damaging themselves or putting themselves at risk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back