Travel Travel ideas please

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
As I said it all depends on connection times, stop overs etc. Etihad is one that has weird times. We have done Sydney to London twice this year with them and it’s a full day to get there and just over 2 days to get back with their schedule and that’s without throwing in domestic legs to your home city if you are unlucky enough not to live in Sydney or Melbourne. A lot of people if flying economy try to break their trips off with a stop over at a hub aswell which adds time. For first time travellers or those who aren’t keen on flying I’d definitely recommend a stop over in either direction.
Stopovers mean you are doubling your airport time as you have to do the whole immigration thing twice. Only worth it if you plan to spend a week or so at the stopover destination. You must be trying to fly the cheapest flights possible if it takes you two days to get back I never do connections with more then 4 hour waits. Need to factor in opportunity cost of wasting an extra day in airports and doing extra plane legs when going for those slightly cheaper tickets. Thats a day you miss being on holidays. Its not worth it.

Brad Goodman

His name isn't important
Oct 7, 2002
AFL Club
Collingwood
Stopovers mean you are doubling your airport time as you have to do the whole immigration thing twice. Only worth it if you plan to spend a week or so at the stopover destination. You must be trying to fly the cheapest flights possible if it takes you two days to get back I never do connections with more then 4 hour waits. Need to factor in opportunity cost of wasting an extra day in airports and doing extra plane legs when going for those slightly cheaper tickets. Thats a day you miss being on holidays. Its not worth it.

Flying back from the UK last year my fiance and I spent 48 hours in Singapore, it was great.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
Once was a mixture of business and first class and the other straight business on Etihad. Departed Heathrow at just after 2 in the arvo and arrived into Sydney just before 7am 2 days later. Unfortunately 8 hour connection in Abu Dhabi. Due to availability that is all we could get at the time. As a rule I try to grab connections with 4 hours or less if possible

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Once was a mixture of business and first class and the other straight business on Etihad. Departed Heathrow at just after 2 in the arvo and arrived into Sydney just before 7am 2 days later. Unfortunately 8 hour connection in Abu Dhabi. Due to availability that is all we could get at the time. As a rule I try to grab connections with 4 hours or less if possible
Must of lucked out. From australia to europe through dubai you can get very short connections. On the way back to australia they are usually about 4 hours unless your flight from europe is in the afternoon and then you have to wait longer due to arriving in dubai in the middle of the night.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Flying back from the UK last year my fiance and I spent 48 hours in Singapore, it was great.
I travel to singapore regularly but never for holidays. Ive always wondered what people do for holidays there? It seems to be the most sterile boring place on the planet with the most expensive drinks outside of saudi arabia. Is there anything fun to do? My work colleagues who live there all hate the place.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Must of lucked out. From australia to europe through dubai you can get very short connections. On the way back to australia they are usually about 4 hours unless your flight from europe is in the afternoon and then you have to wait longer due to arriving in dubai in the middle of the night.

We wanted to fly with Etihad as we had a stack of AAdvantage miles that we had stockpiled, and that was the only award flights available at the time. There was unfortunately no award flights for the earlier flight from Heathrow that only has a 2 1/2 hour connection.
Unless we are planning to stop over for a couple of days like we always prefer a sub 4 hour connection.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I travel to singapore regularly but never for holidays. Ive always wondered what people do for holidays there? It seems to be the most sterile boring place on the planet with the most expensive drinks outside of saudi arabia. Is there anything fun to do? My work colleagues who live there all hate the place.
When our son was younger we found plenty to do and would often stay for a day or two as a stopover but it’s very rarely we go via Singapore anymore and if we do it’s as a transfer.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
When our son was younger we found plenty to do and would often stay for a day or two as a stopover but it’s very rarely we go via Singapore anymore and if we do it’s as a transfer.
I dont know what it used to be like but now its basically just a giant slab of concrete where everything is ridiculously expensive and tourists walk around taking photos of hotels as there is nothing better to look at. They have these giant tree scupltures that are nice to walk around for 15 mins but other then that I would have no idea what to do.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I dont know what it used to be like but now its basically just a giant slab of concrete where everything is ridiculously expensive and tourists walk around taking photos of hotels as there is nothing better to look at. They have these giant tree scupltures that are nice to walk around for 15 mins but other then that I would have no idea what to do.
The zoo and Sentosa island are great for kids

Brad Goodman

His name isn't important
Oct 7, 2002
AFL Club
Collingwood

Look we probably spent as much time as you willingly would if you'd been there before, but I reckon any city in the world that you've not been to before can keep you interested for 48 hours, even if it's just walking through the streets of somewhere new and looking at buildings.

It seems to be the most sterile boring place on the planet....... Is there anything fun to do?

but now its basically just a giant slab of concrete

Trying to wonder what you enjoy then.

Its up there with London as a city I can’t get bored with.
Zoos the best I’ve been to
Sentosa is a fun day out.
Shopping puts Melbourne to shame
Then you can throw in the ww2 sights
Cuisine

And you obviously don’t know where to go when it’s comes to drinks.

It’s better than anywhere in Australia, albeit a little more expensive for food.
Would rather a week away there then any city is Australia.......bar MAYBE Sydney.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong

Cuisine

It’s better than anywhere in Australia, albeit a little more expensive for food.
Would rather a week away there then any city is Australia.......bar MAYBE Sydney.
I travel to singapore often. Any decent food is ridiculously expensive as it is all shipped in.

Sentosa is a tourist trap dump like Fiji Nadi or the Haiwain capital. Crappy beaches. No cultural relevance. Mostly outdated hotels with no wow factor.

I dont usually shop on holidays so cant really talk about that aspect although I imagine most products are shipped in given there is little manufacturing in Singapore.

Zoos are good but who travels somewhere for the zoos? We have good zoos in Australia.

Im not a fan of Australian travel either. But I would much rather spend a week in Melbourne, tassie or nth australia then Singapore. I hate Sydney though. With a passion. Would rather stab myself in the eye then spend a week in Sydney.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Just did this in July. Admittedly, s**t time due to overcrowding (poles, germans and aussies everywhere)
And I didn't really enjoy it. Bosnia though, loved it. Mostar is a charming little town and I felt Sarajevo was rushed. (problem with tours, but parents paid so I wont say no - Gotta love family weddings abroad.)

In Sarajevo now. Interesting city. Train to Mostar tomorrow then bus to Dubrovnik

Sep 3, 2002
In a good place
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NBA Winning Machines/Dallas Cowboys
brooo. so jealous. where abouts are you?

just north of the city at the Parque das Nações , where the expo was

have the most amazing view from our apartment

56920229_10157351017083413_514791765031518208_n.jpg

Cuisine

x2 Singapore is a truely amazing city imo

Back