Travel Travel ideas please

Sep 3, 2002
In a good place
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NBA Winning Machines/Dallas Cowboys
situation - i have 14 days off around next April, 2/3rds during an overseas middle east deployment.

will get dropped off in Bahrain then would probably fly to Dubai,from there I'm open up to ideas

would love some educated ideas where to go, have never been Europe before, A few things as a caveat if I may:

1. Would prefer cheaper countries, as Im saving for a wedding /honeymoon/sports trip to USA in late 2019

2. somewhere sunny with decent beaches/cheap drinks would be nice

3. Just want to do a few countries(2-3) as i dont want to spend too much time on planes/trains

Was thinking Greece as a start point as I've heard this is cheap? Another mate mentioned Mauritius but I've also been told this is very expensive?

Any ideas,advice would be appreciated. Im literally starting from a blank canvas from Dubai

Last edited:

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Portugal/southern Spain

You won’t get better weather. Portugal is amazingly cheap, incredible hostels, great food and wine

Porto/Lisbon/Faro, then maybe Seville, Marbella, Malaga, Alicante, Valencia?

Avoid Barcelona. I love that place to death but it’s just far too busy these days, and can be hostile to tourists

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 3, 2002
In a good place
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Portugal/southern Spain

You won’t get better weather. Portugal is amazingly cheap, incredible hostels, great food and wine

Porto/Lisbon/Faro, then maybe Seville, Marbella, Malaga, Alicante, Valencia?

Avoid Barcelona. I love that place to death but it’s just far too busy these days, and can be hostile to tourists

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks will start having a good look at these options:thumbsu:

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
situation - i have 14 days off around next April, 2/3rds during an overseas middle east deployment.

will get dropped off in Bahrain then would probably fly to Dubai,from there I'm open up to ideas

would love some educated ideas where to go, have never been Europe before, A few things as a caveat if I may:

1. Would prefer cheaper countries, as Im saving for a wedding /honeymoon/sports trip to USA in late 2019

3. Just want to do a few countries(2-3) as i dont want to spend too much time on planes/trains

Was thinking Greece as a start point as I've heard this is cheap? Another mate mentioned Mauritius but I've also been told this is very expensive?

Any ideas,advice would be appreciated. Im literally starting from a blank canvas from Dubai
in april there is no where to go for sun and beaches in europe. not spain, not portugal not greece and not even turkey. Its still fu**** cold. if you want beach stay in the UAE, go to oman next door or fly down to the seychelles. One of the best islands in the world and april is one of the best times to go. And Seychelles is way way better then Mauritius and closer to Dubai too. However if you aint taking a chick with you then you will probably be bored as sh*** unless you like giant turtles.

Also why the hell would an australian want to go to the beach in europe anyway? Their beaches are sh*** pebbly things that are way over crowded. You go to europe for culture, nightlife, the alps. Not beaches. Anywhere that is good in Europe costs money. Eastern Europe and Portugal are cheaper. They are also sh***er then Italy, France, Germany.

Do you like pretty flowers? Im gussing you do. I have a sixth sense. Netherlands the place to be in April for seeing pretty flowers with the Tulip festival. Can also smoke weed legally there. Although smoking weed legally aint really different to smoking weed illegally so its a bit of a tourist con.

The balance between expensive and cheap that is still good is the west side of eastern europe. Berlin is the go and it has awesome nightlife. The you will forget which day of the week it is and probably have to tell the coppers why you have no pants on at 7am sort of awesome. except they will only speak german and what you think they are saying is keep f**** partying. Every secodn word thry say sounds like f***. Their chicks are hot too. And not just the female coppers but most females in germany of an appropriate age. Do Berlin and then Prague. Lots of pubs to get sh**faced in Prague on the cheap if you avoid the main square and if anyone asks what Prague is like you say the bridge was like a fairytale dream. A f*** dream.

If you want to ski and see northern lights and drink beer with eskimos then Lapland is the place to go. Ok it is a bit racist to call them eskimos but they travel by dog sleigh. What would you call them?

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2002
In a good place
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
in april there is no where to go for sun and beaches in europe. not spain, not portugal not greece and not even turkey. Its still fu**** cold. if you want beach stay in the UAE, go to oman next door or fly down to the seychelles. One of the best islands in the world and april is one of the best times to go. And Seychelles is way way better then Mauritius and closer to Dubai too. However if you aint taking a chick with you then you will probably be bored as sh*** unless you like giant turtles.

Also why the hell would an australian want to go to the beach in europe anyway? Their beaches are sh*** pebbly things that are way over crowded. You go to europe for culture, nightlife, the alps. Not beaches. Anywhere that is good in Europe costs money. Eastern Europe and Portugal are cheaper. They are also sh***er then Italy, France, Germany.

Do you like pretty flowers? Im gussing you do. I have a sixth sense. Netherlands the place to be in April for seeing pretty flowers with the Tulip festival. Can also smoke weed legally there. Although smoking weed legally aint really different to smoking weed illegally so its a bit of a tourist con.

The balance between expensive and cheap that is still good is the west side of eastern europe. Berlin is the go and it has awesome nightlife. The you will forget which day of the week it is and probably have to tell the coppers why you have no pants on at 7am sort of awesome. except they will only speak german and what you think they are saying is keep f**** partying. Every secodn word thry say sounds like f***. Their chicks are hot too. And not just the female coppers but most females in germany of an appropriate age. Do Berlin and then Prague. Lots of pubs to get sh**faced in Prague on the cheap if you avoid the main square and if anyone asks what Prague is like you say the bridge was like a fairytale dream. A f*** dream.

If you want to ski and see northern lights and drink beer with eskimos then Lapland is the place to go. Ok it is a bit racist to call them eskimos but they travel by dog sleigh. What would you call them?

thanks for your detailed advice seeds, im taking it all in. will be flying a girl over, defiantly will look at your netherlands, berlin and prague option

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
thanks for your detailed advice seeds, im taking it all in. will be flying a girl over, defiantly will look at your netherlands, berlin and prague option
The girl could change things, particularly if she is the keeper type, as they usually want to see sh*** during the day and like go outside and stuff rather then just party and drink.

Prague and Berlin will still be quite cold outside in April if you arent full of alcohol. If the chick likely wants to go outside sober then Italy may be a better option at that time of year as the weather will be reaching the low twneties. Rome - Florence - Venice for 3-4 nights each and maybe a couple of days driving around Tuscany if thats your thing. This is probably 3 of the top 6 prettiest large towns in Europe when not crowded and crowds wont be too large in April assuming its not easter weekend. italy is possible to do on the cheap if you choose the right places to stay and dont eat next to tourist hot spots. The food is sh** at tourist hot spots anyway so aint missing much. if you want to save money skip the art galleries and just go inside the free churches and stare up at the roof. You will be gobsmacked. Also wherever you go always mention you are on honeymoon. More often then not it will get you free glasses and bottles of wine and prosecco.

Cant speak to much for the quality of the nightclubs and pubs as we did italy on my honeymoon and mrs seeds was already up the duff at the time so she wouldnt drink or dance. I had to drink all the free wine we kept being given at restaurants on my own. Such a shame.

If your chick is into romance then rent a car for 3 days between rome and florence and do the tuscany towns. really cant go wrong as all the towns are from a postcard. There aint much to do but eat and shag and go wow its so fu*** pretty. And she will want to shag you extra hard in Tuscany. My wife started vomiting whilst we were in Tuscany but it didnt stop her desires one bit.

Spain and a Portugal are ok but dont have the wow factor of the three big italian towns and the beaches and islands are too cold to enjoy in april which is really the only advantage they have over italy unless you really like spanish food. Villages are nice but no better then Tuscany.

Paris is the other obvious spot to go for romance but its impossible to do Paris on the cheap. Plus Ive never seen the sun in Paris. The sun just doesnt happen there. Same in the UK.

Go to Croatia and a few of the other not so common greek islands like Kefalonia.

Cheap and beautiful

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns

Constanta Romania or Sunny Beach Bulgaria

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I wouldn't go to Croatia, incredibly busy, overrun, and it's an Aussie hot spot.

Go to Portugal. Lisbon is a bit seedy in places but Porto is *in unreal. Cool place, cheap good food, yeah.

Go to Croatia and a few of the other not so common greek islands like Kefalonia.

Cheap and beautiful

Just did this in July. Admittedly, s**t time due to overcrowding (poles, germans and aussies everywhere)
And I didn't really enjoy it. Bosnia though, loved it. Mostar is a charming little town and I felt Sarajevo was rushed. (problem with tours, but parents paid so I wont say no - Gotta love family weddings abroad.)

Just did this in July. Admittedly, s**t time due to overcrowding (poles, germans and aussies everywhere)
And I didn't really enjoy it. Bosnia though, loved it. Mostar is a charming little town and I felt Sarajevo was rushed. (problem with tours, but parents paid so I wont say no - Gotta love family weddings abroad.)
Croatia was overcrowded? or the greek islands? Tbh i wouldnt be suprised at that time of year. I went in late April so it wasnt that busy.

Did you go to Kefalonia? I would be very suprised if it was busy as it isnt as popular as the other islands, but a hell of alot nicer

Croatia was overcrowded? or the greek islands? Tbh i wouldnt be suprised at that time of year. I went in late April so it wasnt that busy.

Did you go to Kefalonia? I would be very suprised if it was busy as it isnt as popular as the other islands, but a hell of alot nicer

Croatia.
Admittedly, I was in split for Croatia vs Spain and in Dubrovnik for Croatia vs Russia so the local said we’re out with the tourists, and we were in Dubrovnik on a weekend with 3 or 4 cruise ships in.

Did Santorini (where the wedding was) and once you cleared the harbour, it’s quite spacious. Not too busy. Not as bad as Croatia or Athens.

Croatia.
Admittedly, I was in split for Croatia vs Spain and in Dubrovnik for Croatia vs Russia so the local said we’re out with the tourists, and we were in Dubrovnik on a weekend with 3 or 4 cruise ships in.

Did Santorini (where the wedding was) and once you cleared the harbour, it’s quite spacious. Not too busy. Not as bad as Croatia or Athens.
Split surprised me at how small it was. I had this picture in my head that it would be a big city but it is anything but that.

Santorini is nice but I can't help but feel it is a tad over rated. Oia is beautiful but that is what everyone shows you in the pictures anyway. I found the rest of the place rather run down (that was 4 years ago) so it could well have changed a little bit

I did go to the winery there which possibly had the worst wine I have ever had, the view was pretty good though

I’m looking at travelling from Italy through Slovenia down to Croatia in May into early June next yea, rovinj in the north then down to split somewhere in between and an island.
just the planning stages at the moment and first time to Croatia travelled Italy many times

Any suggestions ? Not into partying, quiet locations restaurants day trips etc

Thanks

I thought I would tack on to this thread.

I have just gotten my passport and have 3 weeks off in May.
I've never been on a plane before!
Looking for any suggestions to countries/continents that I could make the most of in that period of time.
Looked into Europe at least Poland (ww2) but money wise Asia seems a cheaper option.
Then we have NZ.

Looking for any suggestions to countries/continents that I could make the most of in that period of time.
Looked into Europe at least Poland (ww2) but money wise Asia seems a cheaper option.
Then we have NZ.
Maybe go China

Asia/Nz I’d highly recommend just so you can get used to flying before being stuck on 2 flights to Europe or something or the long flight to the americas.

And I think China is cheap (was when I went there a few years back) and it’s a whole new culture rather than just going for the cheap alcohol options in south East asia.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,

Then we have NZ.
As a frequent traveller I’d stay closer to home with only 3 weeks holiday. As a rule we won’t head to Europe for anything less than 4-5 weeks as you lose anywhere from 4-5 days travelling there depending on your flights and connections. Asia is fantastic and has something for everyone. We still enjoy a week or two in the boozey areas like Bali, Phuket etc every 6 months just to recharge the batteries but also love China and Taiwan. Flights to Hong Kong are dirt cheap ATM, around $500 return and the city is great for a couple of days and with the new HSR to China in full operation now you can get from Hong Kong to Shanghai in around 8 hours or Beijing in around 9 hours. So much to see and do in China and the prices are amazingly cheap. We have now done close to a dozen trips there and still have only seen a fraction of the country

As a frequent traveller I’d stay closer to home with only 3 weeks holiday. As a rule we won’t head to Europe for anything less than 4-5 weeks as you lose anywhere from 4-5 days travelling there depending on your flights and connections. Asia is fantastic and has something for everyone. We still enjoy a week or two in the boozey areas like Bali, Phuket etc every 6 months just to recharge the batteries but also love China and Taiwan. Flights to Hong Kong are dirt cheap ATM, around $500 return and the city is great for a couple of days and with the new HSR to China in full operation now you can get from Hong Kong to Shanghai in around 8 hours or Beijing in around 9 hours. So much to see and do in China and the prices are amazingly cheap. We have now done close to a dozen trips there and still have only seen a fraction of the country
Thanks mate I really appreciate the tip.wow you've done some travelling!

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Thanks mate I really appreciate the tip.wow you've done some travelling!
We are relatively debt free and both have work long hours to save plenty and it all goes towards holidays. We aim for 14-16 weeks a year OS

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
4-5 days? Its 24 hours To get there. Some flights can do it in under 23. If its taking you 4-5 days you are doing it very very wrong.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
4-5 days? Its 24 hours To get there. Some flights can do it in under 23. If its taking you 4-5 days you are doing it very very wrong.
As I said it all depends on connection times, stop overs etc. Etihad is one that has weird times. We have done Sydney to London twice this year with them and it’s a full day to get there and just over 2 days to get back with their schedule and that’s without throwing in domestic legs to your home city if you are unlucky enough not to live in Sydney or Melbourne. A lot of people if flying economy try to break their trips off with a stop over at a hub aswell which adds time. For first time travellers or those who aren’t keen on flying I’d definitely recommend a stop over in either direction.

Ciderhound

Cancelled
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Croatia.

Split is a tourist trap. Best thing is getting on the ferry off to the islands of heading an hour down the coast to the makarska region.

Back